There are 236 users in the forums

Video of the 4th down INT

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Originally posted by B650:
They were plaaying what is traditonally referred to as the Bucs 10 defense, essentially it is if you throw short you are not getting the first down bc you have 4 guys thats whole job is to not drop deeper than 9 yds and 4 guys that are playing deep in and out. He went to the right guy the coverage was there and his pass was off, he read the defense right though.

Seemed like Morgan was a better choice, even if it doesn't result in a first-down. I'd take 9 yards and the clock stopped over an INT and game over.

it was 4th down
Morgan was open and could have got out of bounds. BUT Davis was WIDE OPEN. if smith had the extra sec or room to step up and throw over the 3 defenders davis would have caught it with no one in front of him. At least in the vid it looked like it if i can get a second opinion.
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
gore ftw

watch that play and keep an eye on gore

watch the LB's and their position, they know where Gore is, the point of the zone that they are running is to give up the short routes and gang tackle the player, Gore had almost no shot of converting 11 yds on that D, it is setup to stop that route along with several others, ideally a slant is the best route against it but it was not called so it didnt happen.

Not only that but on 4th down you have to throw the ball past the sticks. You really cant leave anything to chance at that point. You have to at least give yourself a legitimate shot at the first down.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I friggen knew it! -The first time I actually saw the play I got the feeling that Smith was looking to strike Davis again on the skinny post but pressure had sunk into the pocket!

-Houston's D figured that Smith would be going for Bruce again downfield, if Smith had just had 2 more seconds of protection he could have darted Vernon another touchdown and the game would be over.

This is a desperation throw any pro QB would make on 4th & long, with 30 seconds left on the clock. (ala' Eagles/Packers "Miracle at 4th and 26").

Oh and if it makes things worse, Barry Sims was in the lineup during that play.

Yeah, but the main issue is why was it 4th-and-long to begin with? The fact we didn't call a timeout and wasted a down and also got called for yet another delay of game really hurt our chances. Is Smith's headset not working or something?
Originally posted by Axl49:
They were plaaying what is traditonally referred to as the Bucs 10 defense, essentially it is if you throw short you are not getting the first down bc you have 4 guys thats whole job is to not drop deeper than 9 yds and 4 guys that are playing deep in and out. He went to the right guy the coverage was there and his pass was off, he read the defense right though.

Seemed like Morgan was a better choice, even if it doesn't result in a first-down. I'd take 9 yards and the clock stopped over an INT and game over.

it was 4th down
Morgan was open and could have got out of bounds. BUT Davis was WIDE OPEN. if smith had the extra sec or room to step up and throw over the 3 defenders davis would have caught it with no one in front of him. At least in the vid it looked like it if i can get a second opinion.

please refer to my post explaining the defense further and why alex didnt throw to morgan
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I friggen knew it! -The first time I actually saw the play I got the feeling that Smith was looking to strike Davis again on the skinny post but pressure had sunk into the pocket!

-Houston's D figured that Smith would be going for Bruce again downfield, if Smith had just had 2 more seconds of protection he could have darted Vernon another touchdown and the game would be over.

This is a desperation throw any pro QB would make on 4th & long, with 30 seconds left on the clock. (ala' Eagles/Packers "Miracle at 4th and 26").

Oh and if it makes things worse, Barry Sims was in the lineup during that play.

Yeah, but the main issue is why was it 4th-and-long to begin with? The fact we didn't call a timeout and wasted a down and also got called for yet another delay of game really hurt our chances. Is Smith's headset not working or something?

IDK but it was really loud at that point in the game. It definately cant happen again.

it was 4th down

Yeah, I'm saying in general though. He also had Gore open in the flats and ignored him a couple plays earlier. Seems like he's just looking for the big play. I mean what's better, throw the ball to Morgan and hope he can get an additional yard, or wildly throw the ball down the field into a tight window? I guess what I'm saying is I would've taken my chances by just throwing it to Morgan and hoping he can get that extra yard, because he was already about 7 or 8 yards down the field and running full speed so if the ball is there accurately, his momentum probably carries him another 2 yards.

we had 30 seconds to get across the field who wouldnt look for the big play

Ok so we'd turn the ball over on downs. Same crap. Ok his passer rating would be 142.1 or higher but what's the point??
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JeuSF49:

Ok so we'd turn the ball over on downs. Same crap. Ok his passer rating would be 142.1 or higher but what's the point??

What I'm saying is that I think on that play, with the time Smith was given, the odds are probably higher that Morgan runs for an extra yard or two and picks up the 1st, and if he doesn't, I'm fine with that. It beats throwing across the middle the field and praying for a completion.

What I'm saying is that I think on that play, with the time Smith was given, the odds are probably higher that Morgan runs for an extra yard or two and picks up the 1st, and if he doesn't, I'm fine with that. It beats throwing across the middle the field and praying for a completion.

This^^ is ignorance
  • B650
  • Veteran

This^^ is ignorance

^^

Right, and you are who exactly? A Special Olympics coach?

That throw Alex tried to make was basically a desperation heave.

This^^ is ignorance

Now, now. We have a lot of armchair coaches in this league. Bill Bird included. I do believe you in that Morgan wouldn't have had a chance. The video is misleading. It appears he does have the room as Alex is making the final throw over the middle.

But it also shows the defender that had been shadowing Morgan was clearly pulling off by this point, reacting to the throw. It makes Morgan appears to be more wide open that he probably was.

I'm just sayin!

This^^ is ignorance

^^

He's a football coach B650. And he knows what he's talking about. He probably should have used a better choice of words. But he is a student of the game.

I do believe him in the assessment that Morgan would not have gotten far enough to get a first down.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by billbird2111:

This^^ is ignorance

^^

He's a football coach B650. And he knows what he's talking about. He probably should have used a better choice of words. But he is a student of the game.

I do believe him in the assessment that Morgan would not have gotten far enough to get a first down.

Nolan was a coach too.
wasnt his fault he got hit right as he threw.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
wasnt his fault he got hit right as he threw.

This.
Share 49ersWebzone