LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

O line will not give Smith time

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i think smiths ability to stretch the feild and actually use the young speedy WR's we have will hide some of the lines inadequacies. the line looked like s**t in the first half against houston and in the second they looked a lot better because of smiths pocket presence, mobility and quick reads. we definitely need help on the line but they will look a lot better without 8 or 9 men in the box like teams did when Hill was back there. in the draft we must address the o-line for once and for all. not in the 1st rounds though with all the play-making talent coming out, good linemen will get pushed further back. i hope we get the best OLB available if Eric Berry isnt still on the board, then a guy like CJ Spiller or Jahvid Best with the second 1st rounder to give us a great return man, RB, WR, all purpose playmaker. round two go DT and 3rd and beyond go O-line and whatever other need they see fit to address
I don't know if you guys have read all the articles posted on the home page but; one article pointed out that Smith actually had slightly less time in the pocket than Hill. Smith had an average of 2.72 seconds while Hill had 2.8. Big difference in play though.

Also, have we forgotten what's happened the last 4 years with revolving O-lineman? Ever year the line is different than it was the year before and struggles for the first 8 games or so. Then, after they have gelled, start to play astronomically better. How can we not expect the same thing this year under the same circumstances?
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonnydellfan:
I don't know if you guys have read all the articles posted on the home page but; one article pointed out that Smith actually had slightly less time in the pocket than Hill. Smith had an average of 2.72 seconds while Hill had 2.8. Big difference in play though.

Also, have we forgotten what's happened the last 4 years with revolving O-lineman? Ever year the line is different than it was the year before and struggles for the first 8 games or so. Then, after they have gelled, start to play astronomically better. How can we not expect the same thing this year under the same circumstances?

Because Smith got rid of the ball and was able to avoid pressure. Hill can't do this.
Think we all agree the OL is unstable...losing Pashos just makes it worse. However, the one bright spot I see is this may get Wragge on the field. I don't understand why he hasn't been brought into the mix before now. Rachal's struggling big-time, now Snyder will probably play RT, opening up RG for Wragge. No way can Singletary expect Rachal to handle the Indy DL.

Jumping ahead to the next draft...we need to take at least 3 OL...OT, OG, maybe a guy who can play both. This situation is why I like the idea of bringing in Shanahan to coach...he'd fix the OL and improve our RB corps. He's also the right guy to work w/Alex and Nate Davis. I like many things about Singletary...but I don't see him as the long-term answer at head coach.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Think we all agree the OL is unstable...losing Pashos just makes it worse. However, the one bright spot I see is this may get Wragge on the field. I don't understand why he hasn't been brought into the mix before now. Rachal's struggling big-time, now Snyder will probably play RT, opening up RG for Wragge. No way can Singletary expect Rachal to handle the Indy DL.

Jumping ahead to the next draft...we need to take at least 3 OL...OT, OG, maybe a guy who can play both. This situation is why I like the idea of bringing in Shanahan to coach...he'd fix the OL and improve our RB corps. He's also the right guy to work w/Alex and Nate Davis. I like many things about Singletary...but I don't see him as the long-term answer at head coach.

He's more of a motivator than a head coach. He already has serious short commings as a head coach. Personnel management and clock management come to mind. I don't believe we can win with him but he's good for PEP RALLY'S.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
i think smiths ability to stretch the feild and actually use the young speedy WR's we have will hide some of the lines inadequacies. the line looked like s**t in the first half against houston and in the second they looked a lot better because of smiths pocket presence, mobility and quick reads. we definitely need help on the line but they will look a lot better without 8 or 9 men in the box like teams did when Hill was back there. in the draft we must address the o-line for once and for all. not in the 1st rounds though with all the play-making talent coming out, good linemen will get pushed further back. i hope we get the best OLB available if Eric Berry isnt still on the board, then a guy like CJ Spiller or Jahvid Best with the second 1st rounder to give us a great return man, RB, WR, all purpose playmaker. round two go DT and 3rd and beyond go O-line and whatever other need they see fit to address

I would prefer to address the problem. Taking a kick returner in the first round is not addressing the problem. Taking an OT in the first round (2nd pick) and a guard in the second, with other later picks on the O line as well is addressing the problem.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

I would prefer to address the problem. Taking a kick returner in the first round is not addressing the problem. Taking an OT in the first round (2nd pick) and a guard in the second, with other later picks on the O line as well is addressing the problem.

I'm down with that thinking English. They must address the o line with top flight talent.

And that's a reason why trying to run the spread isn't gonna work at all. Especially with the Colts DE's. That would be playing right into there hands, and would give Manning more touches. You can't take one half off football against a prevent defense and think that's the new offensive approach. Smith will get killed again.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

I share part of your thoughts but we have to give him at least 1 full season before
making any serious judgments.
  • JC49
  • Veteran
I read that Alex was actually getting rid of the ball a fraction of a second quicker than Hill and that he made only two poor throws in more attempts versus four poor throws for Hill. With Crabtree having sticky hands and catching Smith's harder thrown balls on short routes maybe we'll be okay. Maybe Crabtree will break a couple for longer gains which is what he's known for. Indy's D will be much tougher than Houston's. If the offense and defense play anything like they did in the second half in Houston we might be in it. Assuming we can catch and tackle on special teams.
If you think Staley is anything more than average, then you are probably still suffering from the effects of Kwame-related shell-shock.

He's ok, but let's not make him out to be some godly franchise all-pro tackle.

They did while he was in the 2nd half. He seems to have good awareness anyway so I'm not really worried about him getting sacked 4 or 5 times a game.
I just hope is awareness is up because Freeney & Mathis scare me..they aren't like our D LINE they go for the ball...
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by modninerfan:
his scrambling ability and improved confidence makes me a little more hopeful though

Yes, he is not a pie throwing sitting duck, like Hill.
I just don't want to hear excuses if he stinks it up. This is his year and his team now. If he sucks, then we don't need to start blaming on everyone but him...
Originally posted by SJniner7:
I just don't want to hear excuses if he stinks it up. This is his year and his team now. If he sucks, then we don't need to start blaming on everyone but him...

Let me see now. Pashos out, guards playing like sh1te, camp and preseason spent as 2nd string, yeah no reason to blame anyone but himself.

He will probably get killed this week. But I think he will pull it together during the season, gradually.
Share 49ersWebzone