There are 140 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Video of the 4th down INT

should have kept the same play but smith should have stepped back and audible a shotgun.
Originally posted by Ether:
Originally posted by MadMartz:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by B650:
How do we know he was throwing to VD to begin with? There was another 49ers WR right there too.

According to this vid this pass was intended for Bruce.

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Players-React-to-HOU-Loss/f9b49dbe-ca4b-4393-971a-e7e58788697f

If that's the case, how can that possibly be the right decision? He looked like he had about 3 Texans around him.

It looked like he had a big window to me. This is the NFL, people are going to be around the ball sometimes. Not everything is going to be wide open. Smith threw the ball in the proper window. Over the corner and in front of the safety.

No, that was just a bad throw (it looked like a duck pass, he may have gotten hit), that pass didn't look like anything he threw before.

He didnt get hit he got brushed and I doubt that caused a 15yd under throw. I think its obvious that the pass sailed due to the pressure not under thrown.

Yes. Not only that, but VD was running a skinny post towards the sideline. Smith's pass was towards the middle of the field, where Isaac Bruce was headed. I'm not saying it was a bad decision, but I don think the intended target was VD at all. If the O-Line gave him half a second more, he could've found VD and hit him in stride.

You do realize u contradicted yourself when u said "he was running a skinny post towards the sideline" that my friend is impossible as the word "post" means across the middle not towards the sideline.
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Originally posted by Ether:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
How do we know he was throwing to VD to begin with? There was another 49ers WR right there too.

According to this vid this pass was intended for Bruce.

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Players-React-to-HOU-Loss/f9b49dbe-ca4b-4393-971a-e7e58788697f

If that's the case, how can that possibly be the right decision? He looked like he had about 3 Texans around him.

It looked like he had a big window to me. This is the NFL, people are going to be around the ball sometimes. Not everything is going to be wide open. Smith threw the ball in the proper window. Over the corner and in front of the safety.

No, that was just a bad throw (it looked like a duck pass, he may have gotten hit), that pass didn't look like anything he threw before.

He didnt get hit he got brushed and I doubt that caused a 15yd under throw. I think its obvious that the pass sailed due to the pressure not under thrown.

Yes. Not only that, but VD was running a skinny post towards the sideline. Smith's pass was towards the middle of the field, where Isaac Bruce was headed. I'm not saying it was a bad decision, but I don think the intended target was VD at all. If the O-Line gave him half a second more, he could've found VD and hit him in stride.

You do realize u contradicted yourself when u said "he was running a skinny post towards the sideline" that my friend is impossible as the word "post" means across the middle not towards the sideline.

That is true.....

What you were refering to is a Corner route, aka Flag route.
After looking over the video a few times. Alex was off the mark with the pass, it was high and a little behind Bruce. The 9ers successfully drawn the safeties deep with VD running down the seam opening up a hole in the zone for Bruce. Too bad.
[ Edited by father49er on Oct 26, 2009 at 9:56 PM ]
No matter how good the 3 drives were, he threw an INT that lost the opportunity to at least tie the game with a Nedney kick. Teh INT was very reminiscent of how he has played in the past.

So until.. he wins one or four liek this, I will continue to be paranoid when he is driving to win with little time left..

Hope he has as good a 4 quarters this week as the 2 he just had..

GO NINERS!!!
The guy won the half 21-3...what else do you want.

All our other QB had to do was not get shutout and all our defense had to do was not give up 4 or 5 big plays.

Alex is the last guy that needs to be dissected after that loss
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
No matter how good the 3 drives were, he threw an INT that lost the opportunity to at least tie the game with a Nedney kick. Teh INT was very reminiscent of how he has played in the past.

So until.. he wins one or four liek this, I will continue to be paranoid when he is driving to win with little time left..

GO NINERS!!!

Clearly you've forgotten the game winning drives he did lead in his short career on very bad teams.

Again...

Game and a half:
Shaun Hill 10

A half:
Alex Smith 21

He is...and always has been our best chance to win. Shaun Hill's winning record is so incredibly skewed and black/white that our coaching staff should've been able to see through it.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I friggen knew it! -The first time I actually saw the play I got the feeling that Smith was looking to strike Davis again on the skinny post but pressure had sunk into the pocket!

