There are 72 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Resigning Willis just got really expensive

Originally posted by waiting4number6:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Willis deserves "Best linebacker in the league" money!

Scary thing is he may be the best player in the league, so anybody wanna add up what that title is worth LB or not, jeez, still we gotta keep em obviously.

Not even close. I know everyone around here is silly for P.willy, but being great is more than be great in your position, it's being a leader of the team. I think of Ray Lewis and the intangables he brings. He is the heart and soul of his defense if not the team. I dont see that in Willis yet and I dont know that thats even in him. The guy doesn't even want to wear the radio helmet and as Sing said in his Monday confrence some guys on defense are starting to do their own thing. IMO, Willis is should be in there face if he is going to be considered the best of the best. No doubt the guy is the most gifted physical ILB in the league. But IMO, until he becomes the undeniable leader of this team he will never be the best player in the league and not even on defense.

Bring it. I'm ready.

Who cares if he isn't a great leader in terms of what I said, that isn't what I said if that is what I said, I'd put Brian Dawkins up there, I'd put Shaun O'Hara up there. What I said is he may be the best player in the league, not the best leader in the league. The guy shows up week in week out, if you want a list, what Brady, Willis, AP (granted Willis is better than AP, ok scratch AP), that WR we met in Houston, Nick Mangold, Steve Hutchinson, Joe Thomas, Nnamdi, Kevin Williams, Andre Gurode, Jared Allen, and Justin Tuck.

I'm not sure if its symantics, but to me "best player" is most valuble player all things considered. But, even if we talked about purely playing your position I think you have to talk about guys like Troy.P. If you ever watch Troy play he seems to be everywhere on the defense.
I don't care what they pay him, it will be worth it!
They should give him Clements type $
Originally posted by Ninerman49:
yea sign willis, a safety and a RG please!!!!!!

AND a pass rusher!
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
so what? Willis would be worth every penny.

this

what sucks...is when you spent ELITE passrusher money on a player that ends up being a product of a "system"

passrusher end up going hot and cold most of the Time.

YOU CAN lead the league in sacks, and end up as the answer to a trivia question when your career is over.

Thats just the nature of being a passrusher. So few guys can actually bring it season in and season out AND BE on a Team that has enough parts to the puzzle to keep you from seeing endless double and triple teams.

At least with willis he brings a TOTAL package.

I am about as un-homer as it gets..... I get accused of being overly critical all the damn time....

Willis is worth...what EVER contract the 49ers give him.

Look what willis does NOW.....

Now fathom what he would have Done behind Young and Stubby in seiferds defense.

The 49ers Would have beaten the CRAP out of Dallas in the 90s if they had willis. They probably would have had 2 or 3 more superbowls.

He is THAT KIND of X-FACTOR player.......

Agree 110%. Willis is that once in a generation player who is going to be the standard bearer for many seasons to come at his position.

exactly....pay the Guy Top dollar and wrap him up for 8 more seasons.

They are not going to "replace" him.... And the money they throw at him will not be wasted..

Hell more likely then not The 49ers Will get looks from FREE AGENTS that would not have otherwise spent much time thinking about going to the 49ers BECUASE of Willis.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
It was always going to be expensive. He's the centerpiece of our defense and one of the best young defenders in the league. We need to lock him up regardless of the cost.
I guess its kind of like asking, "what would Ray Lewis get today if her were Willis' age?"

Same type of player/playmaker... just older.

How much was Lewis' last contract for?.... I'd bet it was ridiculous for his position at that time.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Willis deserves "Best linebacker in the league" money!

Scary thing is he may be the best player in the league, so anybody wanna add up what that title is worth LB or not, jeez, still we gotta keep em obviously.

Not even close. I know everyone around here is silly for P.willy, but being great is more than be great in your position, it's being a leader of the team. I think of Ray Lewis and the intangables he brings. He is the heart and soul of his defense if not the team. I dont see that in Willis yet and I dont know that thats even in him. The guy doesn't even want to wear the radio helmet and as Sing said in his Monday confrence some guys on defense are starting to do their own thing. IMO, Willis is should be in there face if he is going to be considered the best of the best. No doubt the guy is the most gifted physical ILB in the league. But IMO, until he becomes the undeniable leader of this team he will never be the best player in the league and not even on defense.

Bring it. I'm ready.

Who cares if he isn't a great leader in terms of what I said, that isn't what I said if that is what I said, I'd put Brian Dawkins up there, I'd put Shaun O'Hara up there. What I said is he may be the best player in the league, not the best leader in the league. The guy shows up week in week out, if you want a list, what Brady, Willis, AP (granted Willis is better than AP, ok scratch AP), that WR we met in Houston, Nick Mangold, Steve Hutchinson, Joe Thomas, Nnamdi, Kevin Williams, Andre Gurode, Jared Allen, and Justin Tuck.

I'm not sure if its symantics, but to me "best player" is most valuble player all things considered. But, even if we talked about purely playing your position I think you have to talk about guys like Troy.P. If you ever watch Troy play he seems to be everywhere on the defense.

So is Willis in terms of everywhere on the field, hell if he wanted to he could be a FS, OLB, SS, gosh, I mean oh yeah forgot Troy add that to the list of best in the game discussion which P-52 is on and may be the top of.
Attached is an article on how defenses have changed and the devaluation of middle LB. The top 5 MLB in the NFL in 2008 avg. $5.68 million a year. Here is the article

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/john_lopez/06/30/linebackers/index.html

IMO considering what MLB now are making and how Willis has become one of the Niners marquee players will assume that he will probably be given a contract that will make him the highest paid MLB in the NFL when the redo his contract.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
so what? Willis would be worth every penny.
If you think Willis isn't worth spending some big money for whatever reason... we can sign this guy...

I don't know who's worse...Al Davis or Jerry Jones. Both are responsible for a lot of over-inflated salaries. Typically though, Jones at least signs guys who can actually play. Willis will cost a bundle...but he's worth every penny.
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
Attached is an article on how defenses have changed and the devaluation of middle LB. The top 5 MLB in the NFL in 2008 avg. $5.68 million a year. Here is the article

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/john_lopez/06/30/linebackers/index.html

IMO considering what MLB now are making and how Willis has become one of the Niners marquee players will assume that he will probably be given a contract that will make him the highest paid MLB in the NFL when the redo his contract.

but how much of that has to do with many teams switching to the 3-4? then many good ILBers are in contracts right now before they became "great" beason, david harris, morrison, pierce, and a few others.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I don't know who's worse...Al Davis or Jerry Jones. Both are responsible for a lot of over-inflated salaries. Typically though, Jones at least signs guys who can actually play. Willis will cost a bundle...but he's worth every penny.

you forgetting Snyder? That guy is right up there with Al Davis
Dude got QB money.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Dude got QB money.

-9fA

but i always wonder what the real contract is?