LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 399 users in the forums

Resigning Willis just got really expensive

Shop Find 49ers gear online
What's funny is that in the article, it says

Quote:
"We've got to run a team, Pat knew that and we said that," said Stephen Jones, the Cowboys executive vice president who handled Ware's contract talks with his father. "We can't do things that are irresponsible. We're certainly not going to be a team that's going to step up and pay a defensive player like a quarterback. We're just not going to do that."

-9fA
Yeah, how could I forget Snyder...he's even a bigger horse's patoot. The money he paid Haynesworth and DeAngelo Hall was bordering on criminal.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
so what? Willis would be worth every penny.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Yeah, Ware got elite pass rush money. Willis will get ILB money. Which will still be very good money.
you give him what he wants no question asked he is the heart of the D !
Good for Ware, since he isn't even producing at the same level as last year... I believe ILBs make less though, but there is no way they let him walk! Willis is going to retire a niner
Willis is/will be worth every penny the Niners give him. But Willis will not get elite pass rusher money.

HOWEVER, like I said earlier, Ware's deal will have nothing to do with that. ZERO. Nada. Zip.

Resigning Willis was already gonna be "really expensive" and Ware's extension doesn't change that at all. Good pass rushers will almost always get more money than good tacklers/run stuffers.

Who would you pay more money? The guy leading the league in sacks or the guy leading the league in tackles? I'm pretty sure I'd take Dumervil or Harrison over London Fletcher.
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Ware's deal has nothing to do with Willis. Ware gets elite pass rusher money being an OLB/DE.
Willis will get good money being the best ILB in football, but Ware's deal will have nothing to do with it. Now, if someone like Beason, DeMeco Ryans, or Dansby signed a HUGE insane contract... THEN I could see Willis' price tag going SKY HIGH. Ware, not so much.

agreed.
Willis is/will be worth every penny the Niners give him. But Willis will not get elite pass rusher money.

HOWEVER, like I said earlier, Ware's deal will have nothing to do with that. ZERO. Nada. Zip.

Resigning Willis was already gonna be "really expensive" and Ware's extension doesn't change that at all. Good pass rushers will almost always get more money than good tacklers/run stuffers.

Who would you pay more money? The guy leading the league in sacks or the guy leading the league in tackles? I'm pretty sure I'd take Dumervil or Harrison over London Fletcher.

Exactly either Willis's contract will set the standard for future MLB contracts, or it will top whoever contract does. Only concern could be the amount of guaranteed money and how he gets it. Looking at Haynesworth and Ware you see they got huge guaranteed money upfront. Though his total contract won't be as big If I were him I would expect the same type of big money up front guarantee.
we pay willis what he wants, or else!

Originally posted by verb1der:
Willis deserves "Best linebacker in the league" money!

This.
Doesnt Matter PAY HIM!!!!
+ the niners have a GRIP of money
  • Mex49
He better get a handle on that communication BS real quick if he wants to see top money
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Just pay the man.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone