LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Smith decisive, even in interviews

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Before the draft in 2005 i was unsure if i wanted Rodgers or Smith, i didn´t mind either one but Smith skill set was exciting and 4 years later he finally plays like we dreamed of one time. I have always supported Smith but i do admit that i was ready to give up on him. The one thing he always lacked was decisiveness, even in interviews. Yesterday, he was decisive in everything and even showed alot more in the huddle then we have ever seen. He was even decisive in the post game interviews. Unlike before when we had to listen to alot of "emmm" ammm" from Smith. Lets hope and let Singletary pray that he keeps this up.
This was actually something I noticed during the camp QB battle this year (during an interview on NFL Network). Through speech and the way he played in pre-season (body language), I saw confidence in him. Like everyone else should be, I'm not ready to crown him yet, but these are exciting times!

There is no way I am going to sit through any more of those wounded duck punts this season!!
  • flow
  • Veteran
Dude, are you really from Iceland?

That's.So.Cool.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by doodle:
This was actually something I noticed during the camp QB battle this year (during an interview on NFL Network). Through speech and the way he played in pre-season (body language), I saw confidence in him. Like everyone else should be, I'm not ready to crown him yet, but these are exciting times!

There is no way I am going to sit through any more of those wounded duck punts this season!!

I thought the same thing during preseason. Just hearing him talk told me he finally got it. Then he lost out on the job to Hill and I thought well maybe he doesn't.

Only time will tell if he does or not. This almost has to be his last chance to make it work here.
This kid has matured & looks better. Hope it continues. I loved the hit he put on the Raider in the preseason that told me he has a different demeanor about him.
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by doodle:

I thought the same thing during preseason. Just hearing him talk told me he finally got it. Then he lost out on the job to Hill and I thought well maybe he doesn't.

Only time will tell if he does or not. This almost has to be his last chance to make it work here.

Agree on all points.
Originally posted by Crazy4Niners:
Dude, are you really from Iceland?

That's.So.Cool.

Yes, with what Alex has gone through the past few years: injury, death of a friend, thrown under the bus by Nolan, it sucks but some people need that swift kick in the ass (maybe more than once). He was even more vocal with the other guys yesterday, something we haven't really seen in the past.
Kneejerk reactions are abound on this board now.

"Smith is playing how you dreamed"?

Come on now. He definitely looked good but it was one half of football against a weak Texan D up 21 points.

I'm certainly happy with how he performed in the half but I'm not ready to wipe away 4 years of ineptitude over 1 half of football.

Let's give him one full game before people start going apes**t over him.
It's absurd how prematurely people formulate such strong opinions.
...Just hearing him talk told me he finally got it....Only time will tell if he does or not. This almost has to be his last chance to make it work here.

No way. He's shown that at minimum he is a reliable backup off the bench.
[ Edited by SanFranAddic on Oct 26, 2009 at 9:52 AM ]
Originally posted by tohara3:
This kid has matured & looks better. Hope it continues. I loved the hit he put on the Raider in the preseason that told me he has a different demeanor about him.

I agree, Smith has grown up. Let's see if he can continue what he started yesterday against the Colts

Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
...Just hearing him talk told me he finally got it....Only time will tell if he does or not. This almost has to be his last chance to make it work here.

No way. He's shown that at minimum he is a reliable backup off the bench.

minimum or maximum?
I won't jump on the bandwagon, since I effectively was never on it.

I did say on this board quite a few times, that I thought we just couldn't be effective with Hill's "game management" philosphy. He simply doesn't have the arm to be effective in the scheme that Raye is from, and we just don't have the offensive line
to grind it out Singletary style.

What I saw was formation changes that we couldn't do effectively with Hill at QB.
While 2 quarters do not make a season, at least we can add some formations that spread out the defense with Smith, and have a chance to be less predictable.

We can't count on Vernon Davis having the seam pass working all the time, but if you put 3 capable WRs and VD out there the defense has to think about it a little more.

I would like to see more of Morgan and also Brandon Jones with Smith at QB. Will we give up some turnovers, yes. But, at least there is some excitement in the passing game that we haven't seen in a while.

Yes, defenses will try to max out their pressure on the QB but that will open up
the running game.

To me the question is, are you willing to give up the possibility of a few more turnovers versus having an offense that is less predictable and more potent.

IMO that is a no brainer.
I actually didn't think he looked different at all this preseason, in terms of his play. He looked like the same ol' Smith to me. However, he did sound more confident, hungry than he did in years past, and from the TC reports it sounded like he had taken on more of a leadership position. Hopefully what we saw yesterday was that maturity and intangible stuff manifesting in his play and not just an aberration...
I hope Smith can succeed so we have a QB and dont have to spend any picks on one next year and can adress our O-Line and Lack of a pass rusher in the draft. I think if Alex starts next week we will have to throw to compete and Indy has never had a good pass D, but Manning is licking his chops at the 49ers secondary.
Share 49ersWebzone