LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

Official Alex Smith is our starting QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by znk916:

LOL.

When did he do that. That was a hell of a block.

preseason man! can't hate on Alex if you dont watch what he does! lol

And the cool thing about it, after the game when he was asked about that hit...

He said that he kind of stood over the defender for a second after the hit, cuz that's what they always do to him when he gets sacked. So it felt good to kind of stand there looking down at him, hehe
Like my lil' girl said when she watched the game...Daddy, he's got a 'tude.

• B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonJulio:

LOL.

He said that he kind of stood over the defender for a second after the hit, cuz that's what they always do to him when he gets sacked. So it felt good to kind of stand there looking down at him, hehe

He blocks better than half our offensive line.
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by DonJulio:

LOL.

He blocks better than half our offensive line.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If and when Smith has a bad game, then everyone will be clamoring for Hill again.
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
If and when Smith has a bad game, then everyone will be clamoring for Hill again.

Who knows. Have to give the kid a shot though that is forsure. Im no Alex Smith guy but he didn't look like the Alex I remember.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
LISTEN! I agree that Alex Smith played well, but the Texans didnt game plan on him, and they were up by 21. I really hope that Alex will be successful, but remember that teams are not going to game plan for him (blitzes, stunts) and this may pose a problem for him. But regardless of who our starting qb is, I will support him! Lets go Alex Smith! (I cant believe I just said that)

damn the hillusionists just can't stop hating on Smith. now who is the one making excuses? the texans didn't gameplan for Smith? Are you serious? They are a professional football and should be able to deal with the back up QB(even if he is better than the starter) So when Hill is in the game the defenses are not blitzing? Listen Hill sucked and has always sucked. Smith came in and outplayed him by miles and is now the starter and you Hillusionists just can't let it go. the noodle arm was the reason for the poor offensive performances!

Really, Hill has always sucked?

Even though he faced a bad Texans D, and caught them off guard when we showed off his arm and the spread offense, I still give credit to Alex for playing that well. (the same way I gave credit to Hill when he came in against the Vikings last year for the half and played well)

After seeing what Alex can do, I have no doubt in my mind anymore who should be the starting QB. It's his job to lose now, just like it was Hill's. I think it's safe to assume that most fans now would want Smith to start after seeing what he did.

And it wasn't so much Hill that was the problem with the offense, it was the way he was being used, if he would've came out in that spread offense, I'm sure we would've moved the ball better, not as good as we did with Alex, but at least a couple of more first downs / 3rd down conv. Image what Alex would've done with Hill's play calling? about the same thing, just a little better.

Alex has always been the more talented QB, duh; his problem was just his inability to adapt to the NFL, and make good throw/reads on a consistent basis. Hopefully all this time sitting on the bench learning has served him well, and it will continue to show going forward.

Yes Hill has always sucked! His non functioning noodle arm has done what for the team this year? Oh that’s right "he" won the first 3 games Sorry but the defense won those games. And then Hill was exposed for what he is and always has been. A 3rd string QB. Smith didn't need to use Hill's play calling because he is a more capable QB. It isn't just coincidence that Smith came in and magically the playbook opened up.

You said it exactly right,it just goes to show Hill's limitations in the playbook.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seemed when they were down big against ATL they didn't open it up like they did with Alex.

If Alex can continue at a good pace and the 49ers morph into at least a semi spread offense like last Sunday,not only will Gore run wild they could become deadly.
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
LISTEN! I agree that Alex Smith played well, but the Texans didnt game plan on him, and they were up by 21. I really hope that Alex will be successful, but remember that teams are not going to game plan for him (blitzes, stunts) and this may pose a problem for him. But regardless of who our starting qb is, I will support him! Lets go Alex Smith! (I cant believe I just said that)

damn the hillusionists just can't stop hating on Smith. now who is the one making excuses? the texans didn't gameplan for Smith? Are you serious? They are a professional football and should be able to deal with the back up QB(even if he is better than the starter) So when Hill is in the game the defenses are not blitzing? Listen Hill sucked and has always sucked. Smith came in and outplayed him by miles and is now the starter and you Hillusionists just can't let it go. the noodle arm was the reason for the poor offensive performances!

Really, Hill has always sucked?

