There are 85 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is it just me or does this feel like a Win?

Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:
Shawn Hill isn't that bad idk why so many people are making it seem as if he is terrible at the qb position. He is a good, legit quarterback who doesn't make very mistakes. I honestly believe that if Singletary gave him the opportunity to run more pass plays in the beginning of the game rather than when we need it, he could have shown more of his short throw accuracy. He can deliver the bomb, but not as well as we would hope. But those pass plays will help open up our running game instead of doing our regular run, run, pass, and then punt. If the 49ers learn how to get momentum early in the game, we should have no problems progressing through the season.

• Antix
  • Veteran
I've always felt what Smith needed was to start a season on the bench. I always felt he'd be the type of guy that lights it up coming in off the bench in the middle of the season.

Indy is a good test for him. He plays well there and we might have it figured out. I will praying to the football gods quite heavily this week.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Shawn Hill isn't that bad idk why so many people are making it seem as if he is terrible at the qb position. He is a good, legit quarterback who doesn't make very mistakes. I honestly believe that if Singletary gave him the opportunity to run more pass plays in the beginning of the game rather than when we need it, he could have shown more of his short throw accuracy. He can deliver the bomb, but not as well as we would hope. But those pass plays will help open up our running game instead of doing our regular run, run, pass, and then punt. If the 49ers learn how to get momentum early in the game, we should have no problems progressing through the season.

Steve Hill, Shaun Hill's brother? Hello and welcome to the forum. You'll fit right in with all the other Hillusionists.
It's a win if ALEX is back and rebuilding his career from the dead. If he can become our Franchise QB all the other stuff doesn't matter. That's a win regardless of the loss on paper, VD's great game or Crabtrees impressive performace for little time in the system.

All those don't matter compared to ALEX. The bigggest problem we have on this team is lack of a Franchise QB. If we get that one solved we are on our way.

I agree his decision making was much better today didnt make bad throws..... he has a better arm that hill and is way more mobile... if he can get on track that would be huge for us because the quarterback possition is always in flux... he will bring stability

Tough to make mistakes when you're average pass attempt is about 5 yards. I just think teams have Hill figured out. He doesn't have the arm strength to make half the throws Smith COMPLETED today. I've said it before that his release can be quick but it does get there with enough on it. His bomb is more like a firecracker. Hill does not strike fear into any defensive coordinator and they are eating him alive and it may seem like his last play as a starter was a 4th and 5 play in which he almost tossed a desperate toss to a defender that was not anywhere in reach for a 49er to catch. Hills new position is clip holder for Alex Smith.
Originally posted by B650:

Steve Hill, Shaun Hill's brother? Hello and welcome to the forum. You'll fit right in with all the other Hillusionists.

That was the funniest thing I've seen in weeks on this board. "Shaun Hill can deliver the bomb."

• B650
  • Veteran

That was the funniest thing I've seen in weeks on this board. "Shaun Hill can deliver the bomb."

Yeah, the stink bomb.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
It's a win if ALEX is back and rebuilding his career from the dead. If he can become our Franchise QB all the other stuff doesn't matter. That's a win regardless of the loss on paper, VD's great game or Crabtrees impressive performace for little time in the system.

All those don't matter compared to ALEX. The bigggest problem we have on this team is lack of a Franchise QB. If we get that one solved we are on our way.

Agreed. If Alex Smith can genuinely turn this around and resurrect his career, he'll solve A LOT of problems in one go.

We'll have so much more flexibility in the upcoming draft and no more waiting for anybody to develop.

-9fA

It would just be huge to the development of this team. If we need another QB it could be 4 - 5 more years until that QB is ready... If Alex turns out we can get defense, O Line or WR or RB depth or Safety. It's a huge deal if we don't need to pick another QB and develop that QB for X # of years while waiting in the interim time period with Shaun "NOODLE ARM" playing...

It's interesting that you say if we need to draft a new QB it could be 4 or 5 years until he's ready, and yet many here are all over Smith going into his 5 year. I hope he can continue to improve , if Sing decided to start him
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:

I don't agree with a lot of what you say, but this is right on.

Lol so true, that position has been holding us back for a looong time now. Lets hope he can be that guy for us. We can't be a true contender this season unless Smith makes us that.

Yeah, the stink bomb.

He can deliver a punt.
We are 3-3 so no, not at all... I take this as a loss.

but... there are bright spots.
This was still a loss and only thing that will make me feel better is if the Cardinals end up losing tonight.

Those F$#@ING Cardinals won tonight ------ so this loss feels exactly like what it was a damn loss and it cost us the lead in our division.
[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Oct 26, 2009 at 12:32 AM ]
It's just you. It's a loss. Be prepared for another next week. There is no way the 49ers will beat the Colts. It's not going to happen.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
It was a better feeling loss in the end than it was at the end of the first half.

A loss is a loss and Im a huge Giants fan tonight, but at least we have a little bit to look forward to. Maybe we can shock the world on Sunday.

I think you're absolutely right on here. Good post, with great football insight.

It's a QB league, and if your QB cannot consistently make an accurate throw past 10 yards downfield, the other team's D is going to make things tough for you.

A. Smith still has alot to prove, especially in the consistency department, but he showed today that he has the physical tools, and that he has progressed and improved over time.

If he starts next week, he'll have his work cut out for him, though. Indy's DEs are pretty tough on QBs. OL is gonna have to step up too.

If we saw today the start of A. Smith's ressurection, though, you are correct, it may have been the single most important development for the Niners since Singletary took over. IMHO.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Oct 25, 2009 at 5:31 PM ]