LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Smith's fresh start, outside threat Crabtree could awaken Niners

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i cannot wait for sunday. I know we're probably gonna lose, but I can't wait to see how the offense performs. Crabs/smith in particular.
Originally posted by mayo63:
I really hope it happens for him and the team. It will be a b***h to have to waste a draft pick on a Qb if we have our franchise Qb right here.

Drafting another QB would be foolish,not only do they have Nate Davis(a QB) if Alex doesn't come through,O-LINE by far is most important in next year's draft.
Originally posted by NJNiner:
Keep in mind that Alex is going make a few mistakes here and there, we just have to be patient while he gets used to being the starting QB again. Don't get me wrong, I am as hopeful as the rest of you that Alex will do well.

However if he does stink it up like in the past it nice to know Nate Davis is waiting to get on the field behind him. I wish Smith the best but if this becomes a Quinn/Anderson affair in SF Sing is a p$%^y for not letting Davis play. This is the last year we should have a QB contriversy in SF considering we got 2 first rounders going into the next draft.
Originally posted by Super5:
I really hope it happens for him and the team. It will be a b***h to have to waste a draft pick on a Qb if we have our franchise Qb right here.

Drafting another QB would be foolish,not only do they have Nate Davis(a QB) if Alex doesn't come through,O-LINE by far is most important in next year's draft.

Yeah, cause usually when you o-line is dominant guys like Kyle Orton can look like friggen pro-bowlers! You wanna build the care before you add the ornaments! -And besides, most of the QBs in the 2010 draft are beginning to look terribly overrated, and most of them aren't even in pro-style offenses in college right now.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Oct 28, 2009 at 3:29 PM ]
Originally posted by hklar17:
It just feels like a whole new season

i know right
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

i know right

can't wait to see what happens to this place is smith throws 3 Int's and fumbles a time or two.
  • utah49er
  • Info N/A
I have always stated that Smith got a bum deal. His problems are very well documented so I will not go through them again. I honestly thought he would be traded or released before he had an opportunity, and if that happened, I hoped he would pull a Drew Brees and make San Fran pay for their mistakes as Brees is doing to San Diego.

Who do you think San Diego would want NOW? Brees or Rivers?
I am happy Smith gets his chance and 49er fans should be too.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

i know right

can't wait to see what happens to this place is smith throws 3 Int's and fumbles a time or two.

dude not cool dont kill my excitement
Originally posted by utah49er:
I have always stated that Smith got a bum deal. His problems are very well documented so I will not go through them again. I honestly thought he would be traded or released before he had an opportunity, and if that happened, I hoped he would pull a Drew Brees and make San Fran pay for their mistakes as Brees is doing to San Diego.

we're all happy that he's in there for one reason or another. Either we've always believed in his abilities and now he finally gets a chance to show them. OR, we're happy he's in there so we can see if he's worth a s**t. If not, at least we know we need to bring in another QB this offseason.

i'm of the latter.

i was hoping the same thing

we're all happy that he's in there for one reason or another. Either we've always believed in his abilities and now he finally gets a chance to show them. OR, we're happy he's in there so we can see if he's worth a s**t. If not, at least we know we need to bring in another QB this offseason.

i'm of the latter.

I'm REEEEAAAALLLLYYY hoping Smith is legit. If we can use those 2 first round picks on something other than a QB..that would be AWESOME
Originally posted by WestCoast:

i'm of the latter.

I'm REEEEAAAALLLLYYY hoping Smith is legit. If we can use those 2 first round picks on something other than a QB..that would be AWESOME

same here man, that would be ideal. I'm just glad we'll finally know for sure by the end of the season.
The big thing that no one has mentioned is that this is Smith's second stint in a "digit system" based offense.

He had to put away what he learned in the Martz system and re-digest digit terminology. It took time...but what we are seeing is Alex's familiarity with a system that he has played in before. This shouldn't surprise anyone.

Also, his footwork has improved DRAMATICALLY.

Add the two together, and you have a QB that is hitting his second or third read when he hits his back foot on the last step of his drop. This means that he is getting rid of the ball much faster than he used to.

One of the reasons why the O-line has looked like sh*t is that the QB (Hill) has a bad habit of hanging on to the ball too long, and does not know how to throw it away.

With a quicker release and the ability to "see" at least 3 of his potential reads, he will be less prone to getting sacked and giving away the ball.

He may not lead us to a win on Sunday, but I am willing to wager that he will play better than anyone expects.
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
The big thing that no one has mentioned is that this is Smith's second stint in a "digit system" based offense.

He had to put away what he learned in the Martz system and re-digest digit terminology. It took time...but what we are seeing is Alex's familiarity with a system that he has played in before. This shouldn't surprise anyone.

Also, his footwork has improved DRAMATICALLY.

Add the two together, and you have a QB that is hitting his second or third read when he hits his back foot on the last step of his drop. This means that he is getting rid of the ball much faster than he used to.

One of the reasons why the O-line has looked like sh*t is that the QB (Hill) has a bad habit of hanging on to the ball too long, and does not know how to throw it away.

With a quicker release and the ability to "see" at least 3 of his potential reads, he will be less prone to getting sacked and giving away the ball.

He may not lead us to a win on Sunday, but I am willing to wager that he will play better than anyone expects.

I've noticed the same thing. Over time, Hill's pocket presence has gone waaaay down hill, lol. He doesn't throw the ball away, and apparently was tipping the snap count. I agree he was making the oline look worse than it is.

Still, the Oline has problems, Chilo for example.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by Super5:

Yeah, cause usually when you o-line is dominant guys like Kyle Orton can look like friggen pro-bowlers! You wanna build the care before you add the ornaments! -And besides, most of the QBs in the 2010 draft are beginning to look terribly overrated, and most of them aren't even in pro-style offenses in college right now.

It's nice to see logic here. These college QBs are NOT impressing me at all, and with all of the transition problems most "gimmick" offense QBs have, let's get our core first and let them mesh to CREATE the quarterback we need.
First two picks should be Eric Berry/OT and OG/OT. With a pocket and 2-3 seconds of more, imagine Alex Smith of the 2nd half of the Texans game ALL game. Hello to the pro-bowl! Especially with Crabtree, Morgan, Davis, and Gore to spread it around to like he was last game.
Share 49ersWebzone