There are 97 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The way Crabtree catches...

I thought about it, and I couldn't think of another player to avoid ridicule, so I'm gonna go ahead and say it.

He catches the ball like Jerry Rice.

He just kind of absorbs the ball into himself.

He also seems to have a very quick mind, with very quick movements.

Jerry Rice is the one player he reminds me of.

Rice never wasted an inch of movement, or nanosecond of time.

He looks like a very raw Jerry Rice, because Rice ran crisper routes (no one has ever run better routes) and always instantaneously made just the right move which gave him the most yards possible after the catch.

Crabtree is not close to that, but physically and mentally, it is very similar.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Oct 26, 2009 at 11:10 PM ]
One thing that bothered me was that he seemed to be getting a little to pushy when he was getting separation on his cuts. Nothing was called, but I can see a team watching the film and talking to the refs about watching for it.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I thought about it, and I couldn't think of another player to avoid ridicule, so I'm gonna go ahead and say it.

He catches the ball like Jerry Rice.

He just kind of absorbs the ball into himself.

He also seems to have a very quick mind, with very quick movements.

Jerry Rice is the one player he reminds me of.

Rice never wasted an inch of movement, or nanosecond of time.

He looks like a very raw Jerry Rice, because Rice ran crisper routes (no one has ever run better routes) and always instantaneously made just the right move which gave him the most yards possible after the catch.

Crabtree is not close to that, but physically and mentally, it is very similar.

I actually agree. The way he runs precise routes, makes quick cuts, and catches the ball does remind me of Jerry Rice. He's similar in size too. It remains to be seen how well Crabtree handles double teams, if he gets caught from behind, if he can stretch the field, etc. We'll find out more next week.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
One thing that bothered me was that he seemed to be getting a little to pushy when he was getting separation on his cuts. Nothing was called, but I can see a team watching the film and talking to the refs about watching for it.

Yeah, that's another thing I wonder about. Can he get enough separation without pushing off?
I was impressed at the way he made a catch by taking the ball away from the defender very strong hands.
Originally posted by fandownunder5:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by chimp914:
Aren't we jumping the gun a little? The guy has played in ONE game.

Hehe, just wait until he catches his first TD and the webzone crashes.

don't you guys get it ! we saw our future offense in just one half of play last week !!!!

Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Looks like Michael Irvin catching the football

Um except MC doesn't need to push off on every play to catch the football and get open.
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Yeah, that's another thing I wonder about. Can he get enough separation without pushing off?

I honestly don't think he was pushing off on that play.

When you make a cut, your outside arm naturally moves out. Try jogging then make a really hard cut to one side, your outside arm will come out if you cut really hard.

From that angle, from that distance, the announcers just made a typical boneheaded "announcer brain fart."

Crabtree is obviously very quick. He does not NEED to push off. Unlike Michael Irvin (who unbelievably made a Hall Of Fame career out of it pushing off on almost every play).
[ Edited by BrianGO on Oct 26, 2009 at 11:25 PM ]
Originally posted by chimp914:
Aren't we jumping the gun a little? The guy has played in ONE game.

Part of the reason we are jumping the gun is BECAUSE of the fact that Crabtree has already played well in his first game after only two weeks of practice.

That by itself is almost miraculous.
Originally posted by GORO:
He has more catches than Heyward Bey already. I am excited to see Alex Smith and Crabtree combinatin against the colts. in 2006 Alex looked good when he went deep to Antonio Bryant, so hopefully Crabs will be a burner as well

Even if Crabtree isn't a burner, that's ok. Josh Morgan can stretch the field. And hey, look at it this way... Morgan won't have to worry about the ball coming down like a punt anymore.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by GORO:
He has more catches than Heyward Bey already. I am excited to see Alex Smith and Crabtree combinatin against the colts. in 2006 Alex looked good when he went deep to Antonio Bryant, so hopefully Crabs will be a burner as well

Even if Crabtree isn't a burner, that's ok. Josh Morgan can stretch the field. And hey, look at it this way... Morgan won't have to worry about the ball coming down like a punt anymore.

Man, how embarrassing to say that and have it end up on national TV.
What impressed me was the catch he made catching the 'back-half' of the ball. I mean that takes hand strength and hand-eye coordination. Most receivers catch the front part of the ball but this guy just catches everything thrown to him. That was impressive.

His routerunning was above average also and should get better as he gets more acclimated to the speed of the NFL game.
It's funny how people's attitudes regarding this kid have changed in a single game. People went from claiming they don't want him to talking about the possibility of him being a top-5 receiver. So the question must be asked: was it really necessary for the majority of the Zone to bad-mouth the kid knowing they would be on his jock the first time he made any sort of contribution to the team? I think not.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
It's funny how people's attitudes regarding this kid have changed in a single game. People went from claiming they don't want him to talking about the possibility of him being a top-5 receiver. So the question must be asked: was it really necessary for the majority of the Zone to bad-mouth the kid knowing they would be on his jock the first time he made any sort of contribution to the team? I think not.

It's ninertalk, overreaction is what we do
Boldin probably has more power than Crabtree...but Michael has much better hands. He'll make a ton of catches...because of his route running, exceptionally strong hands, and the fact he's simply a great football player. And, talk about your work ethic...how many WR's could pull off what he did...no football for 10 months...missed off-season...no camp...no preseason. Then he comes in after two weeks and performs like he did on Sunday. He's our next great receiver...