There are 297 users in the forums

What we really need is a OC for the future

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This year, ehh, all of a suden is totally 50-50 if we make the playoffs. I think it will most likely by decided if we can beat arizona on Monday night.

But all of a sudden the future looks good. We have a well coached, well motivated, young and tallented defense. We have multiple potential stars on the offense (Crabtree, Gore, VD) to give the ball too. Our special teams should not be bad enough to lose us games (alothough you could argue that it has now twice this season).

Sure over the offseason if we picked up a viable right takle, or a left takle and shift Staley back to the left our offense would be instantly better. Sure a Quarterback in the first round would be great for down the road (depending on how Alex Smith does the rest of the season, of coarse) and a bonafide pass rusher would instantly turn our good but not great defense into a top 5 dominating defense. But what we need most is a good OC.

More and more, the NFL is becoming so much to do about scheming. You really think Orton is any individually better than he was in Chicago? It's all McDaniels and the scheme he brought with him from NE. The way we rack up delay of games, illigal formations and burn timeouts early in quarters can be attributed to a questionably coached offense. We look lost in the no huddle and a two minute offense. Missed blocking assignments and incorect routes are also all simptoms of a poorly coached offense.

Also, I can't help but notice the play calling won't change when it isn't working until we are down three scores. We all know Frank Gore is a very good maybe great runner, but even he can't run with no one blocking. Try maybe passing in the first quarter on a first down or two to open up the run. Our Oline just really isnt good enough to set up the "run to set up the pass" offense that we envision our offense being.

Our head coach gets players to care and will not tollerate any of the BS that goes on in so many lockerrooms around the NFL, but a Xs and Os genious he is not, especially on offense. We need someone who implement a good scheme with the appropriate blend of hard running, mid range passing and maybe even the occational long pass or trick play.

Jimmy Raye was a safe pick for OC, but we really have to see if we can pick up a bonafideNFL cordinator this offseason.
I really think Tom Rathman & Mike Johnson will be our next OC.
Originally posted by tohara3:

I think its been speculated that Mike Johnson is our OC in training. I think Raye called a great game in the second half. He and Singletary just need to find what identity best fits our personnel.
Originally posted by global_nomad:

I think its been speculated that Mike Johnson is our OC in training. I think Raye called a great game in the second half. He and Singletary just need to find what identity best fits our personnel.

if mike johnson is the guy responsible for smith's improved mechanics, he would be a great o-coordinator candidate
part of the reason we hired raye was that he would provide some continuity

This.

Originally posted by hofer36:

if mike johnson is the guy responsible for smith's improved mechanics, he would be a great o-coordinator candidate

he still lock that left f**king leg! that's why his passes sail high a bit. goddam put a locked brace on that thing

Agree, suspect Raye is OC next season as well then turns over the reigns to one of these two guys probably Johnson and make Rathman Asst. OC with pay raise.
Originally posted by B_Carmine:

he still lock that left f**king leg! that's why his passes sail high a bit. goddam put a locked brace on that thing

he still locks it, but looks way better. I only noticed 3 maybe 4 high passes, two of them crabtree grabbed like it was routine. (I think alex just needed wr's who would catch the ball as long as you placed it in their general area, and crabtree seems to do taht, and VD is starting to. (i know I'll get hate for this) Zeigler (I before E, except after Z :) ) would be doing the same thing if he was on the field, man had sticky hands.

Way to go alex, I'm glad I can say Free Alex freely now without being called a homer.

Wasn't he the QB coach in ATL when Vick actually started to look like a QB?

yes, it was a great 2nd half of playcalling. Problem is, we wait until we NEED to call plays to do it! Be proactive, not reactive!!!
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
yes, it was a great 2nd half of playcalling. Problem is, we wait until we NEED to call plays to do it! Be proactive, not reactive!!!

Reactive? Hill can't play the spread offense.

Looks more to me like calling plays that a player can succeed at.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

I was really impressesd with how the offence was opened up. Maybe he never thought Hill's arm could handle it?
so if the reason we didn't run an offense like we did in the 2nd half is because we knew our QB couldn't do it, then the coaching staff is more retarded than I gave them credit for. WHy would you start/play a QB that you know cannot succeed in the NFL?? Our offense has been one of the worst in the league, make a change! It's about time they gave smith a chance.
actually after the 1st td drive, they came out and did the same raye style of playcalling...run run pass. i was livid cause they went back to that. luckily after that 3 & out they decided to open it up. when u start using 3, 4, & 5 wide the play calling will look phenomenal when the qb finds the open receiver. so i say it was not great playcallin but just opening up the playbook and having the players execute it. that 4th down play should have been called better.

i still think raye is a gutless play caller. u dont keep running inside against a run blitz or 9 in the box no matter what. use some creativity. we are all essentially arm chair qbs. but if we know enuf to say that x, y, and z shoudl be changed, the dam OC should know that as well.

raye blows. this mike johnson seems intruiging however.
Share 49ersWebzone