LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 376 users in the forums

Maiocco: Singletary undecided on next week's starter at QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Singletary will be captain dumbf**k is he doesnt start Smith

I think he will start Hill, but yank Hill as soon as he makes a mistake or we go three and out

I don't think so. Last year he benched O'Sullivan and it ended up being permanent. I really can't envision Hill coming out and starting again for this team. In Singletary's press conference, he said something to the effect of, "We have playmakers. We just need someone to get them the ball. We have to figure out who gives us the best chance to win."

^^

Not an exact quote, but similar to what he said. Translation: Smith is starting next week.
[ Edited by B650 on Oct 25, 2009 at 5:49 PM ]
Originally posted by BigDaddy:
I admit I'm a big believer in Hill, but what the hell has happened to him? I know he's not a super QB, but I thought he could just keep doing the right amount of game management to lead this team. It seems he is falling down a hole of suck and not showing signs of climbing out. I'm no Alex fan, but if he can do it, put him in. Hell give Davis a shot. Just fix the O-Line already and maybe we can get back on track.

Well, for one thing, they never gave Hill the opportunity to run a spread offense attack the way they just did for Smith.

I am not saying he would be successful at it, but he never had the opportunity.

Smith looked good in college with the spread offense attack, and he has always looked reasonably good in the NFL with the spread offense.

Why don't they do it more?

THAT is the greatest mystery of them all.
Whats so hard to decide???
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by BigDaddy:
I admit I'm a big believer in Hill, but what the hell has happened to him? I know he's not a super QB, but I thought he could just keep doing the right amount of game management to lead this team. It seems he is falling down a hole of suck and not showing signs of climbing out. I'm no Alex fan, but if he can do it, put him in. Hell give Davis a shot. Just fix the O-Line already and maybe we can get back on track.

Well, for one thing, they never gave Hill the opportunity to run a spread offense attack the way they just did for Smith.

I am not saying he would be successful at it, but he never had the opportunity.

Smith looked good in college with the spread offense attack, and he has always looked reasonably good in the NFL with the spread offense.

Why don't they do it more?

THAT is the greatest mystery of them all.

He had the opportunity against the Falcons and all he threw were punt like passes. Hill is a career back up dude.
[ Edited by alpha81 on Oct 25, 2009 at 6:04 PM ]
Like I have been saying for weeks. Smith gives us the best chances for a W. With Smith the game can open up more. The run game will be better and we will see some production finally out of our WR's. Hill is very, VERY limited in what he can do as a QB. It's like playing with only one side of the field when Hill is in. He can't take advantage of the deep pass or mid range pass as his arm is too weak and he throws a horrible DUCK...

Smith will finally be the starter and I expect him to be the starter for the rest of the season.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
He's just saying it. Alex will start, no doubt about it.
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Singletary will be captain dumbf**k is he doesnt start Smith

I think he will start Hill, but yank Hill as soon as he makes a mistake or we go three and out

I don't think so. Last year he benched O'Sullivan and it ended up being permanent. I really can't envision Hill coming out and starting again for this team. In Singletary's press conference, he said something to the effect of, "We have playmakers. We just need someone to get them the ball. We have to figure out who gives us the best chance to win."

^^

Not an exact quote, but similar to what he said. Translation: Smith is starting next week.

Yeah he probably is starting, but Hill is kind of his guy so I dunno. I think that translation of what he says is probably saying that Hill hasn't been getting the ball to the open recievers, and Smith's arm gives him a better shot at it. I hope Alex is the starter.
If he says the same thing tomorrow . . . then I'd be shocked
some of you guys are just wow...of course he's not going to come out right away after this loss and announce Smith as the starter. It will start showing this week during practice, don't want to give the Colts a heads up early on.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
If he says the same thing tomorrow . . . then I'd be shocked

why. It would be better if he doesn't say anything so the colts don't know who will be the starting QB on sunday.

I want Cody Pickett
Relax....its politics
I think for what it's worth, Singletary will discuss this with the coaches and both the QBs first. Then sometime by Wed, he'll make the call to put in Alex. It would be odd if this goes any other way.
Either way, I don't think the press/Maiocco would be the first to know.
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
I think the announcement will be made at the presser tomorrow.
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
Relax....its politics
Share 49ersWebzone