LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

Smith Scramble

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 49erfourlife
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by skaw:
Alex looks different in his scrambling ability and strategy now than he did 2 years ago. Take, for example, his scramble for a TD vs Seattle in 2006 (skip to 0:50 of this video). You will notice that his 'bootleg' scramble actually takes him back 5 further yards than he needs to go and lets him barely beat the DB. If you look at film from 2006, you will notice that when he is forced out of the pocket to either left or right side, he doesn't move sideways, he actually moves backwards.

This past Sunday, although I did not see the same speed he is probably capable of, I noticed his pocket movement and awareness was markedly improved and that when he scrambled outside the pocket, he actually moved to the right, rather than float right but backwards.

I think if he spends some time with the running backs coach, his threat to run with the ball will add another element that this offense can utilize down the line. Maybe a chat with Steve Young wouldn't hurt either. After all, if Alex can do this then the sky is the limit!

Really? Have him work with RB coach? Seriously? How old are you 12 ?
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Alex looks different in his scrambling ability and strategy now than he did 2 years ago. Take, for example, his scramble for a TD vs Seattle in 2006 (skip to 0:50 of this video). You will notice that his 'bootleg' scramble actually takes him back 5 further yards than he needs to go and lets him barely beat the DB. If you look at film from 2006, you will notice that when he is forced out of the pocket to either left or right side, he doesn't move sideways, he actually moves backwards.

This past Sunday, although I did not see the same speed he is probably capable of, I noticed his pocket movement and awareness was markedly improved and that when he scrambled outside the pocket, he actually moved to the right, rather than float right but backwards.

I think if he spends some time with the running backs coach, his threat to run with the ball will add another element that this offense can utilize down the line. Maybe a chat with Steve Young wouldn't hurt either. After all, if Alex can do this then the sky is the limit!

I can't wait to hear Steve's take on Alex.

I fully expect some backpedalling. Because I thought that Steve unduly criticized Alex. Especially after what Steve had gone through right up through that season. His career is not all that remarkably different that Alex's.

Well except for the awards and Championships.

~Ceadder

Thanks Ceadder.. I'm glad you have been waiting to see my take on Alex...

One word... Freakinawesome
Well our qb won't be dead center in the pocket any more, where rushers know exactly were to go to get a sack.

Smith can move left or right, essentially shifting the pocket to buy more time. Threat to run an effective bootleg or throwing on the run cause defenders to be not so aggressive and take an unnecessary late hit to the qb penalty. These are some of advantage a mobile qb gives you...

I don't think Smith's mobility is on Steve Young's level but it's very effective. I'm happy with anticipation with Smith starting again, because unlike Hill, I know since we drafted him, Smith has all the physical talent and ability to play and take advantage of the qb position, that was never a question for me. It's how he is mentally and how he deal with the position that was in question until the last game. It seems he may have answered it in a good way the last half of Houston. Hope he continued like so for the sake of the team.

GOOO! NINERS!
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 28, 2009 at 8:10 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erfourlife:

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Alex needs to focus on being a QB before he spends any time developing other skills.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Well our qb won't be dead center in the pocket any more, where rushers know exactly were to go to get a sack.

Smith can move left or right, essentially shifting the pocket to buy more time. Threat to run an effective bootleg or throwing on the run cause defenders to be not so aggressive and take an unnecessary late hit to the qb penalty. These are some of advantage a mobile qb gives you...

I don't think Smith's mobility is on Steve Young's level but it's very effective. I'm happy with anticipation with Smith starting again, because unlike Hill, I know since we drafted him, Smith has all the physical talent and ability to play and take advantage of the qb position, that was never a question for me. It's how he is mentally and how he deal with the position that was in question until the last game. It seems he may have answered it in a good way the last half of Houston. Hope he continued like so for the sake of the team.

GOOO! NINERS!

Originally posted by 49erfourlife:

Come on...QBs are working with RB coaches all around the league these days.
Smith snuggled up to Rathman.

Rathman, 'I played with Steve Young, you're no Steve Young. Move on young man.'
Sounds like a dennys breakfast
I thought it was a breakfast item at Denny's or IHOP.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I was thinking he looked slower than normal also.. but he did avoid about 3-5 sacks once he came into the game. And he didnt step up into sacks like hill does.

Aren't QBs supposed to run a 4.0?

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by jta854:
He looked slow on that one play. Didn't he run a 4.7?

Yes around that. That's not terribly slow for a QB. Some run like 4.9, 5.0, or even 5.1. It's certainly not in Michael Vick territory. It's also not like Vince Young. But it's not terribly slow for a 6'4" QB. There are much more immobile QB's than Alex Smith.

Yeah...and there name is Hill!
I was just thinking about this same thing. And then it dawned on me, Smith is one of the most mobile starting QBs in the NFL. He is definitely Top 5 which adds a whole new option to this offense. Go Alex!
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Sounds like a dennys breakfast

-9fA
The Smith Scramble
Originally posted by 49ers18:
i was wondering if anyone had a clip of the play where Smith took the snap and evaded a couple of defenders then ran for the first down...i want to see it again...it isn't in any of the Highlights that i have seen

o and Smith's mobility is the reason that i have always liked him more then Hill....Smith can escape the pressure...Hill can not

i agree hill is a tortoise with noodles for arms
Share 49ersWebzone