LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

MM-49ers didn't run spread offense more with Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/10/player-review-with-a-little-bit-of-myth-busting.html

Interesting. It's amazing how much more the field is spread when you have a QB who can throw the ball, and that that doesn't mean we ran a different offense.

Fine, it wasn't a "spread" offense.

But we did THROW the football a higher percentage of the time.

Smith, and even Hill, always seem to march down the field and score points, when we throw the ball a lot.

It seems to get our quarterback and O-line into a rhythm.

Smith came from a passing offense in college. Shotgun, spread, whatever, it doesn't matter as much.

But constantly throwing the football gets the quarterback into a rhythm, gives big chunks of yards, and just as importantly, get the defense to back up from the line of scrimmage so we can finally have an effective running game again.

Despite all of this being said and known for years, I will not be surprised at all if we start off the Colts game by running running running.

Then, people will post about how Smith still sucks etc.

If we had coach Erickson, running our offense, we would have a far more effective offense.

People were really low on him, but the poor guy had ZERO talent to work with at the time.

Now, the only time we pass the ball a lot is when we are down and NEED to score points.

It is truly unbelievable.

I don't disagree with the bold that it got the OL and the QB in a rythm. It did. But Hill dropped back to pass 13 times(11 attempts+2 sacks) in the first half and came away with 45 yards. That's not very good. The main reason Smith dropped back so many times is because we got behind by so much. I think we need to pass more, I agree with you there, but I don't agree that Shaun could've done the same thing, he couldn't make most of those throws or move around in the pocket as well as Alex. And Erickson is the guy who couldn't make Garcia, TO, Hearst, etc. work anymore. He had some talent. But that's a story for another day. Then he and Doneahoe decided to blow up the team, so it's his own fault he didn't have talent.
Originally posted by backontop:
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/10/player-review-with-a-little-bit-of-myth-busting.html

Interesting. It's amazing how much more the field is spread when you have a QB who can throw the ball, and that that doesn't mean we ran a different offense.

Smith, and even Hill, always seem to march down the field and score points, when we throw the ball a lot.

Smith came from a passing offense in college. Shotgun, spread, whatever, it doesn't matter as much.

But constantly throwing the football gets the quarterback into a rhythm, gives big chunks of yards, and just as importantly, get the defense to back up from the line of scrimmage so we can finally have an effective running game again.

Despite all of this being said and known for years, I will not be surprised at all if we start off the Colts game by running running running.

If we had coach Erickson, running our offense, we would have a far more effective offense.

People were really low on him, but the poor guy had ZERO talent to work with at the time.

Now, the only time we pass the ball a lot is when we are down and NEED to score points.

Why do people post like this? Are they afraid of using a sentence format?

why
does
that
bug
you
?
[ Edited by valrod33 on Oct 28, 2009 at 1:32 PM ]
I'm wondering if we do open it up a little now, cause according to MM's twitter Brandon Jones will be playing the x position behind Crabs this Sunday.
Originally posted by valrod33:

why
does
that
bug
you
?

Nope

Not

At

All.

What

Gave

you

that

idea

?

why
does
that
bug
you
?

Nope

Not

At

All.

What

Gave

you

that

idea

?

I

Have

No

Idea

But

This

Is

Fun

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I don't disagree with the bold that it got the OL and the QB in a rythm. It did. But Hill dropped back to pass 13 times(11 attempts+2 sacks) in the first half and came away with 45 yards. That's not very good. The main reason Smith dropped back so many times is because we got behind by so much. I think we need to pass more, I agree with you there, but I don't agree that Shaun could've done the same thing, he couldn't make most of those throws or move around in the pocket as well as Alex. And Erickson is the guy who couldn't make Garcia, TO, Hearst, etc. work anymore. He had some talent. But that's a story for another day. Then he and Doneahoe decided to blow up the team, so it's his own fault he didn't have talent.

OK

fine,

at

least we

agree that we

have to pass the ball more.

And yes, Smith certainly made a difference. My point is that even with Hill, we won the Arizona game and almost won the Minnisota game due to throwing the ball, albeit at the end.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Oct 28, 2009 at 1:38 PM ]

why
does
that
bug
you
?

Originally posted by Giant9er:

why
does
that
bug
you
?

Why
are
you
saying
thank
you?
Did
he
give
you
something
?
Originally posted by Giant9er:

why
does
that
bug
you
?

Why
are
you
saying
thank
you?
Did
he
give
you
something
?

i'm

just

and

cause

you

guys

are

really

I always wondered that s**t too. It's like some message board typing format

• dj43
Bill Walsh used to say that "the trouble with a run-first offense was that you could hold the ball for 15 plays over 10 minutes and wind up kicking a 27 yard field goal, if you didn't fumble it first. Then the other team would get the ball, throw if six times and score a touchdown in three minutes. You do that a couple of times and now you must throw the ball just to try to catch up."

Run-first didn't make sense to Walsh back then, and it doesn't make sense now either. Plus, the league has changed many rules to favor a strong passer because that is more exciting to fans.

"All hail, King Smith. Long live the king."
Originally posted by MadMartz:
I will have to rewatch the game but i dont recall Hill having any 3 wr sets. Also Alex saw atleast one 5 WR set.

lol...there werent even 5 WR active for the game
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by MadMartz:
I will have to rewatch the game but i dont recall Hill having any 3 wr sets. Also Alex saw atleast one 5 WR set.

lol...there werent even 5 WR active for the game

Watch the tape, and when VD was lined up in the slot I suppose that wasnt a 3 wr set? When you put someone out wide its a WR regardless of their position.
Originally posted by dj43:
Bill Walsh used to say that "the trouble with a run-first offense was that you could hold the ball for 15 plays over 10 minutes and wind up kicking a 27 yard field goal, if you didn't fumble it first. Then the other team would get the ball, throw if six times and score a touchdown in three minutes. You do that a couple of times and now you must throw the ball just to try to catch up."

Run-first didn't make sense to Walsh back then, and it doesn't make sense now either. Plus, the league has changed many rules to favor a strong passer because that is more exciting to fans.

"All hail, King Smith. Long live the king."

The 49ers will enter Sunday's game in Indianapolis with two new wrinkles on offense - Michael Crabtree and Alex Smith. Still, both Freeney and coach Jim Caldwell said their first priority would be stopping Frank Gore. In other words, neither expects the 49ers to suddenly become a pass-happy team. "I think the main thing is to stop the run, and that's important," Freeney said. "Once you do that, you get them into do doing some things they don't want to do every down."Link

This is what every defensive coordinator in the league thinks. Stop the run first.
Smith had success because he got into a throwing rhythm. The Colts are going to try and stop Frank, just like every other team in the league.

If Smith is the answer for this team, then we sure as heck better give him an opportunity to show it in his first start. If he is not the answer, then I guess it doesn't really matter either way; but we won't know unless we give him a chance within an up-tempo offense.
Another excuse for Shaun Hill bites the dust.
Share 49ersWebzone