LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 322 users in the forums

Do we have an identity crisis?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do we have an identity crisis?

I'm really interested in which way we go. Singletary has said that we want to be a power running team but with the offensive line issues and our success of passing the ball with Alex Smith in the 2nd half, I would like to know if we have an identity crisis in our hands and if we should change our style?

Your thoughts?
Yes. We should've changed our identity no matter what happened in the 2nd half today. If there is one thing we are NOT is a power running team.
Yeah, we played Martz style football like from last year and almost came back from 21-0, and our offense looked like it did last year before teams figured out Hill. Now we have a QB who can make all the throws, and we have 3 or 4 dangerous weapons in the passing game. Gore is a dangerous weapon but he needs room to operate, he doesn't get it vs 8 man boxes. Time to use him like Philly used Brian Westbrook. We don't have the offensive line to get 3 or 4 yards when we need to. Larry Allen isn't walking through that door.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Yes. We should've changed our identity no matter what happened in the 2nd half today. If there is one thing we are NOT is a power running team.

It's gonna be very interesting to see what Coach Singletary decide on doing for next week's game. He seems to be open to changing his styles or thinking just to win which I like. He has not been stubborn like I thought he would of been.
Well the passing game has been our franchise's strong point for like 40 years, so might as well continue the tradition.
Ya I'm in the house.

People just love to talk about me lately.
[ Edited by IdentityCrisis on Oct 25, 2009 at 10:30 PM ]
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Singletary is going to insist on remaining a power running team. He seems pretty stubborn about hitting people in the mouth.
Originally posted by crzy:
Singletary is going to insist on remaining a power running team. He seems pretty stubborn about hitting people in the mouth.

Vernon Davis can stiff arm the opposing CB's and safetys in the mouth on his way to the endzone
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Ya I'm in the house.

People just love to talk about me lately.

lol good one!
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Vernon Davis can stiff arm the opposing CB's and safetys in the mouth on his way to the endzone

Don't think so. Singletary is stubborn, but not stupid. If he was as stubborn as everyone thinks, he would've thrown Hill out there in the 2nd half of today's game. I mean, Hill basically helped Singletary land the job to begin with right? I'm sure he was rooting for Hill, but he did what was best for the team and benched his sorry ass. I think Singletary is going to do whatever it takes to win, even if that means pass the ball.

Originally posted by B650:

Don't think so. Singletary is stubborn, but not stupid. If he was as stubborn as everyone thinks, he would've thrown Hill out there in the 2nd half of today's game. I mean, Hill basically helped Singletary land the job to begin with right? I'm sure he was rooting for Hill, but he did what was best for the team and benched his sorry ass. I think Singletary is going to do whatever it takes to win, even if that means pass the ball.

after the game singletary seemed to love michael crabtree and also said we have playmakers and we have to get the ball to them

to me sounds like he may want to get it to ours receivers more
Originally posted by B650:

I agree with you bro all those situations would of not happen if he was stubborn but it showed that he is willing to do just about anything to win the game. It's going to be interesting what they decide to do next week.

I CAN'T WAIT!
If by an identity crisis you mean Singletary, who has had a vision of an offense in which he wants to run the ball until Gore is turned into a meatball and wants to play safe and never throw interceptions and do little shotgun and wear an opponent down physically and have a ball control team with a ball control quarterback with a bend but don't break defense and a solid special teams...

all which former number one overall draft pick Alex Smith who came from a spread offense at Utah just annihilated by throwing for over 200 yards in a single half of football and threw three touchdowns to a hungry group of receivers who seem very happy about the spread offense where they now have an opportunity to make plays with budding stars at WR in Crabtree and Morgan and Davis who almost all had career days in a single half of throwing the football in an exiting spread offense which scores points instead of going three n out all the time?

If that's what you mean by "identity crisis," then ya. Ya, we've got that alright.
You have to be able to pass the ball. You can't win 6 - 3 with crushing Defense and a running game like Singletary wants. Our D. is not that good. And Frank Gore is injured a lot.

WE HAVE TO BE ABLE TO PASS THE BALL. Alex gives us our best chance to do that.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 25, 2009 at 10:48 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone