There are 88 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Disapointed in our defense

I think our defense is this:

We are very good when we are playing run defense and the opposition runs the ball.

We are very good when we are playing pass defense and the opposition passes the ball.

We absolutely suck if the play call is not correct.
The most important series from our D was the last series and we kept them out of the endzone and gave our offense the ball back with 2 min to play! What else can you really expect from them! They gave our offense one last shot to tie or win and they couldn't do it! They committed penalties, lets alex get pressured and we turned the ball over
  • g0t0
  • Veteran
how can the defense play to win when the offense was going nowhere slowly... the second half showed that they responded as a team when the offense showed up
Originally posted by Cuphalffull:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Cuphalffull:
Explain to me why it is that when our O performs, our D has looked good. The reality is that our D does need some work but if an O goes 3 and out over and over, the other team is going to at a minimum win the field position battle capitalize at least once if they are not very good and more if they are good. If both your O and the D are bad, then you have the Rams.

Come on, while the D did not play great, they played much better in the second half giving the O the opportunity to score 3 tds and allowing only 3 points. One could easily argue that each playing well made the other look better. The O playing bad puts the other team in better field position and puts them in a better position to score. How is that a weak argument?

How? B/c players are human. There are psychological effects. When the offense is playing well, they get more motivated and play off emotion and often times, perform better, ala the second half. But the reverse is true too. When the defense is playing very well and producing lots of 3-and-outs and even scoring points, the offense can build on that, play with confidence and even start opening it up like what we saw with Raye/Smith yesterday. We had nothing to lose. In short, you proved my point. The offense and defense are mutually exclusive. But to IGNORE the defenses constant and predictable deficiences just b/c they are a little more talented then the offense is equally offensive. We have just as many holes on defense as we do on offense - the difference is that we've spent a truck load more money and draft picks on the defense and they have played more together as a collective group under ONE scheme longer now.

Where did I say that I was ignoring the constant and predictable deficiencies of our D? I have said that our defense has some problems, but I also believe that those problems are magnified by the fact that our O has been so anemic. The more a team is allowed the opportunity to exploit ones deficiencies, the more likely it will happen. The more 3 and out an offense has; the worse the field position, the more fatigued the D, and the more opportunities for the opposing O to capitalize. How can you not agree that when a defense regularly has its back against the wall because of the offense’s lack of production that is not totally on the D.?

I gotcha! I do agree esp. with your last line. I just feel that the flip-side is also true. I do agree that the defense is ahead of the offense but not by as much as most people think. When we give up long, sustained drives or gives up quick TD's it completely changes our offensive approach. And we have seen that against both Atlanta and Houston. If we are ever to turn into a dominant defense, we need to be able to produce QB pressures, stuff the run, get turnovers, score points, and make crucial stops (at the goal-line or after a muffed punt) and generate sacks and QB pressures to give the ball back to the offense and maintain our game-plan.

The bottom line is, whether their backs were against the wall or not, our defense gave up 21 points in the first half and we were forced to scrap our game plan and ended up changing QB's and our entire offense to boot.

We're talking about two sides of the same coin but in regards to most off the posts, I don't blame the defenses responsibilities on the offense though they do affect each other.
Can you really blame the defense? They have been on the field for 3/4 of the game because Hill could not get a first down. He was the king of 3 and out. Magically Smith comes in and performes 10X better than Hill and keeps the offense on the field and gives the defense time to rest and the play from the defense improved. the lack of passrush isn't due to that. We just lack a passrush
Our Defense is an awesome Defense and aside from TWO drives, played well.

HOU had a 15 yard drive was it after Battle muffed. Hmm.

Also, on a 3rd down, Patrick Willis had #20 in his sites and I can't believe the ref didn't called a hold on the man who "blocked" Willis. The dude basically tackled Willis. The should have only been 3 points.

Our defense gave up 17 points in the first half, which wasn't bad considering they were on the field the entire half.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Also, on a 3rd down, Patrick Willis had #20 in his sites and I can't believe the ref didn't called a hold on the man who "blocked" Willis. The dude basically tackled Willis. The should have only been 3 points.

Our defense gave up 17 points in the first half, which wasn't bad considering they were on the field the entire half.

Would have been less if our offense would have helped.

Who knows? Maybe the switch at QB is needed.

I just don't know anymore. Man, I see us heading down a sorry November road.

they got away with a lot of holding calls. I remember on one replay they showed the offensive lineman blocking Smith was holding on to him by his Shoulder pads and when Smith tried to get to the RB he got tackled. Yet no flag
Originally posted by backontop:

they got away with a lot of holding calls. I remember on one replay they showed the offensive lineman blocking Smith was holding on to him by his Shoulder pads and when Smith tried to get to the RB he got tackled. Yet no flag

And at the other end, Bruce gets called for offensive pass interference for nothing.

The first half was bad all around but our guys on defense played well.
Originally posted by backontop:

And at the other end, Bruce gets called for offensive pass interference for nothing.

The first half was bad all around but our guys on defense played well.

I agree but the team has been playing sloppy the past few weeks. Stupid mistakes and penalties.
the defense did not lose us this game. a muffed punt and mr. 3 and out did.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I think our D is pretty good. We still need to rush the QB better. I think they were getting tired in the first half because of all the 3 and outs by the O. This D gives the O a bunch of 3 and outs also, The O just needs to turn those into points and it makes the D play that much better.
[ Edited by pd24 on Oct 26, 2009 at 1:59 PM ]
Originally posted by pd24:
I think our D is pretty good. We still need to rush the QB better. I think they were getting in the first half because of all the 3 and outs by the O. This D gives the O a bunch of 3 and outs also, The O just needs to turn those into points and it makes the D play that much better.

Exactly.
  • dust-7
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by jreff22:
Your complete incompetence when it comes to this argument

What bothers me is YOUR "complete incompetence".

Alright. Ya happy now? That please you? You done your bit to avoid dealing with the issues I mentioned?

Because - don't be "incompetent", to use your word. WATCH THE GAME! Deal with the reality on the field.

That's what matters. Not some agenda.

You might want a #1 D. This ain't it. Face the reality!!

You might want a great offense led by a solid QB - that, we'll see.

You might want a stellar ST. Even the 'dynasty' years the 49ers often struggled on ST.

So.
  • dust-7
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by znk916:
Originally posted by pd24:
I think our D is pretty good. We still need to rush the QB better. I think they were getting in the first half because of all the 3 and outs by the O. This D gives the O a bunch of 3 and outs also, The O just needs to turn those into points and it makes the D play that much better.

Exactly.

Exactly wrong, you mean? That what you mean?

Some guys here just don't understand football. Football is a game. It's a team sport. The team wins or loses. If somebody isn't pulling their weight, other guys still have to hold to THEIR assignments - period . . . that's it . . end of story.

You two go into 4949, loaded down with you fine excuses, you won't get a friendly ear.

The defense has to play better. They've spotted opponents better than 20 points in two games, or if blame should be properly applied, in this last game you had a ST contribution.

It's not acceptible. No excuses. No finely worded exceptions.

THEY BLEW IT. They've got to play better.

And that's how you have to think about it. That's how the game is played.