There are 72 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Will Singletary continue his 1920's Offensive Philosophy?

Will Singletary continue his 1920's Offensive Philosophy?

I'm soooo tired of seeing this retarded Neanderthal type of offensive style of football. IT DOESNT WORK. Even great running teams today can throw the ball! His style of offense does not work in today’s high powered scoring offenses unless you have an absolutely DOMINATING defense…which we do not. How many times can you run the double Tight End set, motion the WR down to seal of the edge and run right at the back of the guards and tackles for minimal gains!! It’s so frustrating to watch.

Long behold Smith comes in down 21-0 and we throw the ball and look like a legit NFL offense for once!! Who woulda thunk it?? It’s time to make a change Singletary! Your approach is not working..
I bet we play the same way as always going into the Colts game: run, run, pass. We need to get a real OC and remove the crusty thing up in the booth.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
I bet we play the same way as always going into the Colts game: run, run, pass. We need to get a real OC and remove the crusty thing up in the booth.

so you think Sing/Raye have no learning ability? comeon man any idiot today could see that this team can open it up with Smith in the game. it was also obvious that VD is a legit star at TE, Crabtree will be a legit #1 WR very soon. With that said this team has a elite RB in Frank Gore and they need to find ways to get him the ball in more favorable positons to make a play because the OL sucks ass. we should watch film of the way houston puts slaton in positon in the passing game.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I think it will change. We seemed to have found a QB that can stretch a defense, that will open a lot of things up. Other than a little clock mismanagement from rust, I think Alex played his best 30 minutes of his NFL career, I hope the "old" Alex is gone for good.
Yes, he thinks he is Mike Ditka and the year is 1985.
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:

so you think Sing/Raye have no learning ability? comeon man any idiot today could see that this team can open it up with Smith in the game. it was also obvious that VD is a legit star at TE, Crabtree will be a legit #1 WR very soon. With that said this team has a elite RB in Frank Gore and they need to find ways to get him the ball in more favorable positons to make a play because the OL sucks ass. we should watch film of the way houston puts slaton in positon in the passing game.

Maybe sing but not Raye. The best he has ever produced was a 9-7 team after all his years of being in the league. Basically I need to see it to believe it.
50/50 right now!!
It wouldn't be Singletary the man without the oversized solid gold cross.
It wouldn't be Singletary the coach wihout the smash mouth offense.

If Singletary wants to play finesse aka girlie offense, he would have kept Martz.
I think Singletary is waaaaay misunderstood when it comes to wanting to play smash mouth run first offense.

I think the model we're going after is the Giants. They have a balanced running attack and a balanced passing attack. Nobody says their offensive philosophy is dated or from the 1920's.

The fact of the matter is we mainly lacked a QB that could spread the field and hit the deep balls and our offensive line is far from dominate. Hopefully if Smith continues to be able to do what he did against Houston than we'll see the running game open up as defenses will have actually have to respect our passing game.

I'm not going to say Raye is an offensive mastermind but I would say our problem is more with our personal rather than our play calling and offensive philosophy.
Originally posted by jed_york:

If Singletary wants to play finesse aka girlie offense, he would have kept Martz.

There is a happy medium though. In Rayes offense you can't have a noodle arm, because the defensive formations used to stop the run can also be used to stop short passes. It's why a west coast passing game with a power running game will never work (hello Hostler).

If Alex can perform decent enough (doesn't have to be spectacular, just competent) then Raye will have more options. With Hill my 12 year old pop warner teams I used to coach had a more advanced playbook, and unfortunately I am not exaggerating in the slightest.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
I'm soooo tired of seeing this retarded Neanderthal type of offensive style of football. IT DOESNT WORK. Even great running teams today can throw the ball! His style of offense does not work in today’s high powered scoring offenses unless you have an absolutely DOMINATING defense…which we do not. How many times can you run the double Tight End set, motion the WR down to seal of the edge and run right at the back of the guards and tackles for minimal gains!! It’s so frustrating to watch.

Long behold Smith comes in down 21-0 and we throw the ball and look like a legit NFL offense for once!! Who woulda thunk it?? It’s time to make a change Singletary! Your approach is not working..

If he doesn't evolve his thinking, Sing will go the same route as the Neanderthals.. straight to extinction..
Originally posted by jed_york:

Do you remember the West Coast offense? People said that was girlie back in the 1980s when we passed on 1st and 2nd down and other teams (Chicago, NY, and Washington) ran the ball.
The only reason Singletary's approach isnt working is because we have NO O-LINE. Its plain and simple.
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
I think Singletary is waaaaay misunderstood when it comes to wanting to play smash mouth run first offense.

I think the model we're going after is the Giants. They have a balanced running attack and a balanced passing attack. Nobody says their offensive philosophy is dated or from the 1920's.

The fact of the matter is we mainly lacked a QB that could spread the field and hit the deep balls and our offensive line is far from dominate. Hopefully if Smith continues to be able to do what he did against Houston than we'll see the running game open up as defenses will have actually have to respect our passing game.

I'm not going to say Raye is an offensive mastermind but I would say our problem is more with our personal rather than our play calling and offensive philosophy.

I'm sure the Giants run the ball out of more than 3 offensive formation. We might as well run the Power-I and Wing-T formations.
I think... this offense will continue, but we're going to slowly but surely see more intermediate-to-deep throws. The offense has been working since training camp to be power-running with shorter throws. If Alex is in there, we're going to adapt our offense around him. It'll probably take a few weeks of growing pain... and that's a tough couple weeks to get ourselves straightened out, but I'm very confident that we'll improve. It's about finding the right balance.