-Houston's D figured that Smith would be going for Bruce again downfield, if Smith had just had 2 more seconds of protection he could have darted Vernon another touchdown and the game would be over.

This is a desperation throw any pro QB would make on 4th & long, with 30 seconds left on the clock. (ala' Eagles/Packers "Miracle at 4th and 26").

Oh and if it makes things worse, Barry Sims was in the lineup during that play.

Yeah, but the main issue is why was it 4th-and-long to begin with? The fact we didn't call a timeout and wasted a down and also got called for yet another delay of game really hurt our chances. Is Smith's headset not working or something?

Agreed
that was critical,4th and short obviously is much better than 4th and long.

It happened a few times,getting the play in- was that all about???
Originally posted by Canadian49er:
The guy won the half 21-3...what else do you want.

All our other QB had to do was not get shutout and all our defense had to do was not give up 4 or 5 big plays.

Alex is the last guy that needs to be dissected after that loss

Exactly..... there's no doubting the pass fluttered and was intercepted but with that said "fluttered passes" aren't overthrown... they are underthrow, (i.e. meant for Davis) who was past the coverage. You can see Davis expecting the ball and when it "fluttered" short because of Alex needing that extra half second to get it all the way down field, the inside pass rush disrupts his throw and it comes up short because of this.

Now it is stupid to argue why he didn't go to Morgan... simple... Morgan wasn't open and by the time Alex was making his throw, the coverage saw this and dropped back making Morgan looking a bit more open by the time Alex releases the ball; remember he had to windup to get it down the field that far but the inside collapses before he is able to really step into it.

The excitement was awesome to come back from so far behind and to see our D step up the 2nd half and almost pitch a shutout but lets just hope the momentum carries over to next week.

Originally posted by Bali-Niner:

GO NINERS!!!

Well I hope this can take away a little of your paranoia-or give you some confidence in Alex:

S.Hill hasn't thrown for more than 2td's in a FULL game all year and Alex threw 3 in the half.

He also had more 1st downs in a half than Hill has had in a FULL game all year as well if I'm not mistaken.
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
They were plaaying what is traditonally referred to as the Bucs 10 defense, essentially it is if you throw short you are not getting the first down bc you have 4 guys thats whole job is to not drop deeper than 9 yds and 4 guys that are playing deep in and out. He went to the right guy the coverage was there and his pass was off, he read the defense right though.

Seemed like Morgan was a better choice, even if it doesn't result in a first-down. I'd take 9 yards and the clock stopped over an INT and game over.

Ok so we'd turn the ball over on downs. Same crap. Ok his passer rating would be 142.1 or higher but what's the point??

What I'm saying is that I think on that play, with the time Smith was given, the odds are probably higher that Morgan runs for an extra yard or two and picks up the 1st, and if he doesn't, I'm fine with that. It beats throwing across the middle the field and praying for a completion.

This^^ is ignorance

^^

Right, and you are who exactly? A Special Olympics coach?

That throw Alex tried to make was basically a desperation heave.

Desperation heave or not at least he put the 49ers in that position to begin with.

To harp on that one pass is ignorance IMO

What he did in that half blows away anything Hill has done this year.
Originally posted by iLL49er:
frank gore wide open on the check down w/ plenty of room in front of him

Yeah he was but Gore was not only on Smith's backside Sims got beat right away on the right side and the left started to collapse as well so he had no time to find Gore who was probably his last option(outlet)
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Super5:

Yeah he was but Gore was not only on Smith's backside Sims got beat right away on the right side and the left started to collapse as well so he had no time to find Gore who was probably his last option(outlet)

With time, he'll be able to go through his progressions much faster. Steve Young was a master at that. He could scan the entire field in half a second and always knew where everyone was at.

i don't know if sims got beat. it wasn't great, but alex didn't even have to step up to avoid (williams?) that was on (baas?) if he picked up his guy alex could have stepped right and avoided everybody.

With time, he'll be able to go through his progressions much faster. Steve Young was a master at that. He could scan the entire field in half a second and always knew where everyone was at.

No one's vision compared to Montana. That guy's vision was second to none.

As for the Smith play I think 4th and 10 was the biggest factor in this. It takes away so many options and gives the defense more elasticity. You can always say he could have done this or that or gone here or there. It was the delay of game that killed us. The percentages go way down on converting.