Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by Luca:
I think that our O line will come around.

i hope so...

If next years draft isnt used on O lineman, we are doomed. If berry is available, take him, otherwise, go with best OL available.

foolish..

when a draft is so heavy in play makers and skill position players, you do not go after players who play positions that can be found in the mid rounds who are very solid at their respective positions..

with the looming rookie cap that is likely to be in place in the draft following this next year. there are going to be an unprecedented number of juniors and redshirt sophmores declaring for those skill postions and playmakers who want the most money they can get..

if we take an offensive linemen with EITHER first round pick i will be shocked with the huge number of talent at the postions that are normally hard to find in this years draft..if we have an early to mid 2nd round pick, i would be shocked at o-line there as well, late 2nd round would make sense as there will be offensive linemen in the 2nd, 3rd and possibly even 4th round this year that would likely go in the 1st round of any of the recent drafts..

both firsts will likely see us go, safety/cb and dline/olb...OR QB if Alex struggles. an early 2nd will again likely see us go defense at one of the prior mentioned positions that didnt get picked...a late second i wouldnt be surprised to go oline there, and i definitely think in the 3rd and 4th round we address offensive line..

disagree all you want, just take a look at the league and compare the number of GOOD offensive linemen that are taken in the middle rounds in comparison to early rounds to those GOOD skill players that are taken in those respective rounds as well...they exist, but the Oline stat HEAVILY outweighs the other..

Apparently you haven't seen a game this year. Also...contrary your thought process...having a franchise tackle (which we don't have) and an overall strong o-line is critical. And whats all this nonsense of not picking up an OT in the first round? How many tackles went in the first round this year? Last year? Exactly.

We're below average in running which is our bread and butter -- and passing -- which I'd like us to see the 49ers excel at sometime in the near future. Yes we need some defensive peices too but I'm pretty sure you can find them in the mid rounds as well.

and the 1st overall pick last year has been having some issues this year, Joe Thomas hasn'nt been looking too hot, eugene monroe AND ebon britton have been looking quite regular, while sam baker, though yes a 1st round pick was the 7th tackle taken in the 2008 draft is having the best season of any recent offensive tackles taken in the last few years..

your opinion is fine, however your logic is flawed..

I'd rather take a chance on regular that the crap we have now. Jake Long plays for a team that plays out of the wildcat and runs at will and he's still young.

Or maybe we land the next Orlando Pace or Jonathan Ogden?

You forgot to mention the recent first rounders that disprove your argument Including Jeff Otah, Sam Baker, Duane Brown, Ryan Clady and D'Brickashaw Ferguson and another list of average linemen I'd rather have on my team.

Are you saying this isn't a first round concern since our starters suck for the most part and we have no depth? Or you would just rather draft depth in late rounds to pad the crap we have starting? Just because some team found a gem doesn't mean its a lock

This upcoming draft is going to be one of the deepest ever in offensive linemen, and pass rushers. According to the draft gurus, there is quality to be found at OT and pass rusher well into the second round. We have to get a good safety, if Berry is there when we use the panthers pick, we have to take him.

Go back ten years in the draft, think of all the safeties selected in the top ten and all the O-linemen selected in the top ten.

If you could grab a random player from either group for our team today, which group would you grab from?

I would take Berry with the first pick if he was available, then I would get a RT/LT ( I think if we got a stud LT we could move Staley back to RT). Then in the next round get a pass rusher, then from there the best G we can land, then start on the best players at the pick, if they make sense for the team.
Our OLINE is worse now (with Pashos gone), plus Colts DEs are relentless. Everything depends on how quick our receivers and VD can get out and get open. Of course, Alex will have a ton more pressure than the 2nd half of the Texans game.
Interesting to watch how the 49ers play, but I still don't think our best effort will help.
We'll at least get to see Crabtree in action.
With every Sunday, our playoff hopes are going downhill.

i hope so...

If next years draft isnt used on O lineman, we are doomed. If berry is available, take him, otherwise, go with best OL available.

foolish..

when a draft is so heavy in play makers and skill position players, you do not go after players who play positions that can be found in the mid rounds who are very solid at their respective positions..

with the looming rookie cap that is likely to be in place in the draft following this next year. there are going to be an unprecedented number of juniors and redshirt sophmores declaring for those skill postions and playmakers who want the most money they can get..

if we take an offensive linemen with EITHER first round pick i will be shocked with the huge number of talent at the postions that are normally hard to find in this years draft..if we have an early to mid 2nd round pick, i would be shocked at o-line there as well, late 2nd round would make sense as there will be offensive linemen in the 2nd, 3rd and possibly even 4th round this year that would likely go in the 1st round of any of the recent drafts..

both firsts will likely see us go, safety/cb and dline/olb...OR QB if Alex struggles. an early 2nd will again likely see us go defense at one of the prior mentioned positions that didnt get picked...a late second i wouldnt be surprised to go oline there, and i definitely think in the 3rd and 4th round we address offensive line..

disagree all you want, just take a look at the league and compare the number of GOOD offensive linemen that are taken in the middle rounds in comparison to early rounds to those GOOD skill players that are taken in those respective rounds as well...they exist, but the Oline stat HEAVILY outweighs the other..

Apparently you haven't seen a game this year. Also...contrary your thought process...having a franchise tackle (which we don't have) and an overall strong o-line is critical. And whats all this nonsense of not picking up an OT in the first round? How many tackles went in the first round this year? Last year? Exactly.

