LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 204 users in the forums

Will Vernon Davis Reach 1,000 Yards Receiving This Season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will Vernon Davis Reach 1,000 Yards Receiving This Season?

Originally posted by SFBlue:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Vernon has not lived up to many people's expectations yet, primarily because he was a slow starter. However, if he puts together another year next year like this one, he'll be an elite TE, IMO - PARTICULARLY when he starts breaking tackles.

I also do not agree with the "opportunities" argument, as "opportunities" are ofttimes made by the player. That said, one of Krizay's points is a good one: many on this site (including myself) pumped Vernon as the second coming. Our expectations were unrealistic.

That's what I agree with krizay on.

-9fA

That should be easy for many people to agree with, but how bold of a prediction was that? Players not living up to us fan's stratospheric expectations is pretty common. I too expected more YAC. A bit more explosiveness. But at the same time, most never expected him to be the blocker he has become, so that's been a nice surprise. I think Vernon the playmaker is still waiting to fully come out. As it is now, he is playing at a pro bowl level, so I'll take it. And I know it's not about Huff anymore Krizay, but I'm sure glad we chose Vernon over him

I wouldn't put that on the fans. Thats how Davis was advertised. Wasn't it Nolan who said, " We didnt get the best TE in the draft, we got the best WR." And wasn't it Davis who came in and said, "I want to revolutionize the TE position."? Add that to the around the clock coverage of his record breaking combine and college highlight reel, I think fans we're perfectly within their rights to expect him to be a TE on a level we've never seen. I was expecting TO type dominance. I was expecting some that could catch the ball anywhere on the field and take it to the house. THAT IS NOT DAVIS.

Was he worth the number 6th pick? That all depends on your offense. I would say for a guy like Martz, absolutely not! For a guy like Jimmy, you bet ya. Consider the fact that he has the second most passing TDs in the whole FRICKEN NFL. That is amazing. I will say it again, the whole NFL. Deshaun Jackson the "most explosive player in football" has 10. If we drafted his class over again, he would probably go top five. I think the only thing that give people pause about Davis is what will we see in 2010 and beyond?
^^

-9fA
I believe this is just a glimpse of what Vernon Davis is capable of doing. He isn't even close to reaching his full potential. I'm very excited about the possibilities for this offense in general as well as for Vernon!
[ Edited by PTulini on Dec 30, 2009 at 11:33 AM ]
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
so has krizay admitted that he was wrong for wanting huff over davis yet ?

so has 90% of this board admitted they was wrong about how great Vernon Davis was going to be yet?

I was 100% accurate on what I said Vernon Davis was going to be. An average TE at best. Only difference between this average TE and others is the opportunities he's getting. Which if I recall correctly, I said that was the only thing that separated Witten, Gonzo & Gates.

You guys are the ones that said he was going to be this freakish athlete. He was supposed to be this beast. He was suppose to YAC it up. He was suppose to show his 4.3 speed. I have yet to see any of that. All I've seen is an average TE getting opportunities. He's finally making the most of his opportunities so good for him and us. But seriously..........

Anyway, my analysis was a whole lot closer than you guys. For the 1,000,000th time it wasn't just necessarily about Huff.

LOL at KRIZAY...
Originally posted by SFBlue:
Stop arguing with Krizay. Vernon Davis is not good and neither is Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzalez. They simply get the ball thrown their way more often than the other TE's in the league... DUH!

Great argument by KRIZAY...
That would be nice but I would like him to break Gate's record for the season so I can shut these fairweather Charger fans up
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
He's already have a 1000 if just caught some of those dropped passes.
Originally posted by susweel:
He's already have a 1000 if just caught some of those dropped passes.

So many missed opportunities!
^^ yea 1000 yards and 18 TDs if he caught most if those drops

Originally posted by Snider8706:

He catches the ball awkwardly. Ever notice no matter how on the money the ball is, he always jumps up and moves his legs in a bicycle motion.
Originally posted by jones49:

He catches the ball awkwardly. Ever notice no matter how on the money the ball is, he always jumps up and moves his legs in a bicycle motion.

Yea like he's trying to look cool for the highlights. I still can't believe those two endzone drops vs Seattle.

Yea like he's trying to look cool for the highlights. I still can't believe those two endzone drops vs Seattle.

Like hes climing up a small wall to catch a ball already inhis hands. Of course hes gonna drop some balls doing that s**t. hes come a long way but hands and finishing catches is what he has to work on in the offseason.

Like hes climing up a small wall to catch a ball already inhis hands. Of course hes gonna drop some balls doing that s**t. hes come a long way but hands and finishing catches is what he has to work on in the offseason.

yea I'm glad of his progress and I want his pro bowl jersey.....but he needs to spend a lot of time in front of the football throwing machine this offseason. Or work with a recievers coach.

Like this???
Share 49ersWebzone