There are 172 users in the forums

who thinks we should stick with the spread offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

who thinks we should stick with the spread offense?

Some wise man once said , "you play with what you got." Okay, what we got is an OL that can't pass block, and is woeful in run blocking. Besides needing an all pro OL coach, we need to play with what we have: a qB who can zing it, is much wiser than 4 yrs ago(or 3), and alex has mobility. As already noted, look at the Colts. Manning is in shotgun half the time or more, but is under center also. That's where we should be, utilizing the best of what we have, and trying to cover over what we don't have...namely, an O line that cannot block. Right now we have staley, and that is it. Yes, we should be in the spread, which alex is very familiar with, and no, we shouldn't be playing what coach wants to see us play. Running O is fine and dandy with me, but first , you have to have guys who can block, and we don't. 2010 we can and better get some, and they better be starters. Until then, play to our strong suit...which is gonna be spread O with some snaps taken under center. 50/50 would be fine with me.
its better for everyone because our line is better at pass protection, and it will leave more room for gore to get more long runs, and between crabs, morgan, and VD catchin the ball, we will have a very good balanced O and a D that gets rest, we WILL beat the colts on sunday
we have to , to just keep it close in INDY !
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I think we need to slow down a bit here.

I liked what I saw from Smith as much as anyone else and I'm encouraged that he may have finally turned into something close to the player we thought we got in '05...

...but the spread O worked because we were down by 21 points and Houston called off the dogs. Yes, Smith played GREAT, but when a D has a chance to prepare for Smith in the Spread, its not going to come so easy.

If Smith is named the starter, I have no doubt that the O will open up quite a bit simply because he can hit passes down the field and hit intermediate out routes that Hill can't throw, but we will not go to the Spread.

The only thing I can see is that there will simply be more open space for recievers and maybe even for the run because Smith can challenge more of the field than Hill ever could...and that could happen with the same O that we have been running for weeks with Hill.

I agree with your post. I don't want to see the 49ers running a spread all the time, but I like the option of doing something other than the bump and grind. I like the fact that a defensive coordinator would have to deal with more formations and pass routes because A. Smith can throw more types and deeper passes. I think this would bode well for the running game, and the offensive line.

The key to me is can the offensive line hold up if we spread things out. I for one would like to see the slant used more, along with deeper routes.
I dont think our offense will change much, but there should be more 3 & 4 WR packages added to the playbook, but we are still gonna try and be a power running team, But I would hope our offense will attack more and be more creative in the passing game, yesterday was a positive sign that our offense is capable of being a dangerous offense.
The more I watch the replays the more strange it feels to see a QB on our team make those tight throws. NFL caliber intermediate and deep throws.
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Do any NFL teams consistently use the spread? I swear it is rarely used since it puts so much on the QB, and leaves very little protection...

The Pat's use it alot. Sometimes they use it almost the whole game.

Yeah, I think I read something about that too. I did not find the original article I remembered, but a quick google search found this little nugget, where I´ll take out the most interesting part:
LINK

Quote:
Of the team's 484 pass attempts this season, a whopping 359 have come out of the shotgun (74 percent).

Of the team's 865 total offensive plays, not including penalties, 421 have come out of the 'gun (49 percent).

So the Pats in 2007 used the shotgun on about three out of four pass plays and about half of the offensive snaps and broke several NFL offensive records with it. I also think they continue to use it a lot, with good success, I would think.

I´m not sure if our offensive staff can be bold enough to use the spread on an extended basis, but I think our team could do well with using the spread a lot, especially with Alex Smith and Michael Crabtree having been pretty good players in spread offenses..

Also remember, the Pats had a pretty good running game with the spread as well using a lot of draw plays. So the spread could even make Frank Gore happy
Originally posted by alanbeez22:
Do any NFL teams consistently use the spread? I swear it is rarely used since it puts so much on the QB, and leaves very little protection...

i wouldn't say consistently, but appropriately! for example... COLTS!

Best example is the NE Patriots.
Originally posted by kronik:

Best example is the NE Patriots.

or the PATRIOTS! haha
A good coach uses the system that fits his players. Smith is better out of the shot gun with a spread formation, so is Crabtree, and obviously VD.

Go with what you can use. Manning still hands off or throw to RB's, Gore and Coffee will get more yards from a spread offense if run right.

• Mex49
If that means throwing the ball down field to our WRs, then I am all for it.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I think we need to slow down a bit here.

I liked what I saw from Smith as much as anyone else and I'm encouraged that he may have finally turned into something close to the player we thought we got in '05...

...but the spread O worked because we were down by 21 points and Houston called off the dogs. Yes, Smith played GREAT, but when a D has a chance to prepare for Smith in the Spread, its not going to come so easy.

If Smith is named the starter, I have no doubt that the O will open up quite a bit simply because he can hit passes down the field and hit intermediate out routes that Hill can't throw, but we will not go to the Spread.

The only thing I can see is that there will simply be more open space for recievers and maybe even for the run because Smith can challenge more of the field than Hill ever could...and that could happen with the same O that we have been running for weeks with Hill.

Yeah, I agree and think we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves yet about the 2nd half spread offense. We should continue with using our same base but mix in the spread because Smith can make more down field throws and we won't see 8 men in the box as much. At the very least we won't see LB's stacked in the running lanes.

Running from the spread will give us a new dimension and will give teams more to game plan for when going up against our offense. The bottom line is Alex has the tools to keep teams guessing and more opportunities to throw the ball down field. Let's not forget that O coordinators will be looking at game film from Crabtree and realize we have a new outside threat that they have to account for.

I just hope Raye continues to put our playmakers in position to be successful. If he does that it won't really matter which formation we play from. I know Indy will have a week to game plan for Smith but he adds a whole new dimension and I'm excited to see what he does if named the starter for Sunday.
I was never an Alex Smith fan, but i'll give credit when credit is due. He put up 21 points in one half. Now i'm sure part of that was because the Texans were not preparing for Alex Smith or any sort of spread offense, since we never used it before, which probably gave him a slight advantage. But in the end, he did do well.

Any sort of offense is better than what we have so far. Gore is not 100%. Our line is our line. If Alex Smith can give us a chance to put some points up and not turn the ball over like he used to do all the time... i say we should keep it in for now.

We have some weapons, Crabtree, Davis, Morgan, Delanie Walker, Gore can catch too.

Spread offense > 3 runs and a cloud of dust
  • Mex49
Originally posted by bigmike55:
I was never an Alex Smith fan, but i'll give credit when credit is due. He put up 21 points in one half. Now i'm sure part of that was because the Texans were not preparing for Alex Smith or any sort of spread offense, since we never used it before, which probably gave him a slight advantage. But in the end, he did do well.

Any sort of offense is better than what we have so far. Gore is not 100%. Our line is our line. If Alex Smith can give us a chance to put some points up and not turn the ball over like he used to do all the time... i say we should keep it in for now.

We have some weapons, Crabtree, Davis, Morgan, Delanie Walker, Gore can catch too.

Spread offense > 3 runs and a cloud of dust

We should have 5-7 players touching the ball everygame. We have people waisting away on the sidelines. Spread'em b***h

eagles
Share 49ersWebzone