There are 64 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who Will Start @ QB For SF Next Week

Who Will Start @ QB For SF Next Week

• Veteran
I just hope when Alex has a bad game (and all QBs do) that everyone doesn't call for him to be benched. Give him a chance.

I equate losing with Alex and losing with Shaun in this way, I would rather go down swinging than go down watching the ball go by never taking a swing.

I don't hate Hill or anything but damn he didn't seem to try to get the ball to the WRs.
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
I want to see Alex start to see if he can continue to play well against a better team. I don't know though...seeing Indy...they are just too much I think. Sure, they've played some bad teams, but they just look unstoppable. We better go back in time and bring back the '89 team.

unless alex throws 5 int against indy i wouldnt really count it against him indy has been way too good i dont see how we will be able to stop freeney and mathis no way alex gets anytime to throw
I wish Smith would have been healthy with martz as the OC, He probly would have lit it up....
I was honestly surprised to see Alex Smith hit Vernon on those seam routes for TDs because you need to put great touch on the ball to throw it over the LB but in front of the Safety.

And they did it of course 3 times today.

There are just certain throws that Hill can't make. Just look at the 3 catches by Crabtree in the 2nd half. Two of the passes were square-ins where the ball was thrown between 2-3 defenders. Then the quick hitch route on the 3rd and 6- the CB was in great position and Alex throws it right where Crabtree could only catch the ball: high and to the outside.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonJulio:
Now blow it up!

I saved the original one for this moment

I forget the poster on here but he actually made t-shirts with this logo and wore it to a game lol
  • Donnies9ers
  • Info N/A
Shaun is a good back up! Alex is our starter!! whoo hoo I can bring the jersey out of the closet!!
Singletary will be playing damage control tomorrow with both QBs. -He's going to sit them both down (as he usually does with all positions during a shakeup), tell Shaun that he's going with Alex, and announce Alex Smith as the starting QB by either tomorrow's afternoon presser, or Tuesday's. He's going to establish trust so that nobody has any hurt feelings.
Smith looked like an absolutely different QB from two years ago. I know its was only one half but I was very impressed. He was making throws that I had never seen him make, going through progressions, etc. And I think the fact that he actually has NFL caliber receivers to throw really makes a big difference. Remember who he had to throw to his first few years? Bryan Gilmore, Taylor Jacobs, Darrel Jackson?
Originally posted by NickV:
Originally posted by DonJulio:
Now blow it up!

I saved the original one for this moment

I forget the poster on here but he actually made t-shirts with this logo and wore it to a game lol

awesome
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
LOL.

97%

to

3%

so far. What I want to know is who are these 3%?...

Hillusionists.

After all, Hill only had one and a half bad games.

The OL isn't giving him enough time to block. It's all about time.

The OL played better when Alex was in for some reason. That's not Hill's fault.

Crabtree was just starting out in the 1st half and didn't know much. He got it together in the 2nd half, and thus, Alex greatly benefit. If Hill was playing in the 2nd half, Hill would've destroyed Houston as well.

I could go on and on.

You could go on and on, but whether you did or not you would still make zero sense. Try rationality ...... it works !

• B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by erndoogie46:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
LOL.

97%

to

3%

so far. What I want to know is who are these 3%?...

Hillusionists.

After all, Hill only had one and a half bad games.

The OL isn't giving him enough time to block. It's all about time.

The OL played better when Alex was in for some reason. That's not Hill's fault.

Crabtree was just starting out in the 1st half and didn't know much. He got it together in the 2nd half, and thus, Alex greatly benefit. If Hill was playing in the 2nd half, Hill would've destroyed Houston as well.

I could go on and on.

You could go on and on, but whether you did or not you would still make zero sense. Try rationality ...... it works !

Sarcasm Detection Fail.

Try going back to elementary school and learning how to read...it works.
  • B650
  • Veteran
I wonder what Mike Singletary is thinking right now. Hill played well last year for him, helping the 49ers win games and Singletary become the head coach. The team rallied around Singletary, as the winning and his style of coaching got everyone's attention, even Vernon Davis.

I think Mike Singletary is torn here. He's been stressing power running, defense, playing smart, etc. But the season is playing out differently. We can't run, we don't play dominating defense, we're accumulating penalties, a rookie WR has replaced another WR, despite missing all of training camp and 5 games, and most surprising of all, Alex Smith has replaced Shaun Hill, the "game manager."

