There are 292 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The way Crabtree catches...

Originally posted by AkNiners:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
It's funny how people's attitudes regarding this kid have changed in a single game. People went from claiming they don't want him to talking about the possibility of him being a top-5 receiver. So the question must be asked: was it really necessary for the majority of the Zone to bad-mouth the kid knowing they would be on his jock the first time he made any sort of contribution to the team? I think not.

It's ninertalk, overreaction is what we do

Yeah I was expecting everyone to overreact, but it seemed like I was the only one here that wasn't calling him Craptree or CashGreed and saying f*ck him.

Anyway, I'm glad he had a good debut. I think he'll become something very special.
It's funny how people's attitudes regarding this kid have changed in a single game. People went from claiming they don't want him to talking about the possibility of him being a top-5 receiver. So the question must be asked: was it really necessary for the majority of the Zone to bad-mouth the kid knowing they would be on his jock the first time he made any sort of contribution to the team? I think not.

The contract dispute was bewildering for many reasons. Most notably, because of the fact that Crabtree seemed to have an odd bunch of self-proclaimed "spokespersons."

I was worried about that crowd following him around and influencing him. I still am.

But Crabtree seems different; he sure ain't no Ocho Cinco. He always has a smile on his face. He doesn't seem to be carrying a lot of baggage, nor does he act like a knucklehead.

The hold-out was ridiculous, but perhaps Crabtree truly did not want to be involved in any way, which is a bit weird.

Based upon the way he learns so quickly, maybe he encapsulates everything and simply did not want to spend any brain power on what was going on with his contract.

He trusted Sanders and his agent to do the right thing. Which is a little naive.
Originally posted by AkNiners:

It's ninertalk, overreaction is what we do

Ninertalk: "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SING!!!!!!"

Singletary: Scot, are they yelling "boo Sing"?

Scot: No, they were yelling "Booosingz", booooooo-singz!

*Singletary goes in front of crowd ninertalk crowd*

Singletary: WERE YOU ALL YELLING BOO SING OR BOOOOSINGZ!!!!?

Ninertalk: "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Maddog49er: I was yelling "boosingz". *blinks*
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Oct 27, 2009 at 12:18 AM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:

The contract dispute was bewildering for many reasons. Most notably, because of the fact that Crabtree seemed to have an odd bunch of self-proclaimed "spokespersons."

I was worried about that crowd following him around and influencing him. I still am.

But Crabtree seems different; he sure ain't no Ocho Cinco. He always has a smile on his face. He doesn't seem to be carrying a lot of baggage, nor does he act like a knucklehead.

The hold-out was ridiculous, but perhaps Crabtree truly did not want to be involved in any way, which is a bit weird.

Based upon the way he learns so quickly, maybe he encapsulates everything and simply did not want to spend any brain power on what was going on with his contract.

He trusted Sanders and his agent to do the right thing. Which is a little naive.

I agree the whole contract ordeal was ridiculous and even I started to get frustrated, I just never felt the need to badmouth a guy I knew would eventually be a 49er and would be a good player for us. I questioned the badmouthing and got badmouthed myself. I just couldn't understand it because I KNEW people's attitudes would change in a hurry as soon as he started catching a few passes.
Screw Crabtree! That greedy mo fo. Let's trade him now!!!

I'm not happy with the way that contract issue went, but I'm glad it's done with. I'm even happier to see him contributing. I didn't expect he'd have much impact his rookie year. Then again..it was only one game. Let's see what he does...

I hope he does turn out to be that missing piece for our offense.
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by teeohh:
I want his hands on my ball.....

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Looks like Michael Irvin catching the football

Like Anquan Boldin. The Scot M. comparisons on this one are accurate. If he can be as good as Boldin we get a heck of a player.

isn't boldin a #2 WR tho? Don't we want crabtree to be a #1? But I do see what your saying...

Back to the topic though, Crabtree has really good hands, something we can't really say for the rest of our WRs...
  • B650
  • Veteran
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12430579/rss.

