There are 111 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The way Crabtree catches...

Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I thought about it, and I couldn't think of another player to avoid ridicule, so I'm gonna go ahead and say it.

He catches the ball like Jerry Rice.

He just kind of absorbs the ball into himself.

He also seems to have a very quick mind, with very quick movements.

Jerry Rice is the one player he reminds me of.

Rice never wasted an inch of movement, or nanosecond of time.

He looks like a very raw Jerry Rice, because Rice ran crisper routes (no one has ever run better routes) and always instantaneously made just the right move which gave him the most yards possible after the catch.

Crabtree is not close to that, but physically and mentally, it is very similar.

I actually agree. The way he runs precise routes, makes quick cuts, and catches the ball does remind me of Jerry Rice. He's similar in size too. It remains to be seen how well Crabtree handles double teams, if he gets caught from behind, if he can stretch the field, etc. We'll find out more next week.

I think when a guy comes in off the street and performs the way he did with 2 different QBs hes never played in a game with throwing to him, you dont have to hesitate to say we all saw greatness.

FYOUCHURE GRATEREST OFF ALL DE TYMES !!!
he snatches the ball like a crab and he runs routes like a tree
Originally posted by five1oh:
he snatches the ball like a crab and he runs routes like a tree

POTY
  • B650
  • Veteran
If you think about it, he could've had 2 more receptions. A 22-yard catch was called back because of a penalty, and he dropped a pass from Shaun Hill (roughly a 15-yard pass). I don't really blame him for that one though.

In his debut, after missing all of training camp, he could've finished with 7 receptions and 93 yards receiving (just like Vernon Davis). What a debut.
Originally posted by B650:
I don't know about 15 catches a game. Having good hands doesn't guarantee that you're going to be catching a lot of passes. You have to be able to get open as well.

You see those crisp routes? He will get open...
He got some stick-em on his hands. Hopefully he creates some great competition at the WR position. It seems as though he could catch about anything...
  • x49ersx123
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Looks like Michael Irvin catching the football

Don’t ever compare any 49ers player to a Cowgirl player.

he really looks like a rtue receiver... not like a raw desaun jackson type but a great possesion receiver that can also break out... like a cris carter
  • dedfischer
  • Info N/A
In the getting to know Crabtree department, he also had offers to play basketball as a top shooting guard prospect at Kansas and Tech, which were his finalist coming out of high school. Since he played AAU b-ball in the summers, he skipped the all-important football camps at TX and OU, which are almost mandatory for an offer. Bob Knight came to football practice the first day to see him play. After about 4 or 5 plays, he told him he should stick with football. Larry Fitzgerald had been groomed since birth to be a professional WR and see what kind of impact he had as a freshman in college. A significant one. Crabtree was plucked out of the basketball courts in Oak Cliff, thrown on the field, and told, "This game is called football." His only reply was, "Do you keep score?" And, he went onto do something no one has ever accomplished in college football history. I'm not ruling out anything with regards to potential on this kid. He's a humble guy for as good as he is, but in his head, he already believes he can be the best to ever play this game. All he wants to do is beat someone's ass on every play.

I'll also provide some clarification as to how his relationship with Deion was fostered. Apparently, Deion had a football camp in Dallas over the summer 2008 for pro/college players. Housh, Pacman, a few other names you've heard of attended and the feedback was Crabtree was the best player there by a significant margin. Deion knows talent when he sees it and now he's part of the package.
[ Edited by dedfischer on Oct 28, 2009 at 7:12 AM ]
attacks the ball. Watches it all the way till it hits his hands. He had a catch against Houston for about 6 yards. He came back to the ball with two defenders around him. Had he not done that, it could of been a pic or at least an incompletion. so far, so good.
All I know is that I feel bad for Heyward-Bey and Raiders fans, because Al Davis screwed them both by passing on Crabtree. Heyward-Bey will always be known as the guy who was drafted way too high by an insane owner and will forever be compared to the Crab-man.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Looks like Michael Irvin catching the football

Like Anquan Boldin. The Scot M. comparisons on this one are accurate. If he can be as good as Boldin we get a heck of a player.

I think he's "most like" Boldin too. And if the best Crabtree ever gets is to Boldin's level, drafting him will be a smashing success. Boldin a franchise possession WR -- and Crabs can be the same thing.

Just imagine if we had DeSean Jackson on the other side (and returning punts) instead of Chilo missing blocks...

Crabtree is more athletic than Boldin. Anquan looks closer to Vernon in terms of body size.

Crabtree is a shorter Braylon Edwards with better receiving skills and much better hands.
[ Edited by DesiDez on Oct 28, 2009 at 7:45 AM ]
He's a hands catcher, that's what I said in his pre-draft writeup and it's why I had him on top of my board at his position.

Look at the picture above, his eyes are on the ball, his hands are extended with thumbs pointing to each other and his hands are fully open. He's looking the ball in and he's going to catch it away from his body and secure it with his strong hands.

It's fundamental but it's also something that many many receivers are coming into the NFL not doing.
Originally posted by boomer49er:
He's a hands catcher, that's what I said in his pre-draft writeup and it's why I had him on top of my board at his position.

Look at the picture above, his eyes are on the ball, his hands are extended with thumbs pointing to each other and his hands are fully open. He's looking the ball in and he's going to catch it away from his body and secure it with his strong hands.

It's fundamental but it's also something that many many receivers are coming into the NFL not doing.

at least someone talks some sense still