Doesn't this all seem very weird? I wonder if Singletary, by naming Smith the starter, feels that he's potentially losing the team. I mean, Hill is his guy. He's the one who replaced O'Sullivan last year and put in Hill. I wonder if Singletary feels that this team is now bigger than him. We have potentially great players at WR, TE, and QB now. I know Alex Smith has a long way to go, but this performance did open some eyes up. It just makes me wonder if Singletary is thinking that maybe this could be his own undoing. Maybe the team pursues a more offensive-minded coach next season or in a few seasons, someone like Mike Holmgren, or Mike Shanahan, because clearly, our strength is NOT running the football. We aren't a power running team. Our guys can't block, and our featured back can't stay healthy.

Is he thinking about any of this? Does this have anything to do with who starts at QB next week against Indianapolis? I hope not. I hope Singletary is just doing what's best for the team. That's what he's been saying all along. He wants the best guys out there who give us "the best chance to win." And I believe Alex Smith gives us the best chance to win.

All I know is that as long as we do win, everyone will be happy. You can also lose the team by being too stubborn and sticking with Hill, despite the fact that he isn't producing. I guess in the end, the players will be OK with the change at QB, because this team wants to win, and they'll respect their coach if they know that he feels the same way.

Anyway, I hope Smith is named the starter.
[ Edited by B650 on Oct 26, 2009 at 4:24 AM ]
I wonder what Mike Singletary is thinking right now. Hill played well last year for him, helping the 49ers win games and Singletary become the head coach. The team rallied around Singletary, as the winning and his style of coaching got everyone's attention, even Vernon Davis.

I think Mike Singletary is torn here. He's been stressing power running, defense, playing smart, etc. But the season is playing out differently. We can't run, we don't play dominating defense, we're accumulating penalties, a rookie WR has replaced another WR, despite missing all of training camp and 5 games, and most surprising of all, Alex Smith has replaced Shaun Hill, the "game manager."

Doesn't this all seem very weird? I wonder if Singletary, by naming Smith the starter, feels that he's potentially losing the team. I mean, Hill is his guy. He's the one who replaced O'Sullivan last year and put in Hill. I wonder if Singletary feels that this team is now bigger than him. We have potentially great players at WR, TE, and QB now. I know Alex Smith has a long way to go, but this performance did open some eyes up. It just makes me wonder if Singletary is thinking that maybe this could be his own undoing. Maybe the team pursues a more offensive-minded coach next season or in a few seasons, someone like Mike Holmgren, or Mike Shanahan, because clearly, our strength is NOT running the football. We aren't a power running team. Our guys can't block, and our featured back can't stay healthy.

Is he thinking about any of this? Does this have anything to do with who starts at QB next week against Indianapolis? I hope not. I hope Singletary is just doing what's best for the team. That's what he's been saying all along. He wants the best guys out there who give us "the best chance to win." And I believe Alex Smith gives us the best chance to win.

All I know is that as long as we do win, everyone will be happy. You can also lose the team by being too stubborn and sticking with Hill, despite the fact that he isn't producing. I guess in the end, the players will be OK with the change at QB, because this team wants to win, and they'll respect their coach if they know that he feels the same way.

Anyway, I hope Smith is named the starter.

Smith played well yesterday but more importantly sing/raye opened the playbook up. If smith starts I hope they keep pushing the ball down field. If raye or sing does not have confidence in hill's ability to play when they spread the field then smith should play. The combination of smith, crabtree, morgan and davis seem to be more effective than our o line opening holes for gore.
[ Edited by fister30 on Oct 26, 2009 at 4:43 AM ]
Once Singletary sees the game film, he'll have no choice but to announce Alex as the starter. In one half, he showed more playmaking ability than Hill has all season. He was decisive, poised, and confident...all the things Hill wasn't. Plus, he's got the arm to get the ball downfield...and into our playmaker's hands, something else that wasn't happening w/Hill in there. One thing many have overlooked...and that's Alex's maturity. He's been through a lot...more than most young QB's...and seemingly has come out the other side a better QB. He just needed a chance to show it...he got it yesterday and the results were startling. Coach will have to rethink his offensive philosophy...because his receiving corps is his best chance for success. Adding Crabtree looks like a blessing in more ways than just his receiving talent (which is gy-normous)...his presence on the field really highlights where the focus needs to be, which is throwing the ball downfield. Gore will benefit from that...because Alex throwing to what's our best group of receivers in years will force opposing defenses to defend the entire field, thus opening up some real running lanes for him. The OL remains problematic, though. Coach has to address the right side...my suggestion is to put Wragge at RG, move Snyder to RT 'til Pashos returns. He'd better do something quick...because this Sunday they'll face two of the best in the business: Freeney and Mathis.
the person who made shaun hill the starter should be fired, or should retire!imo.