We're below average in running which is our bread and butter -- and passing -- which I'd like us to see the 49ers excel at sometime in the near future. Yes we need some defensive peices too but I'm pretty sure you can find them in the mid rounds as well.

and the 1st overall pick last year has been having some issues this year, Joe Thomas hasn'nt been looking too hot, eugene monroe AND ebon britton have been looking quite regular, while sam baker, though yes a 1st round pick was the 7th tackle taken in the 2008 draft is having the best season of any recent offensive tackles taken in the last few years..

I'd rather take a chance on regular that the crap we have now. Jake Long plays for a team that plays out of the wildcat and runs at will and he's still young.

You forgot to mention the recent first rounders that disprove your argument Including Jeff Otah, Sam Baker, Duane Brown, Ryan Clady and D'Brickashaw Ferguson and another list of average linemen I'd rather have on my team.

Are you saying this isn't a first round concern since our starters suck for the most part and we have no depth? Or you would just rather draft depth in late rounds to pad the crap we have starting? Just because some team found a gem doesn't mean its a lock

This upcoming draft is going to be one of the deepest ever in offensive linemen, and pass rushers. According to the draft gurus, there is quality to be found at OT and pass rusher well into the second round. We have to get a good safety, if Berry is there when we use the panthers pick, we have to take him.

Go back ten years in the draft, think of all the safeties selected in the top ten and all the O-linemen selected in the top ten.

If you could grab a random player from either group for our team today, which group would you grab from?

I would take Berry with the first pick if he was available, then I would get a RT/LT ( I think if we got a stud LT we could move Staley back to RT). Then in the next round get a pass rusher, then from there the best G we can land, then start on the best players at the pick, if they make sense for the team.

berry is great however if we want to be a better team we need to draft RT and RG with with 2 of our 3 picks meaning if we have a top pick and balgua (spelling?)or okung is avaliable with the selection we get we should pull the trigger i want a RT and a RG with our first two picka and unless we are reaching 10+ draft spots i really dont care who we draft

bottom line berry is great plaayer but if we want to be a better team we need to fix our o line
This is a concern. Alex never excelled at getting the ball out quickly before but hopefully he has learned to do so from Shaun Hill over the last couple of seasons. On a seven step drop, if it's not there when he hits the 7th step, he needs to take off or throw it away and not force anything. If he can do that, we may be in good shape.

One of the big things about 7 step drops is that you have to throw some 3 and 5 steps in the mix too. If the defense knows its a 7 step drop, that helps them tremendously to rush the passer. That was one of our problems under Martz. On 3rd and long, you knew it was a 7 step drop, and so did the D.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

i hope so...

foolish..

berry is great however if we want to be a better team we need to draft RT and RG with with 2 of our 3 picks meaning if we have a top pick and balgua (spelling?)or okung is avaliable with the selection we get we should pull the trigger i want a RT and a RG with our first two picka and unless we are reaching 10+ draft spots i really dont care who we draft

bottom line berry is great plaayer but if we want to be a better team we need to fix our o line

Safety is just as big a need, ours are very average. We really only need a tackle and a guard for the line.
It's going to be a problem, you know there's going to be plays were somebody comes free, or beats our guy, that's going to be worth watching on what Alex does; pick or sack? throw it away, or throw in coverage? or make a great throw while evading the rusher?
Originally posted by drama:
We Over paid Staley big time he is not a premiere left tackle hes a good right tackle at best we need to open the wallets next year to go back to the glory days if o line gives protection look what denver has done with an ok qb but with a good o line i rest my case!!!!

El Guzzard fuma mota y esta Grifo

Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
obvisouly our o line is not that good i honestly think staley is overrated alex can be a good qb in this leage but he will need time and thats something our line hasnt done since young was with us. What we need to do is open up our check books and get some solid players so that alex can get the ball downfield. 2 first rounders next year, with our first pick in 2010 darft we will get a legit o lineman

I love Crabs, but we should have gotten Michael Oher

Disagreed. I would have been SO f**king pissed if we passed on crabtree.

x2

x3 did you even watch him play Sunday man? he's going to be AWESOME, WR position was struggling prior to Crabs arrival Oher would be nice be Crabtree was clearly the best option.
the situation isnt getting any better with pashos out now
Wow our O LINE is getting worse now with Pashos out. And now Alex is in. The worst Chilo has been playing all season and no RT at all. The haters will blame Alex but this is the worst O LINE we have had all year. It's a shame. Alex was looking like he was starting to play better.

• GORO
  • Veteran
Staley is the best OL we have. He has shown a that when he plays an elite pass rusher and gets beat early on, he adjusts and usually has held them in check the rest of the game.
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
obvisouly our o line is not that good i honestly think staley is overrated alex can be a good qb in this leage but he will need time and thats something our line hasnt done since young was with us. What we need to do is open up our check books and get some solid players so that alex can get the ball downfield. 2 first rounders next year, with our first pick in 2010 darft we will get a legit o lineman

I love Crabs, but we should have gotten Michael Oher

No, we did the right thing taking Crabs. What we should have done after that is traded up to get Oher. He was there for us if we would have made some moves.

Why do YOU think Staley is overrated?

Originally posted by Super5:

Why do YOU think Staley is overrated?

Staley isn't overrated. LOL. He's the best linemen we have by far. He's just on such a crap line the overall line looks bad, which in turn makes him look bad sometimes. But he holds his own against the best rushers in the league. I'm worried about the other 4.
Originally posted by GORO:
Staley is the best OL we have. He has shown a that when he plays an elite pass rusher and gets beat early on, he adjusts and usually has held them in check the rest of the game.

Instead of blasting hot rotten out of your arse like some,you understand what you are seeing.

An example of what you're saying is when he faced Jared Allen who is a monster,he got beat once then shut him out the rest of the game.
Share 49ersWebzone