LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 202 users in the forums

Does Alex flop in his first start in nearly 2 years.

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does Alex flop in his first start in nearly 2 years.

I just want us to be in the game till the end. WIth some running and some WR TD's. We might not win but I want it to be close.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I don't think he will flop but he's not doing what he did against Houston. He will play ok. 16/25 185 yards 1td. Hopefully no picks.

Lambda, wtf? 185 yards? No seriously, wtf? You used to be as big a Smith fan as me, what happened? lol
Time for his first 300 yard game. That's all I'm going to say
Even Alex downplayed his success after Sunday's game vs. HOU. We were down 21-zip so the Texans were playing a lot of prevent. At least to AS's credit, he realized they weren't coming at him as hard as they could have and that the devensive schemes were pretty easy to read prior to the snap because the nature of the score.

That said he still made sound reads, delivered his passes in stride and only to where his receivers could catch them, save for the last one.

I think we compete competently against the Colts.
[ Edited by TDilvr on Oct 27, 2009 at 11:27 PM ]
I think Alex will be fine...he's got the good wheels to avoid getting sacked and has matured enough to know when to throw it away or to try to run with it. Against a pass rushing team like Indy, Gore will also play a key role...running and catching, not to mention picking up the blitz. The receivers will have to be extra alert, because chances are, Alex will have to get rid of it quicker than he did vs Houston.
Originally posted by TDilvr:
Even Alex downplayed his success after Sunday's game vs. HOU. We were down 21-zip so the Texans were playing a lot of prevent. At least to AS's credit, he realized they weren't coming at him as hard as they could have and that the devensive schemes were pretty easy to read prior to the snap because the nature of the score.

That said he still made sound reads, delivered his passes in stride and only to where his receivers could catch them, save for the last one.

I think we compete competently against the Colts.

If the Texans were playing prevent (they weren't) then it's even more impressive that Alex was able to complete the downfield throws. It's not like he was throwing underneath to Gore on every play.

-9fA
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I guess we've got the rest of the season to see if it's the new Alex or the same old Alex. Personally, I think the guy has changed on the field. It'll be fun to watch.
i believe it will be a high scoring, closely contested game
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Peyton leads the league in passer rating 114.5

oh I'm sorry scratch that it's actually Alex Smith with 118.6

Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Peyton leads the league in passer rating 114.5

oh I'm sorry scratch that it's actually Alex Smith with 118.6

lol i say if we give alex at least 3 seconds relaxed in the pocket hw will do good and we may win but i dont see that happeneing i think staley can block freeney for the most part but no way our RT will be able to stop mathis

He gets a pass at Indy, but Titans, Bears are key for Smith. RT @9erfaithful if Smith has bad game Sunday u think they stick w/ him awhile?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
They have to stick with Alex. Nate is not ready and Hill has petered out.
Originally posted by MadMartz:
Well that's why they play the games. I think he had more pressure on him in the Houston game. A chance was presented to him and he embraced it. Now the job has been given to him. I think the pressure is off and now he can just play.

I think now because he is the starter the pressure is on baby ! you either drwon or swim no in between ! it's going to be fun , Hopfully sing & Ray let him play to his strength , spread when passing !
If Smith continues to produce in the IND game as he has all season, he will throw 6 touchdowns and the Niners will have a good shot at winning. I have faith that Smith can keep it up.
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
who's gonna block Freeney and Mathis???

Exactly.

And we have to come out slinging to give us any chance. This is our best chance while Alex still has a fresh arm and shoulder. Give him 5 or 6 weeks of beatings like the ones Hill has been taking and he'll be throwing ducks too.

Did anyone hear Mario's name called last week? I don't remember except for that miscommunication on the first play. Getting rid of the ball quickly and making quick decisions can neutralize those 2 very quickly. And running some successful draw plays (which we haven't been shy about running) can also slow them down. And Hill was throwing ducks before pressure thats just what he does lol
Share 49ersWebzone