There are 171 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Video of the 4th down INT

frank gore wide open on the check down w/ plenty of room in front of him
Originally posted by iLL49er:
frank gore wide open on the check down w/ plenty of room in front of him

I saw Frank open but you can''t really see all of the linebackers waiting for him. I think VD was the better option as he was 4 yards behind the defense. Alex was hit or stopped as he threw or that was a TD.
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
They were plaaying what is traditonally referred to as the Bucs 10 defense, essentially it is if you throw short you are not getting the first down bc you have 4 guys thats whole job is to not drop deeper than 9 yds and 4 guys that are playing deep in and out. He went to the right guy the coverage was there and his pass was off, he read the defense right though.

Seemed like Morgan was a better choice, even if it doesn't result in a first-down. I'd take 9 yards and the clock stopped over an INT and game over.

Ok so we'd turn the ball over on downs. Same crap. Ok his passer rating would be 142.1 or higher but what's the point??

What I'm saying is that I think on that play, with the time Smith was given, the odds are probably higher that Morgan runs for an extra yard or two and picks up the 1st, and if he doesn't, I'm fine with that. It beats throwing across the middle the field and praying for a completion.

This^^ is ignorance

^^

Right, and you are who exactly? A Special Olympics coach?

That throw Alex tried to make was basically a desperation heave.

you can say whatever you want that is fine, but I have brought actual Facts to the table giving an in-depth analysis as to why the ball went where. You on the other hand have simply hidden behind the words "I think" and provided no substanial football knowledge or facts to back your opinion and that is why no matter what team you may think I coach, I have presented an argument while you have presented an opinion. Btw hang around the zone awhile and you would know that I am a Db's coach, so I know coverages.
[ Edited by nvchamp9ers on Oct 26, 2009 at 5:08 PM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
At least he didn't take a sack, which is what would have been the out come if Hill was in there on that play.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by billbird2111:
They were plaaying what is traditonally referred to as the Bucs 10 defense, essentially it is if you throw short you are not getting the first down bc you have 4 guys thats whole job is to not drop deeper than 9 yds and 4 guys that are playing deep in and out. He went to the right guy the coverage was there and his pass was off, he read the defense right though.

Seemed like Morgan was a better choice, even if it doesn't result in a first-down. I'd take 9 yards and the clock stopped over an INT and game over.

Ok so we'd turn the ball over on downs. Same crap. Ok his passer rating would be 142.1 or higher but what's the point??

What I'm saying is that I think on that play, with the time Smith was given, the odds are probably higher that Morgan runs for an extra yard or two and picks up the 1st, and if he doesn't, I'm fine with that. It beats throwing across the middle the field and praying for a completion.

This^^ is ignorance

^^

He's a football coach B650. And he knows what he's talking about. He probably should have used a better choice of words. But he is a student of the game.

I do believe him in the assessment that Morgan would not have gotten far enough to get a first down.

Nolan was a coach too.

Mike Nolan is running a Top 5 (if not #1) defense in the league. Where exactly are you going with this?
Originally posted by B_Carmine:

No way Morgan would have picked up the first. The video is misleading as the closest defender had already broken on the ball away from Morgan. If morgan catches that, he would get laid out almost immediately by 2 or 3 defenders who were sitting on the 1st down line.
[ Edited by alburns on Oct 26, 2009 at 5:21 PM ]
it looks like he was going for bruce who was in between 4 defenders, VD was past them all, but it looked more like an over throw to bruce vs. a poorly underthrown ball, but who knows, cause smith didnt have time to load up

Our O-line is so bad at picking up stunts. Look at how the LG on this play gets stuck looking at the guy looping towards Staley. Then he gets BLOWN UP by the Texan defender but it's already too late.

I don't get why these idiots can't figure out how to play stunts.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I friggen knew it! -The first time I actually saw the play I got the feeling that Smith was looking to strike Davis again on the skinny post but pressure had sunk into the pocket!

-Houston's D figured that Smith would be going for Bruce again downfield, if Smith had just had 2 more seconds of protection he could have darted Vernon another touchdown and the game would be over.

This is a desperation throw any pro QB would make on 4th & long, with 30 seconds left on the clock. (ala' Eagles/Packers "Miracle at 4th and 26").

Oh and if it makes things worse, Barry Sims was in the lineup during that play.

I know it was 30 secs but we only needed to get into field goal range and not a big play TD there.......and like someone else said, I would have like that pass go to Morgan and let him try and get a 1st down....

but in the end everything was just frantic...I wish we used a timeout to calm this down...get some plays and spike the ball and kick a FG.....but either way, I was just happy that our Oline and our players didn't go offside or anything on that drive.

so lets just learn from this.....its not a big deal for me this game because we were in a position to winning a game we were not suppose to win, after being down 21 points and having Alex come in (after being gone for so long)......these next two weeks is where I'll start to panic..... if we play well at Indy that would be GREAT....but we cannot wait that long to make adjustments with our playcalling or personal......... I did NOT understand why Chilo was still there after the 1st qtr.

This^^ is ignorance

^^

you can say whatever you want that is fine, but I have brought actual Facts to the table giving an in-depth analysis as to why the ball went where. You on the other hand have simply hidden behind the words "I think" and provided no substanial football knowledge or facts to back your opinion and that is why no matter what team you may think I coach, I have presented an argument while you have presented an opinion. Btw hang around the zone awhile and you would know that I am a Db's coach, so I know coverages.

OK you are going a little overboard here. Morgan was definitely covered and it would have been tough to get the 1st down. But to say with any certainty that Morgan couldn't have made a man miss to pick up the 1st down is equally ignorant.

With that said I think Alex made the proper read but his arm was hit on the follow through. You cant throw the ball short on that down and distance, You have to throw the ball at or past the chains in that situation.

This^^ is ignorance

^^

LMAO! You'd think this guy was Belichick the way he talks, lol.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Bottom line is Alex Smith did a good job. I'm not going to blame him for this one play when the team had 11 penalties and the starting QB had 45 yards passing. It seemed like he had a couple of other options, but he made the throw that he made, and it didn't work out. Most of the blame should be aimed at the OL for not giving him (or Hill for that matter) any time to throw.
  • Donnies9ers
  • Info N/A

I think he may have been hit by the looks of it. If he had connected on that throw......He would have been the savior of the 49ers pulling that off. All in all the defense played well in the second half Alex did what he was supposed to. If he can beat the Colts that would be exciting.
If you really look at the replay it should be somewhat obvious that if Alex throws the ball to Morgan the DB would most likely be making a play on the ball but if nothing else the DB is at least tackling Morgan shortly after he catches the ball.