Even though he faced a bad Texans D, and caught them off guard when we showed off his arm and the spread offense, I still give credit to Alex for playing that well. (the same way I gave credit to Hill when he came in against the Vikings last year for the half and played well)

After seeing what Alex can do, I have no doubt in my mind anymore who should be the starting QB. It's his job to lose now, just like it was Hill's. I think it's safe to assume that most fans now would want Smith to start after seeing what he did.

And it wasn't so much Hill that was the problem with the offense, it was the way he was being used, if he would've came out in that spread offense, I'm sure we would've moved the ball better, not as good as we did with Alex, but at least a couple of more first downs / 3rd down conv. Image what Alex would've done with Hill's play calling? about the same thing, just a little better.

Alex has always been the more talented QB, duh; his problem was just his inability to adapt to the NFL, and make good throw/reads on a consistent basis. Hopefully all this time sitting on the bench learning has served him well, and it will continue to show going forward.

Yes Hill has always sucked! His non functioning noodle arm has done what for the team this year? Oh that’s right "he" won the first 3 games Sorry but the defense won those games. And then Hill was exposed for what he is and always has been. A 3rd string QB. Smith didn't need to use Hill's play calling because he is a more capable QB. It isn't just coincidence that Smith came in and magically the playbook opened up.

You said it exactly right,it just goes to show Hill's limitations in the playbook.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seemed when they were down big against ATL they didn't open it up like they did with Alex.

If Alex can continue at a good pace and the 49ers morph into at least a semi spread offense like last Sunday,not only will Gore run wild they could become deadly.

Just thinking about the weapons Smith will have at his disposal.

VD is a beast, Crabtree is a beast, throw in Gore, and Morgan ... potential is definitely deadly!
I forgot who said it but it was funny.

Hill's playbook is 3 pages while Smith is 103 pages. lol

This is great though, we weren't doing enough with hill and we had to try something else and it will either work or not but it wont matter since hill wasn't doing enough neither.

• dj43

LOL.

He hurt his thumb on that block, IIRC.
Originally posted by dj43:

LOL.

He hurt his thumb on that block, IIRC.

Nah he hurt it making a tackle a few plays later when Morgan tipped up a pass to the defender.
I will admit I was one of those individuals who said Alex needs to go, draft a QB, play Hill one more year then let N. Davis and Colt McCoy battle it out for the starting job. I am not on the Alex band wagon yet but if he shows the same confidence, decision making ability, and maturity for the next 6 games he will begin to change my mind.

Granted Alex does have some players to throw to now VD no longer has hands made of bricks, he has NFL 1st string quality WR to throw to and he still has Frank. So no more excuses about not having players around him. In addition I think he has a coach who will support him and not throw him under a bus like Nolan did and I think Alex feels that way to.

This was mentioned by a poster on another board and thought it was a great observation. Raye used a lot of shotgun and “spread type” formations and which play to Alex’s strengths. IMO this was a good move by Raye and helped Alex a lot. It appears that Raye may understand Alex’s strengths and is willing to use them vs. previous OC that tried to force Alex to use there systems vs. building a system that worked for Alex.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by B_Carmine:
who are candidates in the NFL for comeback player of the year?

From the top of my head, I would say....

Tom Brady
Michael Vick
Brett Favre (lol)
Carson Palmer
Alex Smith

If Alex leads this team to the playoffs with admirable numbers he's an instant lock for the award. The NFL usually prefers to give this award to players who are finally starting to live up to their draft potential (Drew Brees, Garrison Hearst, Chad Pennington).

I've been pretty pist off though with the NFL for a very long time because Steve Young was snubbed in 1992 for the 'overrated' Randall Cunningham (a player who had seen the Pro-Bowl 3 times prior to earning the award). People couldn't overlook the fact that Steve had 'inherited' Joe Montana's previous weaponry, opposed to the actual crap Steve had gone through (as a first round pick) before getting to the 49ers.

LOL, but of course Tecmo Superbowl Bowl decided 80% of the Pro Bowl candidates that year, so what could you expect?

Tecmo Bowl was the sh!t back in the day!,especially after smoking a...... aw never mind!
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:

Not me,supported Smith from day one.

I am not a Hill hater but he never really moved the offense save for a few drives and I don't see him getting much better than what we've seen-definitely a gamer though.
Share 49ersWebzone