There are 229 users in the forums

Props to Jimmy Raye for 2nd half play calling

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
I would love to know the story behind the completely changed offensive strategy after Smith entered the game.

Has that been in the book all along?

Did Raye truly have that little confidence in Hill's arm?

?????

Yeah I hope one of the Matts ask Sing or Raye about this tomorrow. And they better not give the "We were behind in this game" crap because if that was the case, we woulda done that last week when the Falcons were ripping us a new one
Originally posted by niners94:
What took him so long? Dumb as hell to wait until the second half to open it up.

Singletary stubbornly stuck with a scrub of a QB who can't throw anything longer than a 15yard pass with any accuracy or any route that requires actual heat on the throw (IE the slot).

Maybe this was a fluke with Smith (I don't think so but could be) the one thing this game should prove once and for all is Shaun Hill is the least talented QB on the Roster - Something happens to Alex I have more faith in Nate Davis talent and ability to make plays than that scrub - he was undrafted for a reason and that reason has been front and center for the first 5 and half games. Seneca Wallace the back up in Seattle who btw has a much worse line than ours has a better passer rating in the 3 games he has played in!!
I dont know if i give him props, he had no choice but start throwing the ball since they were getting killed. MY question is why cant he call those plays when we are not behind all the time?
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
I dont know if i give him props, he had no choice but start throwing the ball since they were getting killed. MY question is why cant he call those plays when we are not behind all the time?

Well if Smith starts from now on, and Crabtree showing to be promising, maybe Raye will take a hint.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
no props from me. What else are you gonna do when you're down 21-0?

agree.

i coach youth football, and if your down 2 scores you gotta open it up. I do like the run first approach, then open up the pass, but it doesnt work when you wanna run and your oline does NOT open any holes, and when you pass your getting pressure from 3-4 lineman!!! I think what we did 2nd half was perfect, Smith looked good and he is comfortable with 3-4 recievers running routes, then it takes pressure of your oline b.c you wont see so much blitz
Smith allowed Raye to open up the playbook. The first half felt like when Hossler was OC. But lets not forget that the OL has to get better
Originally posted by global_nomad:
I'm astonished its 7 hours after a Niner loss and I haven't seen one hate thread against Jimmy Raye yet. Whether it have been Sing's or Raye's decision to put Smith in there, I think Raye really adjusted well to Smith's strengths.

Although I don't think the "spread" will be as affective when a team has a week to prepare against it, I think Smith showed he is healthy and I liked the production our receivers showed.

Everyone is acting like Davis already has his invitation to the Pro Bowl in hand, but this is nothing new to Raye who got a young Tony Gonzales to produce very well and blossom as the OC of the chiefs.

Lastly, if I was Singletary I would use a page of the Billicheat/Mangeious playbook and not announce the starter next week publicly all week. Then the Colts would have to prepare for both a power running and spread offense. Don't tip your hand Singletary.

im with you on that one
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
no props from me. What else are you gonna do when you're down 21-0?

agree.

i coach youth football, and if your down 2 scores you gotta open it up. I do like the run first approach, then open up the pass, but it doesnt work when you wanna run and your oline does NOT open any holes, and when you pass your getting pressure from 3-4 lineman!!! I think what we did 2nd half was perfect, Smith looked good and he is comfortable with 3-4 recievers running routes, then it takes pressure of your oline b.c you wont see so much blitz

i agree with both of you but it just seemed to me like there were plays being run that weren't there with Hill. I can also see that maybe those plays were in there for hill but he simply couldn't make the throws.
I'm astonished its 7 hours after a Niner loss and I haven't seen one hate thread against Jimmy Raye yet. Whether it have been Sing's or Raye's decision to put Smith in there, I think Raye really adjusted well to Smith's strengths.

Although I don't think the "spread" will be as affective when a team has a week to prepare against it, I think Smith showed he is healthy and I liked the production our receivers showed.

Everyone is acting like Davis already has his invitation to the Pro Bowl in hand, but this is nothing new to Raye who got a young Tony Gonzales to produce very well and blossom as the OC of the chiefs.

Lastly, if I was Singletary I would use a page of the Billicheat/Mangeious playbook and not announce the starter next week publicly all week. Then the Colts would have to prepare for both a power running and spread offense. Don't tip your hand Singletary.

I think this really speaks to how limited Raye and Singletary think Hill's abilities are. When Hill was in there, we rarely ran 3 WR sets. It was mostly 1 or 2 WR sets with 1 or 2 TEs. When Alex comes in, we ran multiple 4 WR sets. And this wasn't even because we were down because even 2 weeks ago against ATL when we were down by more than 3 TDs, we didn't run 4 WR sets. Raye believes Alex can deliver the ball to WRs and does not need as much protection as Hill does as with 4 WR sets, you only have 5 lineman and a RB back there to pass protect.
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:

I think this really speaks to how limited Raye and Singletary think Hill's abilities are. When Hill was in there, we rarely ran 3 WR sets. It was mostly 1 or 2 WR sets with 1 or 2 TEs. When Alex comes in, we ran multiple 4 WR sets. And this wasn't even because we were down because even 2 weeks ago against ATL when we were down by more than 3 TDs, we didn't run 4 WR sets. Raye believes Alex can deliver the ball to WRs and does not need as much protection as Hill does as with 4 WR sets, you only have 5 lineman and a RB back there to pass protect.

Good point we need to carry this over to the Colts game baby!

Playcalling was never the issue. We passed a lot in the first half. If you ask me, we passed too much (gore must not be 100%).

The difference in the second half is that Alex would throw to the deep reciever. Hill would ALWAYS hit the checkdown. Hill made the playcalling look bad.
I give him props and not just for the play calling. Im giving him props because he is the first OC that actually realized what we drafted in 2005. It took the 49ers 4 seasons and 6 games to realize that we drafted a shotgun spread offense QB. Smith in college did nothing but the spread offense from the shotgun. Now I know we didn't have the talent when we drafted him like we do now but we put him in his comfort zone today and he exploded.

I know im drinking the coolaid right now but we moved the ball in the second half like the colts and patriots move the ball. Sure, we don't have a 4 wide offensive alignment, but whats the difference if VD, Bruce, Morgan and Crabtree are all on the field. With those 4 guys on on the field from the shotgun its just as good as any 4 wide alignment.

I can only hope that jimmy keeps in mind what he has in Alex and the play calling doesn't stray to far from it... I know that frank is still the key to this offense but now we know that Alex can move the ball through the air.
Where has this thread been? Oh yeah this is Niner Talk, never mind...
But, when the team needed calls, Raye has come through. One criminally overlooked call was the 4th and short play-action pass to Vernon against Atlanta.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Jimmy sucks.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Chief:
Jimmy sucks.

Also, maybe if he called some good plays from the start we would of never been down by 21.
Share 49ersWebzone