LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 346 users in the forums

Fire GM Scott McClueless a.s.a.p.

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Fire GM Scott McClueless a.s.a.p.

Originally posted by kronik:
Why don't you list McCloughan's draft record (4 years) and then you list Holmgren's last 4 years where he was in charge of the draft. Then let's compare and discuss.

The only GM's I would replace Scott with are Ozzie Newsome and Bill Polian. I have seen the recent drafts of Bellichek and Parcells and I think they are so overrated.

This. People who hate on Scot should look at this team in 2004 and then look at it again today. We still have some holes, yeah, and Scot hasn't been perfect, but this team is loads better than it was.

People just want some big name as if that's going to solve any and all problems. Scot is a pretty young GM who has done a nice job in his role, which has recently expanded, remember. Let's give him another couple years to see if he can build on our good foundation.
Holmgren is a very overrated head coach. When he took the Packers all the way, it was actually a really strong Packers team with a group of outstanding assistant coaches that took him there. When he has only average players, then his teams are very average. Holmgren was a very good offensive coordinator that had a tendency to land in the right place at the right time, but he was never a difference maker. Also don't forget that he lost his dual head coach/GM title while up in Seattle. I'd pass on Holmgren.
  • Mex49
I think young Jed needs to start seperating himself with his buddies in the front office.
If Singletary cant turn this ship around, I think Jed needs to start over and it wont be easy firing the very guys that help educate him as he became team Pres.

The Nolan gang has had enough time to put a playoff team together.
2008 draft isn't really that bad if you consider we got one starter (Morgan) and two backups (Balmer/Reggie Smith) at the very least. I've lost all hope for Chilo though. Hopefully we never have to see Wallace in action any time soon.
If Alex works out thatll give him every single 49er 1st round draft pick (save for Kentwan Balmer) as a starter. our of them Crabs has star all over him. Vernon reaching that level, Staley and Manny are solid and Willis is a star.

Add to that Gore whos a star, Goldson playing well, Morgan picking it up and then teh "McClueless" label just seems silly. The guy has brought in playmakers. He got us real good FAs. (other than TBC but hey everyone makes mistakes). I just think seeing our 2003 2004 rosters..hell our 2005 roster, hes done an incredible job.

I think Alex will really put either teh genius label on McCloughan or the "#1 bust of the past decade" label will be on his resume.
  • kdogg
  • Veteran
Alex Smith, Frank Gore, VD, Willis, Staley, Manny, Crabtree, etc. Those are solid draft picks. How they were used (Nolan exclude Crabtree) is a different story. *cough* 3-4 defense.
Anyone calling for Holmgren only wants him b/c of his connection to the Niner glory days. It has little connection to Holmgren's record as GM of the Hawks.

His record speaks for itself and it says several things very clearly:

1. His best picks (Alexander and Hutchinson) were highly rated players that unexpectedly fell to him and weren't really needs.
2. When he drafted for need, he generally picked busts (Robinson, Spencer, Stevens, King).
3. He is INCAPABLE of evaluating young defensive talent. Only 2 players from all his drafts ever made any defensive impact (Lucas and Bernard)

Holmgren as GM? No, thanks.
  • Luca
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Holmgren doesn't have a clue on how to be a GM

I agree.
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
If Alex works out thatll give him every single 49er 1st round draft pick (save for Kentwan Balmer) as a starter. our of them Crabs has star all over him. Vernon reaching that level, Staley and Manny are solid and Willis is a star.

Add to that Gore whos a star, Goldson playing well, Morgan picking it up and then teh "McClueless" label just seems silly. The guy has brought in playmakers. He got us real good FAs. (other than TBC but hey everyone makes mistakes). I just think seeing our 2003 2004 rosters..hell our 2005 roster, hes done an incredible job.

I think Alex will really put either teh genius label on McCloughan or the "#1 bust of the past decade" label will be on his resume.

Goldson isn't playing well, but other than that and Scot being tied to Smith, I pretty much agree with you. The interesting thing about how the team handled Smith is that we haven't been forced to ditch him and start from total scratch yet--and even if Smith doesn't succeed this year and we decide to draft a QB, I just don't get the sense of failure and starting over that places like Detroit faced when they had to admit wrong on Harrington. Smith and the team together have reimagined his role, something very rare for a #1 overall QB.
I am SOOOO sick of the complaining about McG.

People seem to forget how bad Donahue was, how few picks worked out for Policy and Clark, and over rate the drafting of Walsh.

Don't get me wrong, Walsh was a great evaluator of talent, but he didn't hit on EVERY pick.

Alex just had one of his best games, Vernin DID have his best game, Lawson is playing well (tho not as a pass-rusher, but thats not his role anymore), Willis is the best LB in the game, Staley is an up and coming LT who will be here for years, Balmer has been a bit disappointing but is working his way into the rotation and Crabtree looked great in his first game.

...AND THATS JUST THE FIRST ROUNDERS.

Morgan, McDonald, Goldson, Haralson, Walker are all contributing...

...oh and we also got this guy named Frank Gore in the 3rd round.

FA's?

Nate is a keeper (and don't start with the contract...you overpay in FA...its a fact of life, Walt Harris was much better than anyone anticipated, Justin Smith has been a beast, Michael Lewis has been solid, and outside of a total brain-fart vs. Atlanta Bly has played well.

Can we please back off McG now?

Originally posted by znk916:
2008 draft isn't really that bad if you consider we got one starter (Morgan) and two backups (Balmer/Reggie Smith) at the very least. I've lost all hope for Chilo though. Hopefully we never have to see Wallace in action any time soon.

Chilo will be fine.

The guy is a mauler who is just pressign too hard right now. I think he'll end up sitting for awhile and come back better.
Bottom line is that we are still a mediocre team we are not a playoff team yet which we would expect. Most of the picks have not been any good and at the end of the day is wins that equal success wouldn't you guys agree and we are not and have been not winning for years sorry.
Norwalks.. You aren't getting much traction on the premise of this thread. I, like most of the respondents feel that Scott is doing a good job and would not want to see Holmgren replace Scott.

My only complaint would be his apprent inability to draft O-Linemen. Outside of Staley, who I think is really solid, the rest of his OL draft choices have not panned out. Not sure if this is because he can't spot OL talent or if he is drafting OL talent and they are not being coached up to the NFL level.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Norwalks.. You aren't getting much traction on the premise of this thread. I, like most of the respondents feel that Scott is doing a good job and would not want to see Holmgren replace Scott.

My only complaint would be his apprent inability to draft O-Linemen. Outside of Staley, who I think is really solid, the rest of his OL draft choices have not panned out. Not sure if this is because he can't spot OL talent or if he is drafting OL talent and they are not being coached up to the NFL level.

I just don't see any results in the field which are wins we are still a mediocre team. The players he has drafted have been mediocre with the exception of Gore, Willis, VD, Crabs that is it and we still have QB issues at least holmgren knows what it would take to build a team especially QB since he's been in multiple super bowls and why wouldn't we take a chance since we have been mediocre since McClueless has been here?
[ Edited by Norwalks_Best on Oct 26, 2009 at 2:12 PM ]
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Bottom line is that we are still a mediocre team we are not a playoff team yet which we would expect. Most of the picks have not been any good and at the end of the day is wins that equal success wouldn't you guys agree and we are not and have been not winning for years sorry.

Share 49ersWebzone