There are 100 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MM-49ers didn't run spread offense more with Smith

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/10/player-review-with-a-little-bit-of-myth-busting.html

Interesting. It's amazing how much more the field is spread when you have a QB who can throw the ball, and that that doesn't mean we ran a different offense.
I will have to rewatch the game but i dont recall Hill having any 3 wr sets. Also Alex saw atleast one 5 WR set.
good read.
any formation that has more than One WR to the 49ers is a Spread Formation !
good s**t.
Well there you have it Hill swingers. Smith had the same type of play calling that Hill had and did nothing with
Originally posted by backontop:
Well there you have it Hill swingers. Smith had the same type of play calling that Hill had and did nothing with

this actually makes the performance more impressive. Same formations + Smith = more production.

Yup, and Smith had 1 tenth of a second less time in the pocket. I think it was mainly that when the D blitzes Shaun can't make them pay with his arm, and he couldn't move around in the pocket anymore.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadMartz:
I will have to rewatch the game but i dont recall Hill having any 3 wr sets. Also Alex saw atleast one 5 WR set.

No, it was 3 recievers, Vernon, and Gore all spread out like a 5 WR set. It is the same thing though.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/10/player-review-with-a-little-bit-of-myth-busting.html

Interesting. It's amazing how much more the field is spread when you have a QB who can throw the ball, and that that doesn't mean we ran a different offense.

Fine, it wasn't a "spread" offense.

But we did THROW the football a higher percentage of the time.

Smith, and even Hill, always seem to march down the field and score points, when we throw the ball a lot.

It seems to get our quarterback and O-line into a rhythm.

Smith came from a passing offense in college. Shotgun, spread, whatever, it doesn't matter as much.

But constantly throwing the football gets the quarterback into a rhythm, gives big chunks of yards, and just as importantly, get the defense to back up from the line of scrimmage so we can finally have an effective running game again.

Despite all of this being said and known for years, I will not be surprised at all if we start off the Colts game by running running running.

Then, people will post about how Smith still sucks etc.

If we had coach Erickson, running our offense, we would have a far more effective offense.

People were really low on him, but the poor guy had ZERO talent to work with at the time.

Now, the only time we pass the ball a lot is when we are down and NEED to score points.

It is truly unbelievable.

Yup, and Smith had 1 tenth of a second less time in the pocket. I think it was mainly that when the D blitzes Shaun can't make them pay with his arm, and he couldn't move around in the pocket anymore.

did somebody actually count that? hope they got paid for that research

On this topic I really don't care what they ran b/c they lost. It's Wednesday time to stop looking backwards. Hopefully whatever it is they were doing keeps on happening. Take that half and translate that into consecutive wins. And they can call it the moon man offense for all I care. .
Dumb article. They spread out our guys, regardless of their positions.
I like what MM said about Marcus Hudson! This guy seems to play great ball! He def stands out on ST, but is it possible that him and goldson are our future starting Safties??
Originally posted by maximill15:
I like what MM said about Marcus Hudson! This guy seems to play great ball! He def stands out on ST, but is it possible that him and goldson are our future starting Safties??

im counting on reggie smith, he played very well in the preseason and before he got hurt.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Fine, it wasn't a "spread" offense.

But we did THROW the football a higher percentage of the time.

Smith, and even Hill, always seem to march down the field and score points, when we throw the ball a lot.

It seems to get our quarterback and O-line into a rhythm.

Smith came from a passing offense in college. Shotgun, spread, whatever, it doesn't matter as much.

But constantly throwing the football gets the quarterback into a rhythm, gives big chunks of yards, and just as importantly, get the defense to back up from the line of scrimmage so we can finally have an effective running game again.

Despite all of this being said and known for years, I will not be surprised at all if we start off the Colts game by running running running.

Then, people will post about how Smith still sucks etc.

If we had coach Erickson, running our offense, we would have a far more effective offense.

People were really low on him, but the poor guy had ZERO talent to work with at the time.

Now, the only time we pass the ball a lot is when we are down and NEED to score points.

It is truly unbelievable.

Why do people post like this? Are they afraid of using a sentence format?