MM-49ers didn't run spread offense more with Smith

Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by MadMartz:
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
I will have to rewatch the game but i dont recall Hill having any 3 wr sets. Also Alex saw atleast one 5 WR set.

lol...there werent even 5 WR active for the game

Watch the tape, and when VD was lined up in the slot I suppose that wasnt a 3 wr set? When you put someone out wide its a WR regardless of their position.

the 49ers could line up 2 TEs, 2 RB's and a tackle out wide, but I wouldnt call it a 5wr set...

Well when you line them up wide (at WR) thats exactly what it is.

So if a TE motions out he is no longer a TE, hmm interesting. Wasn't aware that would make them a WR

We have athletic pass catching TE's. We spread them out LIKE WR's.

We did everything a 5 WR set does, except the official position Walker and Davis play is "TE."

How would you prefer we call it? The "three WR, put your WR-like TE's out in the slot formation"?

They did have a 5 WR Set but they didn't have 5 WR. and Hill Did have a 3 and 4 WR set but he never had 3 WR on the field. he did have 2wr a TE and they move a RB out to WR. the second half they where behind so they did flex the TE more and bring in a third WR. there 5 wr isn't the same as the colts 5 wr. Walker, V.D. and a RB with 2 WR is not the same as 1 TE and 4 WR.
I went back and watched the shortcut. The 1st two TD passes came from the single back 2TE set.

The first was the standard single back, 2TE look with a WR on each side of the field.

The second was with both TEs on the right, and both WRs on the left.

The last one looked like 5WRs, but was a single back 3WR set. Gore was split wide left, with a WR in the weak slot, two wide receivers lined up on the strong side with VD.

Overall, from watching the replay, it's pretty obvious that the single back 3WR set is our best package.
I'd like to add that I like the idea of the 4 and 5WR look from the single back, 3WR set, with Gore and VD lined up split wide at times. This lets us keep our base package on the field and create mismatches.... if only it would work. That would be nice.
Originally posted by mississippi_sam:
I went back and watched the shortcut. The 1st two TD passes came from the single back 2TE set.

The first was the standard single back, 2TE look with a WR on each side of the field.

The second was with both TEs on the right, and both WRs on the left.

The last one looked like 5WRs, but was a single back 3WR set. Gore was split wide left, with a WR in the weak slot, two wide receivers lined up on the strong side with VD.

Overall, from watching the replay, it's pretty obvious that the single back 3WR set is our best package.

Great job. Hope we keep using it successfully.
What does it matter if it spread or not. We have all seen Indy, New Enagland, Arizona, and any other team with a decent qb run this type of offense. It works, Indy and New England do this all the time even when they have a lead. Also Hill cant make these throws. The houston game was a perfect example go back and watch hills passes and see Smiths passes look like they are on a rope. Night and Day.
I'd like to add that I like the idea of the 4 and 5WR look from the single back, 3WR set, with Gore and VD lined up split wide at times. This lets us keep our base package on the field and create mismatches.... if only it would work. That would be nice.

Good blocking makes it work.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

If you watch some of the throws he makes in the Pics thread (the .gifs that Boast posted) he does have protection. If that can hold, our offensive will make great strides before the last quarter of the season.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

If you watch some of the throws he makes in the Pics thread (the .gifs that Boast posted) he does have protection. If that can hold, our offensive will make great strides before the last quarter of the season.

it just seems like he had protection because Hill was holding onto the ball longer than Hill and longer than the line could protect him.

it just seems like he had protection because Hill was holding onto the ball longer than Hill and longer than the line could protect him.

wait what?

wait what?

long night no sleep. Hill then Smith damn 2 more hours at work then I can go to sleep

wait what?

long night no sleep. Hill then Smith damn 2 more hours at work then I can go to sleep

haha okay that's what i thought. but u have to agree that the line played better for smith

wait what?

haha okay that's what i thought. but u have to agree that the line played better for smith

maybe it is a case that Smith elevated the play of his teammates
The stat I saw said Smith only had 2.73 seconds average to Hill's 2.8 seconds average. According to that Hill had longer to throw the ball.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
The stat I saw said Smith only had 2.73 seconds average to Hill's 2.8 seconds average. According to that Hill had longer to throw the ball.

YEah thats pretty interesting. I thought Alex had more presence in the pocket and picked his spots when to run.I think alex just showed he has the ability to avoid the rush whil still looking downfield which is something he hadn't really shown in the past. If he can continue to build on that then our offense will definitely see alot of improvement this week.
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by Gavintech:

YEah thats pretty interesting. I thought Alex had more presence in the pocket and picked his spots when to run.I think alex just showed he has the ability to avoid the rush whil still looking downfield which is something he hadn't really shown in the past. If he can continue to build on that then our offense will definitely see alot of improvement this week.

Maybe Smith is beginning to see and anticipate where his guys will be open, and throws it just a little quicker. Anticipation is a hellova thing for a qb to have, all great qb has it. Any qb worth his salt has to acquire it. It comes with experience and knowing the D's reaction. But he has to have confident in his arm to get the ball there in time, because the window only stays open for so long. I'm rooting for Smith to do well this Sunday cause this team has been without good qb play for soooo long.