LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 304 users in the forums

Video of the 4th down INT

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If he gets the ball off with enough air under it, its a 80 yard td pass to Davis and we win. The safety would have been beat and took a horrible angle. But the defender hit Alex's arm and instead it was an Int. Football is a game of inches, as with Minnesota we didn't make the play.

The bright-side is we have a QB who can make defenses pay for stacking the box. Crabtree, Morgan, Jones, VD and Gore on the field at the same-time has the potential to be a solid offense.
Originally posted by 5280High:
If he gets the ball off with enough air under it, its a 80 yard td pass to Davis and we win. The safety would have been beat and took a horrible angle. But the defender hit Alex's arm and instead it was an Int. Football is a game of inches, as with Minnesota we didn't make the play.

The bright-side is we have a QB who can make defenses pay for stacking the box. Crabtree, Morgan, Jones, VD and Gore on the field at the same-time has the potential to be a solid offense.

man, a f**king td on 4th and 10? LOL I think I would have fainted.
Originally posted by znk916:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-texans/09000d5d813ad7ce/Texans-seal-win-with-interception

Looks like Smith couldn't step into his throw because of pressure from the left side (thanks Staley and Baas). He was going for VD on the skinny post yet again.

Basically, it wasn't Smith's fault I think.

Vernon was opening up but the pass was not intended for him. Alex was going for Bruce but there was triple coverage on him and he did not have time or space to make the throw to Vernon. Not Alex's fault. Pressure was coming and the worst thing would have been to take a sack.
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
No matter how good the 3 drives were, he threw an INT that lost the opportunity to at least tie the game with a Nedney kick. Teh INT was very reminiscent of how he has played in the past.

So until.. he wins one or four like this, I will continue to be paranoid when he is driving to win with little time left..

Hope he has as good a 4 quarters this week as the 2 he just had..

GO NINERS!!!

Well I hope this can take away a little of your paranoia-or give you some confidence in Alex:

S.Hill hasn't thrown for more than 2td's in a FULL game all year and Alex threw 3 in the half.

He also had more 1st downs in a half than Hill has had in a FULL game all year as well if I'm not mistaken.

Man the koolaid is way strong these days aint it?

As for Mr, Kanada; He had two very fair games in 3 years, except the first halves sucked. See, I'm even giving away the 1.5+ half seasons he didn't play.

I will believe it when I see him start and finish a game doing well. I'm not a huge Hill fan and I don't say necessarily keep him in, so ragging me on that non-issue is ahh. well let's just not throw stones.. because you have a glass house bro.

I just know, MS is already feeling the heat, so it's a smart idea for him to start Smith and see what he has. That way MS keeps the blame off the coaching staff, if Smith fails, again or succeeds in this case; for not being able to get plays to the QB, calling real turkey's of games, etc..

It's like this tour I'm supposed to go on pretty soon after lots of talk in the past by promoters, I will believe it when I'm on the jet with my contract, just like; I WILL BELIEVE SMITH CAN REALLY PLAY AFTER HE PROVES IT ON NUMEROUS OCCASIONS. Doesn't that sound smart to you or what? You believe after, one half of good football, right? Not..

After nearly 7 years of this BS, the ups and downs, and everything that has NOT happened; I take his ONE HALF performance as a step in the right direction only. IF he does it for real over the enxt games then fantastic; he actually proves he "get it" and we have what looks to be a fine #2 in Davis..

So, GO NINERS!

[/u]

Koolaid???

I merely stated some FACTS

and you jumped on a rocket and went to the moon

enjoy your trip

on the trips side, the reciever in the middle ran a hitch route well short of the first down. the reciever to the left of him ran a seam up the middle of the field. The reciever on the far right ran a go route.

the defense was set up perfectly to stop anything beyond the first down marker, Two safeties, a corner and a linebacker to cover three recievers on the right side while a corner and safety to cover the reciever on the left.

The hitch route made no sense. The qb would have to throw the ball quickly and hope the reciever would have broken a few tackles. the hitch route also led to four defenders covering two recievers. that is bad play calling.

This is what they should have called for each reciever against that type of coverage. The reciever in the middle should have ran an in route in order to try to draw one of those two safeties on that side to drop down in coverage. The other two recievers on that side should have ran the same routes that they did. The in route would have drawn one of the safeties to cover him and would have forced one of our recievers to have been one on one deep down the field. On the other hand, if the safety didn't drop down in coverage it would have left the in route one on one with the linebacker in the middle of the field. Either way someone should have recognized this. oh yeah and it's 4th and 10 let the damn running back stay in and pass protect.
Originally posted by insanemike27:
on the trips side, the reciever in the middle ran a hitch route well short of the first down. the reciever to the left of him ran a seam up the middle of the field. The reciever on the far right ran a go route.

the defense was set up perfectly to stop anything beyond the first down marker, Two safeties, a corner and a linebacker to cover three recievers on the right side while a corner and safety to cover the reciever on the left.

The hitch route made no sense. The qb would have to throw the ball quickly and hope the reciever would have broken a few tackles. the hitch route also led to four defenders covering two recievers. that is bad play calling.