Deep threat? If that turns out to be the case, him, Brandon Jones, and Josh Morgan could become one heck of a trio. Throw in Vernon Davis and Frank Gore and you have a potent offense, assuming Alex Smith continues to play well and the OL starts playing like men.

There's also a funny quote in there about Shaun Hill.

"Singletary's move makes sense, and not just because of the timing. If you're going to start Crabtree, the best wide receiver in this year's draft, you might as well have a quarterback who can get him the football. Shaun Hill is not that guy. In fact, when I mentioned something about Smith having a better arm than Hill, one source close to the team said, 'You have a better arm than [Hill].'"
[ Edited by B650 on Oct 27, 2009 at 10:18 PM ]
Ill say it again..

Has strong hands like ANDRE JOHNSON, agressive at attack and RAC
Has the running ability of ANQUAN BOLDIN, can put up some YAC and carry like a HB
Has some hops and will go get the ball like LARRY FITZGERALD

and you got MICHAEL CRABTREE of the SF 49ers !!!
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
Ill say it again..

Has the running ability of ANQUAN BOLDIN, can put up some YAC and carry like a HB

Can we just induct him into the Hall of Fame now and not waste our time watching him?

I agree the whole contract ordeal was ridiculous and even I started to get frustrated, I just never felt the need to badmouth a guy I knew would eventually be a 49er and would be a good player for us. I questioned the badmouthing and got badmouthed myself. I just couldn't understand it because I KNEW people's attitudes would change in a hurry as soon as he started catching a few passes.

In the final analysis, the issue is timing.

If someone elbow's you in the face, at that moment, you don't like them very much.

Did they do it on purpose? Were they careless? You don't know.

At the time, it looked like Crabtree was going to enter next year's draft. Because WHY else would they hold out so long? It made NO sense at the time, and still makes NO sense in any possible way.

Parker wanted top five money, and didn't get close to it. Now he looks like an ass.
Wow, what a brilliant agent.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Oct 27, 2009 at 10:52 PM ]
Now we all know why this kid went from getting worked into gradually to starting. Now we know why there were so many freakshows from Primetime to "the cousin" swinging from his nuts before he signed. The kid is damned good-period-end of story. The way he catches stands out much the same way a supermodel standing with a group of 30 something soccer moms in sweats and ponytails would.

Someone mentioned earlier the quinfecta that could be Crabtree, Gore, Davis, Morgan and Jones assuming AS can finally become what everyone hopes he can. Now that would be a hella awesome offense.

Suddenly we're knocking on the door. Oh crap, no we're not. Chilo is still looking for his beast mode and so is everybody else on the O-line. Next year maybe?
Originally posted by AC49er:
Lets give it 3-4 more games to see where this goes

+1 Go ALEX!
Originally posted by Ether:
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
Ill say it again..

Can we just induct him into the Hall of Fame now and not waste our time watching him?

it would save us all a lot of time and about 5000 or so crazy threads
Originally posted by B650:
I thought about it, and I couldn't think of another player to avoid ridicule, so I'm gonna go ahead and say it.

He catches the ball like Jerry Rice.

He just kind of absorbs the ball into himself.

He also seems to have a very quick mind, with very quick movements.

Jerry Rice is the one player he reminds me of.

Rice never wasted an inch of movement, or nanosecond of time.

He looks like a very raw Jerry Rice, because Rice ran crisper routes (no one has ever run better routes) and always instantaneously made just the right move which gave him the most yards possible after the catch.

Crabtree is not close to that, but physically and mentally, it is very similar.

I actually agree. The way he runs precise routes, makes quick cuts, and catches the ball does remind me of Jerry Rice. He's similar in size too. It remains to be seen how well Crabtree handles double teams, if he gets caught from behind, if he can stretch the field, etc. We'll find out more next week.

I think when a guy comes in off the street and performs the way he did with 2 different QBs hes never played in a game with throwing to him, you dont have to hesitate to say we all saw greatness.