There are 258 users in the forums

Was That Alex Smith's finest half, last Sunday

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Was That Alex Smith's finest half, last Sunday

Originally posted by DesiDez:
I was looking at his individual stats on yahoo sports.....

But correct if I'm wrong, he's only thrown for 3 TDs once prior to Sunday: in 07 against OAK.

He threw for 3 TDs in one half of course against the Texans.

i didn't think he ever threw 3 in a game. I always remember complaining that he could never throw more than one TD in a game or over 200 yards.
Without a doubt..
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
I was looking at his individual stats on yahoo sports.....

But correct if I'm wrong, he's only thrown for 3 TDs once prior to Sunday: in 07 against OAK.

He threw for 3 TDs in one half of course against the Texans.

i didn't think he ever threw 3 in a game. I always remember complaining that he could never throw more than one TD in a game or over 200 yards.

he did throw 3 tds against oakland that yr in sf. we scored 34 pts if i remember correctly and walter was starting for oakland and moss made that between his legs catch.
Originally posted by fryet:
He has, of course, had better 4th quarter winning drives, but as a whole, that is by far the best I have seen Alex Smith play. My only complaints were the following:

1. The one short pass that I saw him throw, he missed (probably was better that he missed it, but still makes you wonder)
2. Lots of delay of game penalties. Hopefully being the starter will mitigate that in the future (it wouldn't surprise me if Crabtree was guilty of illegal substitution, but that is just me guessing)

#2 should be easily corrected. #1 is an area that we will continue to have to watch as fans. But if he just continues to throw down the field, and ignores the short passes, I don't think we will care that much. (:

I think Smith threw it out of bounds, then Gore looked at him to see what he was doing. Smith pointed at the incoming defender that was about to crack Gore. You see the defender sprinting from the left of the screen.

If he threw it directly to Gore, Gore probably woulda caught it but consider: 1) minimal yardage, 2) staying in bounds, 3) massive hit.

It was the only play he could have made.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
easily his finest game thus far.

Without a doubt
  • DJD
  • Veteran
I've never seen him look so relaxed, read his progressions, make such accurate passes, all over the place. Easily the best ive seen him look.
I hope Alex does well but they need to keep on running and spot the passing enough to keep the constant pass rush off. It sure appeared that his accuracy is much better but they need to make sure it does not degrade by getting him sacked a lot. I really think Singletary blew it by keeping too many recievers and not enough runningbacks.
When you run as much as Singletary wanted to, several mediocre recievers are as useful as carbuncles. I also think they need to spot Bruce only for say third downs when his experience would help and let guys like Jones and Jason Hill play. I think next year if they have no injuries they go with Crabtree, Morgan, Jones and Hill and possibly Ziegler and thats it. I think after our crucial picks like safety, Pass rusher and OL they should hit runningbacks and dbs. I think they need another top ten back for sure and Michael Robinson and Norris need to go. I really liked that converted LB fullback. I think he had a hell of a lot to do with the running in preseason. He might seem raw to Singletary but he performs and doesn't f^&^ up. Singletary has some Nolan in him in that he would wear suspenders, belt and safety pins to keep his pants on. He needs to rely less on scrub vets and risk some young studs.
Originally posted by DJD:
I've never seen him look so relaxed, read his progressions, make such accurate passes, all over the place. Easily the best ive seen him look.

He also seemed in command out there. I thought I even saw him bark at Morgan one time.
It was his finest GAME, period.

All the more remarkable is he came in hot and in synch right off the bat, when one of the biggest knocks on him in the past is that he is a slow-starter.

One of the underlying reasons why he couldn't seem to make a big impression during his pre-season games the past couple of years and thus unable to beat out JTO and Shaun Hill.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
By the numbers there are 9 no votes. I see a lot of people picking at some parts of his performance, but no one states a time and place that he looked better. I seriously hope this type performance can happen again, I see no reason why not. Who cares that the Texans weren't prepared for him, he was making accurate throws, avoiding sacks, and making good decisions. As an ex Smith hater I will even allow him an excuse for some bad clock management. The only mistakes he seemed to make came from rust. Big test coming up Sunday. The Colts now have a defense and can put up points. If he throws for 200 plus and has 2 turnovers or less, I think he is well on his way to being a top notch NFL Qb. GO ALEX!

• TheHitman
  • Info N/A
Naked bootleg night against the Seachickens... that was his best game. Remember Frank the Tank walking into his interview afterward and telling the fans to expect big things from #11?
  • TheHitman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by DJD:

Were we running a spread to catch up or was that part of the entire game plan? That's where I'm confused. I watched it live and had no idea that was the spread offense.
what really impressed me is that he stood tall in a collapsing pocket
Yes. Well, all except for the last 2 plays.
The Seachickens 2nd half was one to remember. The entire offense stinked in the rain for the first half. It was horrid. In the second half, out came a blazing Alex Smith. He did everything well that game.

I think this last half trumps the Seahawks game because he had no reps during the week and hadn't played a meaningful game in over 2 years. I can't remember the last time a QB looked so poised and delivered so many nice balls.

What I like the most about the last game was how much Smith seemed that he was in charge.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone