LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 353 users in the forums

Will Vernon Davis Reach 1,000 Yards Receiving This Season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will Vernon Davis Reach 1,000 Yards Receiving This Season?

• krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
so has krizay admitted that he was wrong for wanting huff over davis yet ?

so has 90% of this board admitted they was wrong about how great Vernon Davis was going to be yet?

I was 100% accurate on what I said Vernon Davis was going to be. An average TE at best. Only difference between this average TE and others is the opportunities he's getting. Which if I recall correctly, I said that was the only thing that separated Witten, Gonzo & Gates.

You guys are the ones that said he was going to be this freakish athlete. He was supposed to be this beast. He was suppose to YAC it up. He was suppose to show his 4.3 speed. I have yet to see any of that. All I've seen is an average TE getting opportunities. He's finally making the most of his opportunities so good for him and us. But seriously..........

Anyway, my analysis was a whole lot closer than you guys. For the 1,000,000th time it wasn't just necessarily about Huff.

Vernon uses that 4.3 speed EVERY time they run him deep over the middle. His speed is why teams are now doubling him with a safety over the top.

It's not like he's getting abnormal opportunties. Vernon is not an average TE and it's only sour grapes that won't allow you to admit that. Vernon is a complete TE, of
which there are few in the NFL. He can block as well, if not better, then about any blovking TE in the league, and he is now a threat in the passing game.

You are crazy Kriz if you are still going to trumpet that "Davis is average or below" crap around here anymore. Vernon Davis is finally living up to expectations, and you are watching 3 years worth of proof of your argument vanish before your eye's.

Man up and swallow the truth. Vernon Davis is one of the elite TE's in the league. Period.

You don't break records when you're average. Vernon Davis does drop passes, but he also makes some very clutch plays. He alone saves a roster spot due to his blocking prowess.

Your continued critisizm if freakin pathetic.

They double him BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT TEAMS DO. The safety is always going to take the deepest guy. When Davis runs his seam route he is the only deep guy. Thus the Safety is going to take him. Not too mention our QB's don't look anybody off.

abnormal opportunities. 3rd most targets in the NFL amongst TE's.

I never said below. Way to add a lil spice to your post. He's not living up to you guys' expectations. Which I stated in an earlier post. He's just getting more opportunities.

You don't break records when you're average. If Vishante Scancoe had the extra 48 targets Vernon had. Would he be in rarefied air as well? I mean he's already right behind Vern. Is he special too?

Scancoe is good, he also has Favre throwing to him (who was playing MVP level most of the year). I'll agree on your point. Vernon hasn't had the YAC I expected him to have. I thought with his strength and speed he could overpower defenders and run. That hasn't been the case. Although, if hit hin stride, I think his YAC would improve, but there hasn't been a lot of that. Vernon hasn't been the beast we all expected.

I will say though, that fan expectations are rarely ever fair, or realized.

Thank you for commenting on my point instead of trying to side-step like almost everyone else.

This could have been squashed a loooooooooong time ago if people argued my point instead of side stepping.

you are 100% correct on the last line BTW.

so has 90% of this board admitted they was wrong about how great Vernon Davis was going to be yet?

I was 100% accurate on what I said Vernon Davis was going to be. An average TE at best. Only difference between this average TE and others is the opportunities he's getting. Which if I recall correctly, I said that was the only thing that separated Witten, Gonzo & Gates.

You guys are the ones that said he was going to be this freakish athlete. He was supposed to be this beast. He was suppose to YAC it up. He was suppose to show his 4.3 speed. I have yet to see any of that. All I've seen is an average TE getting opportunities. He's finally making the most of his opportunities so good for him and us. But seriously..........

Anyway, my analysis was a whole lot closer than you guys. For the 1,000,000th time it wasn't just necessarily about Huff.

Vernon uses that 4.3 speed EVERY time they run him deep over the middle. His speed is why teams are now doubling him with a safety over the top.

It's not like he's getting abnormal opportunties. Vernon is not an average TE and it's only sour grapes that won't allow you to admit that. Vernon is a complete TE, of
which there are few in the NFL. He can block as well, if not better, then about any blovking TE in the league, and he is now a threat in the passing game.

You are crazy Kriz if you are still going to trumpet that "Davis is average or below" crap around here anymore. Vernon Davis is finally living up to expectations, and you are watching 3 years worth of proof of your argument vanish before your eye's.

Man up and swallow the truth. Vernon Davis is one of the elite TE's in the league. Period.

You don't break records when you're average. Vernon Davis does drop passes, but he also makes some very clutch plays. He alone saves a roster spot due to his blocking prowess.

They double him BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT TEAMS DO. The safety is always going to take the deepest guy. When Davis runs his seam route he is the only deep guy. Thus the Safety is going to take him. Not too mention our QB's don't look anybody off.

I never said below. Way to add a lil spice to your post. He's not living up to you guys' expectations. Which I stated in an earlier post. He's just getting more opportunities.

You don't break records when you're average. If Vishante Scancoe had the extra 48 targets Vernon had. Would he be in rarefied air as well? I mean he's already right behind Vern. Is he special too?

Uh, the Eagles said that they specifically game planned around stopping Davis. Unfortantely, I cant find the link.

With that said, out of all the skilled positions (if you can call it that) I think the TE is the least explosive. No matter how good/great you are as a TE you will never be a player that can take it to the house anywhere on the field. The height and mass required by the position means you do not have players as quick and shifty as the RB or WR position. I've heard of a TE being converted to OT (Joe Staley), but I've never heard of a RB or WR doing so.
I love Davis for what he is, but the last word I would ever use to describe him is "elusive," "shifty" or "quick." The guy has tremendous straight line speed, but thats it. Therefore, as we are witnessing he is very valuable with the right OC and play calls as he needs the play design to open things up for him. Of course Davis can make plays that other TEs can't simply because of his size and speed. He deserves to be 1st team probowl.
I'll agree with krizay as well.

Davis hasn't been the dynamic athlete that we all thought he'd be. He's not going to "revolutionize" the TE position like he professed. He gets a lot of looks and yes, he makes the most of them but he has suspect hands and I believe he also is a leader in the league in penalties.

He can improve his hands and lower the number of penalties committed, but he'll NEVER live up to the hype and draft status that we brought into.

-9fA
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Uh, the Eagles said that they specifically game planned around stopping Davis. Unfortantely, I cant find the link.

With that said, out of all the skilled positions (if you can call it that) I think the TE is the least explosive. No matter how good/great you are as a TE you will never be a player that can take it to the house anywhere on the field. The height and mass required by the position means you do not have players as quick and shifty as the RB or WR position. I've heard of a TE being converted to OT (Joe Staley), but I've never heard of a RB or WR doing so.
I love Davis for what he is, but the last word I would ever use to describe him is "elusive," "shifty" or "quick." The guy has tremendous straight line speed, but thats it. Therefore, as we are witnessing he is very valuable with the right OC and play calls as he needs the play design to open things up for him. Of course Davis can make plays that other TEs can't simply because of his size and speed. He deserves to be 1st team probowl.

Quote:

Which was why I said he'd never be what people thought they were going to get. Which is why I said no TE should ever go that high in the draft.

Quote:
I love Davis for what he is, but the last word I would ever use to describe him is "elusive," "shifty" or "quick." The guy has tremendous straight line speed, but thats it. Therefore, as we are witnessing he is very valuable with the right OC and play calls as he needs the play design to open things up for him. Of course Davis can make plays that other TEs can't simply because of his size and speed. He deserves to be 1st team probowl

Atleast you can see him for what he is. and yes his numbers does suggest he start in the pro bowl.
CLICK CLACK!
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Except for the lack of broken tackles, Davis is exactly what I thought he would be when we drafted him. He's the best tight end in the league.
hopfully they will get him the ball early and often enough that he not only gets 1000 also break the TE TD record !
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Davis hasn't been the dynamic athlete that we all thought he'd be. He's not going to "revolutionize" the TE position like he professed. He gets a lot of looks and yes, he makes the most of them but he has suspect hands and I believe he also is a leader in the league in penalties.

He can improve his hands and lower the number of penalties committed, but he'll NEVER live up to the hype and draft status that we brought into.

-9fA

Buy guess what? We all know everything you posted. On top of that, we fans do that projecting crap EVERY year come draft time. Kizay said Huff was going to be the next Ronnie Lott like safety. That was obviously wrong 4 years later as well, but you don't see people going on tirades trying to prove themselves right bringing it up to him every time the guys name is mentioned, do you?
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Vernon would have 2000 yards receiving and 20 touchdowns if he was playing for the Colts.

Vernon > Dallas Clark

The only tight end that may be better than Vernon is Gates.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
but he'll NEVER live up to the hype and draft status that we brought into.

-9fA

10 touchdowns = living up to the hype.

Then why didn't they double him in the 1st 1/2 the season?

And YES you have said Vernon is below average, not THIS year, cause you'd have been laughed off the board, but you have stated Vernon is below averge MANY MANY times and you got disrespectful when people said his lack of production was from not being used right.

Hmmm someone uses him right and he blows up just like MOST have argued to you previously.........
[ Edited by WINiner on Dec 30, 2009 at 9:17 AM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran

-9fA

Buy guess what? We all know everything you posted. On top of that, we fans do that projecting crap EVERY year come draft time. Kizay said Huff was going to be the next Ronnie Lott like safety. That was obviously wrong 4 years later as well, but you don't see people going on tirades trying to prove themselves right bringing it up to him every time the guys name is mentioned, do you?

1st of all I never said Ronnie Lott. I may have mention something about Ed Reed but not Ronnie Lott. (though wrong either way) but again it wasn't about Huff.

2nd. If you see what started all of this. It was indeed a post about me and Michael Huff.

3rd. I never start any of these "tirades". I get called out and defend my position.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Then why didn't they double him in the 1st 1/2 the season?

And YES you have said Vernon is below average, not THIS year, cause you'd have been laughed off the board, but you have stated Vernon is below averge MANY MANY times and you got disrespectful when people said his lack of production was from not being used right.

Hmmm someone uses him right and he blows up just like MOST have argued to you previously.........

well prior to this year you would have to admit that he was below average correct?

hmmm he gets the ball thrown him like Gates, Gonzo and Witten and he puts up numbers just like I argued to MOST on this board previously.

-9fA

1st of all I never said Ronnie Lott. I may have mention something about Ed Reed but not Ronnie Lott. (though wrong either way) but again it wasn't about Huff.

2nd. If you see what started all of this. It was indeed a post about me and Michael Huff.

3rd. I never start any of these "tirades". I get called out and defend my position.

You used Lott's name more then once when projecting Huffs talent, you know it and I know it, so stop the coverup. And you make comments to entice a reaction post that allows you to be called out and defend your opinion. Very MD like in that manner. Everyone on this board thats been here since that draft has seen multiple one two or three word psosts with that dumb monkey in Davis threads, and then witnessed the massive derailing of the thread as a result of said post....don't try to play innocent.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crzy:
but he'll NEVER live up to the hype and draft status that we brought into.

-9fA

10 touchdowns = living up to the hype.

Seriously, I really don't understand what hype you are talking about? He has a chance to break the single season record for any tightend in history at scoring touchdowns. He leads our team in receptions, yards and touchdowns. He is starting in the probowl above some big names.

What did you expect him to do, s**t cheerleaders and fly to the endzone?
[ Edited by Chief on Dec 30, 2009 at 9:27 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone