There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Video of the 4th down INT

Originally posted by Donnies9ers:
Originally posted by B_Carmine:

I think he may have been hit by the looks of it. If he had connected on that throw......He would have been the savior of the 49ers pulling that off. All in all the defense played well in the second half Alex did what he was supposed to. If he can beat the Colts that would be exciting.

The ball definitely comes out funny and looks as if he got hit. It also looks like VD had slipped behind the defenders.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

I think he may have been hit by the looks of it. If he had connected on that throw......He would have been the savior of the 49ers pulling that off. All in all the defense played well in the second half Alex did what he was supposed to. If he can beat the Colts that would be exciting.

The ball definitely comes out funny and looks as if he got hit. It also looks like VD had slipped behind the defenders.

The video shows that the line collapsed BUT

It was sad that while watching that drive ,I was expecting an INT from Smith at some time. Just because he is Alex Smith.
Originally posted by ninerempire25:

It was sad that while watching that drive ,I was expecting an INT from Smith at some time. Just because he is Alex Smith.

way to be a niner fan
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
They were plaaying what is traditonally referred to as the Bucs 10 defense, essentially it is if you throw short you are not getting the first down bc you have 4 guys thats whole job is to not drop deeper than 9 yds and 4 guys that are playing deep in and out. He went to the right guy the coverage was there and his pass was off, he read the defense right though.
It looks like something disrupted his throw, that's why it went short. It's hard to tell from the video, but you're right, he made the right read.
Originally posted by backontop:

way to be a niner fan

I'm a Niner fan.........Not a Smith fan.

I do hope he does play better......The Niners winning comes first , no matter who the QB is.

Like I said it seemed like too good to be true.
  • B650
  • Veteran
How do we know he was throwing to VD to begin with? There was another 49ers WR right there too.
Originally posted by B650:
How do we know he was throwing to VD to begin with? There was another 49ers WR right there too.

According to this vid this pass was intended for Bruce.

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Players-React-to-HOU-Loss/f9b49dbe-ca4b-4393-971a-e7e58788697f
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadMartz:

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Players-React-to-HOU-Loss/f9b49dbe-ca4b-4393-971a-e7e58788697f

If that's the case, how can that possibly be the right decision? He looked like he had about 3 Texans around him.

If that's the case, how can that possibly be the right decision? He looked like he had about 3 Texans around him.

It looked like he had a big window to me. This is the NFL, people are going to be around the ball sometimes. Not everything is going to be wide open. Smith threw the ball in the proper window. Over the corner and in front of the safety.
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
They were plaaying what is traditonally referred to as the Bucs 10 defense, essentially it is if you throw short you are not getting the first down bc you have 4 guys thats whole job is to not drop deeper than 9 yds and 4 guys that are playing deep in and out. He went to the right guy the coverage was there and his pass was off, he read the defense right though.

Seemed like Morgan was a better choice, even if it doesn't result in a first-down. I'd take 9 yards and the clock stopped over an INT and game over.

It was 4th down, he had to try something.
I saw that too. They keep saying he was passing to Bruce but it looked more like he was aiming for VD but couldn't step into the throw.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mospeed:
I saw that too. They keep saying he was passing to Bruce but it looked more like he was aiming for VD but couldn't step into the throw.

That's what I thought too, since he was his favorite target yesterday.

It looks like to me that Eugene Wilson lines up as a deep safety on Morgan/Bruce side, playing a 3 deep zone. Vernon doesn't look open to me because he runs into Eugene's zone. You can see Eugene enter the camera right before the snap (where the sun hits the field), to disguise the coverage.

The pass to Bruce was the best decision because there is space in the middle of the field behind the first layer of defenders and in front of Eugene and the safety in the middle of the field.

The Texans took away the obvious Morgan route and won't let anybody like Vernon or Crabtree beat them deep. The middle of the field was open for Bruce but because of the hit on Smith, the pass sailed too high.

At least that what it looks like to me.
[ Edited by DesiDez on Oct 26, 2009 at 6:58 PM ]

It looked like he had a big window to me. This is the NFL, people are going to be around the ball sometimes. Not everything is going to be wide open. Smith threw the ball in the proper window. Over the corner and in front of the safety.

No, that was just a bad throw (it looked like a duck pass, he may have gotten hit), that pass didn't look like anything he threw before.
Originally posted by backontop:

way to be a niner fan

I'm a Niner fan.........Not a Smith fan.

I do hope he does play better......The Niners winning comes first , no matter who the QB is.

Like I said it seemed like too good to be true.

The 3 TDs totally overshadows the 1 INT to me. Considering what the offense was currently producing with Shaun Hill.