There are 179 users in the forums

Official Alex Smith is our starting QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I've always hated on Smith...but if yesterdays performance was just a sneak preview than I'm all for it. I know Houston was playing a bit more soft due to the lead and the fact that they didn't gameplan against Smith.

The fact is Smith made those nice throws, he avoided sacks Hill wouldn't have been able to avoid. He didn't panic under pressure, our O LINE needs to do a much better job against a 3 man rush though.

I'm excited again
[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Oct 26, 2009 at 1:08 PM ]
Originally posted by pd24:
This is the 1st time Alex has a good WR core and this Version of Vernon Davis. I think he will do fine, just get the ball to Davis, Crabtree, Gore, Morgan, or Bruce and let them do the work. As long as he is quick in decision making. he will be good.

Sounds like we finally have the makings of a potent offense! GO NINERS!
Originally posted by backontop:
ok coach lets run the spread offense. We have a QB and a WR who played very well in the spread offense. Make it happen

In all honesty I think they still need to keep Gore as the main focus, but DEFINITELY have to include the spread package in the gameplan now that Smith is at the helm.

Open it up!
every Hillusionist on this forum is crying themselves to sleep for the next few days

Suicide watch on the Golden Gate is going to be on triple time - People are going to have to come to terms that Hill really was and is the undrafted player everyone thought he was and yes their really was a reason he didn't play a down for the first 5 years in the league - He does not have NFL level talent.

Alex needs to keep us in the game next week - push the ball down the field the best DEF against Peyton is keeping him off the damn field - With the IND DE we should be running alot of Bootlegs and quick slants to VD and Crabs - hopefully that can open some damn running lanes for Frank.

Go 9ers there is hope!!!
Just watched Sunday's game. Alex looked to have some zip on this throws(either that or I'm just used to seeing ducks from Hill.) Anyways, its nice to see Smith get a chance but I hope coach doesn't do the revolving door of QB's. That won't be good for either QB or the team. Alex does add another dimension to the offense with the ability to scramble and extend the play. Hopefully we can incorporate more passing to open up our awful run game. Maiocco made a excellent point. With the exception of those 2 long runs against Seattle, our run game has been non-existent.

Hopefully, if we can't get Eric Berry(man crush) in the draft, we concentrate on upgrading our O-line in the early rounds.
Originally posted by verb1der:
ok coach lets run the spread offense. We have a QB and a WR who played very well in the spread offense. Make it happen

In all honesty I think they still need to keep Gore as the main focus, but DEFINITELY have to include the spread package in the gameplan now that Smith is at the helm.

Open it up!

I don't think Gore needs to be the main focus of the offense if we have a capable QB and some legit weapons at the WR and TE positions. I would say running a balanced spread offense would be the best option. If that makes sense. 3 and 4 WR sets with Gore in the backfield. It limits the number of offenders up at the line and gives him some breathing room

Open it up!

I don't think Gore needs to be the main focus of the offense if we have a capable QB and some legit weapons at the WR and TE positions. I would say running a balanced spread offense would be the best option. If that makes sense. 3 and 4 WR sets with Gore in the backfield. It limits the number of offenders up at the line and gives him some breathing room

The style of offense that Turner ran when he was here would be great with Smith in there. Not sure if a spread offense will work for long, I say mix it up!
for the first time this year I'm really excited to see our offense play.

--that's not to say that I didn't support Hill. Call me a Hillusionist but I thought he deserved the chance to start and rewarded that faith early in the year with some clutch plays. But clearly Smith gives us a chance to utilize our Wr's more and I hope that opens up the offense as a whole. With better playmakers than we've ever had its time for Smith to reward our faith as well.

Open it up!

Yeah I'll take that, we definitely have the weapons to spread it out. I'm just skeptical about Singletary changing the stubborn "running" philosophy.

It'll be very interesting to see how this offense changes now that there's a QB that can throw.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Open it up!

The style of offense that Turner ran when he was here would be great with Smith in there. Not sure if a spread offense will work for long, I say mix it up!

Well like they say, Raye's style of offense is "run to set up pass". I think it'll work regardless because defenses will have to respect the pass game with the addition of Smith and Crabtree.

Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Open it up!

definitely mix it up. A deep passing game will open up the run and allow us to rely on Gore. Balance is the key.

Frankly, spread or no spread--I'm not sure if what we we ran yesterday can really be called a spread or not--I'd like to see us run more up-tempo. Smith's best performances have come in more hurry-up kinds of situations where he doesn't have the chance to over think things.
Good news. I never gave up hope in Smith. I came to respect Hill and believe he is a competent QB, but if the Niners are going to take it to another level they need more upside at the QB position. I think both Smith and Nate Davis have shown that upside potential and Hill looks more like a good backup. The run game will open up when we show that we can hurt teams with mid to deep range passes. Go Niners! And congratulations to Smith for hanging in there. This kid deserves to enjoy some success for all the crap he's been through and how well he's handled himself.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Congratulations, Alex keep it going young man. This can really turn out beautifully for the Niners in the long run. If Alex continues his play, we won't need to blow a high draft pick on a Qb in the draft. We can concentrate on OL, OLB, S in 2010. Alex can play himself into a new contract and everyone is happy. This is really looking like it might actually work out for everyone.
OFFICIAL Alex has matured...just take a look at the BEFORE and AFTER pics...LOL...

BEFORE: looks like the kid on the cover of MAD Magazine

AFTER: Someone who has been around and suffered....a grown man...

I feel like a new season has started.
Share 49ersWebzone