LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 389 users in the forums

Official Alex Smith is our starting QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mayo63:
Congratulations, Alex keep it going young man. This can really turn out beautifully for the Niners in the long run. If Alex continues his play, we won't need to blow a high draft pick on a Qb in the draft. We can concentrate on OL, OLB, S in 2010. Alex can play himself into a new contract and everyone is happy. This is really looking like it might actually work out for everyone.

Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
Congratulations, Alex keep it going young man. This can really turn out beautifully for the Niners in the long run. If Alex continues his play, we won't need to blow a high draft pick on a Qb in the draft. We can concentrate on OL, OLB, S in 2010. Alex can play himself into a new contract and everyone is happy. This is really looking like it might actually work out for everyone.

This
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

what does al davis have to do with this

Al moments before the sixth pick hoping that Hayward-Bey would still be there at seven.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by pd24:
Excuse me, but does anyone in Niner Talk care about WINS?

Or, is it just "who starts at QB?"

The QB is a big part of winning games.

So is defense. In fact, I'd say it's just as big if not bigger.

Do you think any QB in a Niner uni is going to win after giving up three first half TD's? Or perhaps you'd like a repeat of the Atlanta game?

Isn't there a thread about the defense? You can post in that one, nobody is stopping you. This is a thread about the starting QB and you came in here and tried to take it off topic by wanting to talk about other things that are wrong with this team. it looks like you have been a part of the webzone a while, so you should know all you have to do is look for a thread that is talking about the subject you want to talk about and you can post in it.

Wow. That was nice.

Not "new guy like" at all. Good show man!

people showing respect to each other in Niner Talk?

A new day has dawned indeed!

All hail Alex!

If Alex gets us a win against the Colts -- I'll do more than hail. I'll hurl.

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I have said many things here in the zone regarding our QB situation in the last couple of years.

1) We don't have any "starting" QBs on the roster.

2) Hill is a career #3 with a bad back a weak arm and the heart of a lion.

3) Alex is a millon dollar arm with a 10 cent head.

4) The best thing that could happen to Alex is that he sits rides the pine, holds the clipboard and gets time to mature.

5) Regardless of how well either of them play we should always be looking to improve at the QB situation.

I saw nothing yesterday to prove me wrong, I hope Alex does well and becomes the QB some of you seem to think he is.

two and a half years isn't enough for you?

You are right that we don't yet have a big enough sample size from Smith to know for sure if he's an improved player or not, but I still don't see you can't be a little optimistic after watching Smith throw for OUR FIRST 200 yard game this season and only his SECOND 3 TD game in just ONE HALF.

Well judging by his performance yesterday... 2 and a half years was just about right
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
OK mods DO YOUR FREAKING JOBS..... How many A. Smith for Quarterback threads are you gonna allow.......

I'm for Alex starting also, But my posts get shut down if they were discussed three days prior.... Lets be fair

I'm glad Alex is starting. As much as we all liked Hill heart, his game was not pretty lately. Sure, 1 half of football is hardly enough to know if Alex can get it done consistantly, but why not hope for the best. And if any of you expect this TEAM(not Alex) to beat Indy...let's be realistic. We all want it to happen, but let's not get our hopes up too too high, it just makes for a bigger let down. Again, hope for the best, but expect the worst.
I have said many things here in the zone regarding our QB situation in the last couple of years.

4) The best thing that could happen to Alex is that he sits rides the pine, holds the clipboard and gets time to mature.

5) Regardless of how well either of them play we should always be looking to improve at the QB situation.

I saw nothing yesterday to prove me wrong, I hope Alex does well and becomes the QB some of you seem to think he is.

"Alex is a million dollar arm with a 10 cent head." Really, that is what you saw yesterday?
[ Edited by BHulman on Oct 26, 2009 at 2:17 PM ]
Originally posted by BHulman:

"Alex is a million dollar arm with a 10 cent head." Really, that is what you saw yesterday?

maybe he is referring to the size of his head? I know he isn't taking a shot at his intelligence because even the announcers mentioned that Smith is a very smart kid
  • rum53
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ROLLiEXROLL:
Originally posted by rum53:
This is Alex's last chance at 49ers QB. If he can't succeed now, he never will.

We very quietly have put together a talented offense with Gore, VD, Crabtree, and Morgan. We have several others ready to fill in as roll players (B. Jones, J. Hill, G. Coffee, D. Walker, M. Robinson).

The pieces are in place on offense. Can Smith make the most of his opportunity?

I can totally agree with you, but even though we have weapons, do we have a good enough O line? Riddle me that.

A good QB can help overcome an Olines deficiencies.

First, it is a QB's responsibility to identify the blitz and either audible out of the play, hit the hot read, or get the ball out quickly. Also, a mobile QB can take off and run if there is pressure and nobody is open.

Second, an effective passing game will help the running game because defenses will have to scheme against the pass. Teams can't bring up a 8th man in the box or they open themselves up to a big play. The offense can also spread the defense out wide which opens up running lanes in the middle of the field.

Third, offense is all about rhythm and timing. As the offense gets into a rhythm, players gain confidence. Long drives also wear opposing defenses out making the it easier on offense. Ultimately, an offense can't get into a rhythm if they keep having 3-and-outs.

Fourth, balanced offenses keep defenses guessing. When players don't know if the play is a run or pass, they tend to play with a little hesitation. This in turn gives the offense a slight advantage.

Our OLine is in a funk right now. The players are better than they are currently playing. In my opinion the fundamental issue is a lack of chemistry. I think our Oline still can build chemistry this season. Hopefully, a change at QB will help them get it together.

Look five post's up and read item 4) over again, I was patting myself on the back a little!
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Oct 26, 2009 at 2:22 PM ]
Good for him.

Now lets find out how early we draft a QB next year? Alex YOU have TOTAL control of answering that question.

Let the EXCUSES finally stop on this forum....please god let them stop. From here on out lets let the player take full responsibility for how he performs on Sunday
“Hopefully, we can make them play us fair,’’ Singletary said, referring to opponents. “We can branch out and open things up.”

mmmm
[ Edited by RonMexico on Oct 26, 2009 at 2:24 PM ]
Originally posted by backontop:

maybe he is referring to the size of his head? I know he isn't taking a shot at his intelligence because even the announcers mentioned that Smith is a very smart kid

Dude smart and "football Smart" are two different things, and by they check item 4 on my list, the time on the pine seemed to help Alex out a bit.
Originally posted by danimal:
Good for him.

Now lets find out how early we draft a QB next year? Alex YOU have TOTAL control of answering that question.

Let the EXCUSES finally stop on this forum....please god let them stop. From here on out lets let the player take full responsibility for how he performs on Sunday

You really come across bitter man, I hope you aren't this unhappy in real life. Since when has Smith ever shunned responsibility for his own play? I doubt he reads these forums anyway...
Share 49ersWebzone