Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by 5rings:
Originally posted by 190836:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
bulls**t.

how do you explain the bad throws? fumbles at the snap?

How do you explain picking him number one over all.

who else were we supposed to pick

How about Rogers.I think he is doing pretty good

he was also in a different situation that what Smith went through. Put Rodgers in the same BS that Nolan did to Smith and you have the same outcome.

yeah............right.

So you are telling me that if we had drafted Rodgers we would have had a super start QB from day 1? this must be your first year watching football

No. But if you're going to tell me that starting a QB during his rookie year is detrimental to his development, then maybe its you that is naive, not I.......

No I am saying having the worst OLine in 49er history, 5 separate OC's in 5 consecutive years and a HC that throws you under the bus for playing injured. That is detrimental to his development. Put Smith in Rodgers situation where he sat and learned from a HOF QB and you have the same outcome that you have with Rodgers.
sign him

oh

Let's hope Steve is right. We have plenty of games to find out.
  • ZRF80
bulls**t.

he was also in a different situation that what Smith went through. Put Rodgers in the same BS that Nolan did to Smith and you have the same outcome.

yeah............right.

So you are telling me that if we had drafted Rodgers we would have had a super start QB from day 1? this must be your first year watching football

No. But if you're going to tell me that starting a QB during his rookie year is detrimental to his development, then maybe its you that is naive, not I.......

No I am saying having the worst OLine in 49er history, 5 separate OC's in 5 consecutive years and a HC that throws you under the bus for playing injured. That is detrimental to his development. Put Smith in Rodgers situation where he sat and learned from a HOF QB and you have the same outcome that you have with Rodgers.

You forgot to mention his age in that long list of excuses......
bulls**t.

yeah............right.

You forgot to mention his age in that long list of excuses......

you can just add that to your Hillusions
Alexcuses vs. Hillusions

I like it.

Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Alexcuses vs. Hillusions

I like it.

nothing new. Hill swingers will always be Hill swingers. Some have realized that Hill sucked some are just butthurt about him LOSING his starting job to Smith who clearly out played him and some just refuse to give up on Hill
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by Eastcoast49er:
He should know he was a late bloomer his self and vert smart like Alex he has his Law Degree.

Is it a late bloomer when you're stuck on the bench behind Montana? I mean seriously, Steve would have started on ANY other team 2-3 years before he did for us.

How do you explain the sucky years in Tampa? There were plenty of those. It took him time to develop. Not every player is like Ryan or Flacco. The more common example is a QB taking time to develop.
Originally posted by danimal:
bulls**t.

Most ridiculous argument I ever hear in the Alex debate. Every single position was a position of need. Does Ronnie Brown or Braylon Edwards ring a bell? How about Ware, Merriman or Rolle? shoot how about Benson? Hows about Roddy White? Jammal Brown?

who else were we supposed to pick?

I remember the debate being about Smith (after the decision had been made to take him over Rodgers), Rolle and Edwards. Ware and Merriman were not on the radar as top five picks. They should have been, but that is hindsight. If Smith gave us a glimpse of things to come, I would much rather have him over Edwards (I'll take Crabtree) and Rolle (not the shut-down corner he was advertised to be.)
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He should know he was a late bloomer his self and vert smart like Alex he has his Law Degree.

Is it a late bloomer when you're stuck on the bench behind Montana? I mean seriously, Steve would have started on ANY other team 2-3 years before he did for us.

How do you explain the sucky years in Tampa? There were plenty of those. It took him time to develop. Not every player is like Ryan or Flacco. The more common example is a QB taking time to develop.

That just makes to much sense. It is much easier to just hate the guy and make up terms like Alexuses

Originally posted by Mospeed:
He was a 20 year old academic

He's now a 25 year football player. I don't understand how people could be so mystified about his emergence all of the sudden.

Let's wait and see on the football player part...I agree that he is 25.
Alexcuses vs. Hillusions

I like it.

yep
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

That just makes to much sense. It is much easier to just hate the guy and make up terms like Alexuses
bulls**t.

Most ridiculous argument I ever hear in the Alex debate. Every single position was a position of need. Does Ronnie Brown or Braylon Edwards ring a bell? How about Ware, Merriman or Rolle? shoot how about Benson? Hows about Roddy White? Jammal Brown?

who else were we supposed to pick?

Yeah, that's not using hindsight much.

Guess what genius, the people actually doing the drafting, don't have the benefit of hindsight. They don't have a crystal ball, which apparently you do.

nope, no crystal ball....but I am right more often then I am wrong. And I make my predictions in March every year....so sorry Partner....no hindsight here.

I would like to see these "predictions" you make every year. Please post the links to the threads thank you

yeah right...I am going to post links for you. Its just common sense really....here is what I was mainly concerned about back in March of 2005.

Alex Smith
Small School = RED FLAG
Gimmick Offense = RED FLAG
Took time to even become starter at UTAH = RED FLAG

Aaron Rodgers
I kind of liked him but not really...he had a really bad final bowl game too

49ers + ANY QB at that time
Offensive Line, NOTHING Good = RED FLAG
Weapons, NONE = RED FLAG
Any coach on staff experienced developing QB's, None = RED FLAG

To you it was clear we needed to draft a QB at 1.1....to me it was clear that the last thing we should do is draft a QB at 1.1

LoL! You are ridiculous with the small school BS. Hold my hand while I take you to school...

Demarcus Ware - Troy State (not a big school)
Jery Rice - Mississippi Valley State (not a big school)
Terrell Owens - Tennesseee Chattanooga (not a big school)
Steve McNair - Alcorn State (not a big school)
Marvin Harrison - Syracuse (not a big school)
Brian Dawkins - Clemson (not a big school)
Dwight Clark - Clemson (not a big school)
Darren Sharper - William & Mary (not a big school)
Jason Taylor - Akron (not a big school)
Ben Roethlisberger - Miami(Ohio) (not a big school)
Greg Ellis - North Carolina (not a big school)
Randy Moss - Marshall (not a big school)
Donovan McNabb - Syracuse (not a big school)
LT - Texas Christian (not a big school)
Julius Peppers - North Carolina (not a big school)
Terrell Suggs - Arizona State (not a big school)
Phillip Rivers - North Carolina State (not a big school)
Steven Jackson - Oregon State (not a big school)
Logan Mankins - Fresno State (not a big school)
Steve Young - BYU (not a big school)
Mario Williams - North Carolina State (not a big school)
Deangelo Williams - Memphis (not a big school)
Greg Jennings - Western Michigan (not a big school)
i totally agree with Alex Smith getting the nod as the starting qb...but i find it truly hillarious that these Hill haters act like they knew for sure what alex had to bring to the table...truth is NOBODY knew that alex was going to play so well...he looked horrid in preseason...he still may stink it up NOBODY knows
Share 49ersWebzone