This is what they should have called for each reciever against that type of coverage. The reciever in the middle should have ran an in route in order to try to draw one of those two safeties on that side to drop down in coverage. The other two recievers on that side should have ran the same routes that they did. The in route would have drawn one of the safeties to cover him and would have forced one of our recievers to have been one on one deep down the field. On the other hand, if the safety didn't drop down in coverage it would have left the in route one on one with the linebacker in the middle of the field. Either way someone should have recognized this. oh yeah and it's 4th and 10 let the damn running back stay in and pass protect.

i disagree to an extent. i di not think the route morgan ran was a bad one. it is one that will attack that would be effective if they decided to blitz. and gore did stay in to block. but there was nothing he could have done to help the pass block, so he leaked out.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-texans/09000d5d813ad7ce/Texans-seal-win-with-interception

Looks like Smith couldn't step into his throw because of pressure from the left side (thanks Staley and Baas). He was going for VD on the skinny post yet again.

Then whose fault was it? That was simply a terrible pass. It is the same type of decision making that has prevented him from elevating his play. Don't get me wrong, despite that play, it was his best performance as a five year pro and provides a glimmer of hope. But the bottom line is that he has to finish.

I fully recognize that he brought the team back from a 21 point deficit. Great job Alex. But with less than 2 minutes remaining and the team needing a fg to tie, he choked. Maybe next time he will finish.
[ Edited by ttime1 on Oct 28, 2009 at 8:57 PM ]
I thought it was just Baas who got beat on the last play but basically the whole O-Line collapsed in a hurry on the last play
Originally posted by ttime1:

Then whose fault was it? That was simply a terrible pass. It is the same type of decision making that has prevented him from elevating his play. Don't get me wrong, despite that play, it was his best performance as a five year pro ad provides a glimmer of hope. But the bottom line is that he has to finish.

I fully recognize that he brought the team back from a 21 point deficit. Great job Alex. But with less than 2 minutes remaining and the team needing a fg to tie, he choked. Maybe next time he will finish.

look at the goddamn video i dont think he chocked he could not step into his theow at all the D line were all 2ft from him
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Then whose fault was it? That was simply a terrible pass. It is the same type of decision making that has prevented him from elevating his play. Don't get me wrong, despite that play, it was his best performance as a five year pro ad provides a glimmer of hope. But the bottom line is that he has to finish.

look at the goddamn video i dont think he chocked he could not step into his theow at all the D line were all 2ft from him

Son, I saw the video. First of all a qb that is in charge of his offense does not take a delay of game penalty in that situation, no matter what the sideline is doing. Watch Peyton and you will see the difference. Peyton would have called and ran a play and then b***hed about how long it took a play to be called from the sideline.

Second, as many have mentioned, Gore was open. Even if he does not see him, he is supposed to know that Gore is there. When you watch good QB's they often times get out of tight spots by knowing where their safety valve will be when the defense plays a certain way. He did not even try to look at him, but instead threw a bad pass in coverage.

Quit trying to make excuses for him. He had the best game of his five year career!!! But it still was not enough. This team is oozing with play makers and simply needs a QB to perform. as I have said, he has given us a glimmer of hope, but now it is time to finish!!!!! Win the damn game and quit turning the ball over to loose the game.
[ Edited by ttime1 on Oct 28, 2009 at 9:10 PM ]

Son, I saw the video. First of all a qb that is in charge of his offense does not take a delay of game penalty in that situation, no matter what the sideline is doing. Watch Peyton and you will see the difference. Peyton would have called and ran a play and then b***hed about how long it took a play to be called from the sideline.

Second, as many have mentioned, Gore was open. Even if he does not see him, he is supposed to know that Gore is there. When you watch good QB's they often times get out of tight spots by knowing where their safety valve will be when the defense plays a certain way. He did not even try to look at him, but instead threw a bad pass in coverage.

Quit trying to make excuses for him. He had the best game of his five year career!!! But it still was not enough. This team is oozing with play makers and simply needs a QB to perform. as I have said, he has given us a glimmer of hope, but now it is time to finish!!!!! Win the damn game and quit turning the ball over to loose the game.

I don't see it the way you do. He had very little time to throw the ball and barely got it off and could not really step into the throw. For him to come off that side and throw it to the other side to Gore, he would need another second or two plus more space to throw. Because guys are already in his face to his left ,if he was going to throw to Gore. He would have been sacked or get the ball knock down at the line had he thrown it to Gore. Now if the play was designed to go to Gore than I would think it has a good chance but I don't think it was design to go there.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 28, 2009 at 9:23 PM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

I don't see it the way you do. He had very little time to throw the ball and barely got it off and could not really step into the throw. For him to come off that side and throw it to the other side to Gore, he would need another second or two plus more space to throw. Because guys are already in his face to his left ,if he was going to throw to Gore. He would have been sacked or get the ball knock down at the line had he thrown it to Gore. Now if the play was designed to go to Gore than I would think it has a good chance but I don't think it was design to go there.

I understand what you are saying. Getting the ball to Gore would have been difficult. But that is what good QB's do. They make difficult plays and some make difficult plays seem easy.

But the bottom line is that it is his time to step up his game and make the plays that are needed to win games. I don't care if, for instance Gore had 100 yds rushing but fumbled at the one yard line with the game on the line. Winning teams make plays and play makers win games.
[ Edited by ttime1 on Oct 28, 2009 at 9:30 PM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

I understand what you are saying. Getting the ball to Gore would have been difficult. But that is what good QB's do. They make difficult plays and some make difficult plays seem easy.

But the bottom line is that it is his time to step up his game and make the plays that are needed to win games. I don't care if, for instance Gore had 100 yds rushing but fumbled at the one yard line with the game on the line. Winning teams make plays and play makers win games.

great Qbs get more time and have better o line which we dont have if we want to be a winning team we need to fix our o line problem asap

Less then 1:30, from the 7 yard line. Get it right
Share 49ersWebzone