There are 166 users in the forums

Alex Smith Bandwagon

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Finally just saw the Niners-Colts game. Actually though Smith's stats were worse than how he did. Granted, he didn't do much to distinguish himself, but there were three drops of very catchable balls, and even the miss on Vernon Davis wasn't off by that much. Was expecting it to be ugly and didn't really come away with that impression. Having said that, I can see why Raye wants to see more of Nate Davis with the first team. Man, he is smooth, mobile, powerful and pretty accurate arm. As I just said in the Nate Davis thread, it will be very interesting if both Davis and Smith continue to develop on a positive trajectory. I think Davis is clearly more physically gifted. So what to do if Smith develops into a Peyton Manning like field general? Not as much mobility and pocket presences as Davis, which can get you out of a whole lot of jambs. Well, it would be a nice problem. Definitely want to see what Davis can do with higher level defenders.
Originally posted by baybreaker707:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

It's a civil war amongst us. Smith backers are not more loyal than the Smith haters/bashers, realists, whatever you call us. We expect more than what we have been given by this franchise lately. That includes Smith.

Smith has to prove us wrong. For the sake of the team, I hope he can. It's time to be above average. No more up and down games. Everything is there.

Why does all of the blame fall on Smith? If the OL isn't giving him 3 seconds... if the receivers can't catch what is in their hands... why is that always dumped on the QB?

( not being a d!ck about this... just asking )

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/members/post-edit.php?id=3918587

Read the last post on that page

For whatever reason, that link isn't working for me. No biggie... if it's not worth summarizing, I'll manage...

Despite being 3rd in the NFL in passer rating, Aaron Rodgers had more dropped passes (45) by his receivers than any other QB had. But JaMarcus Russell had the highest percentage of his pass attempts dropped (10.5%) than any other player. Not surprisingly, Darrius Heyward-Bey led the NFL in lowest catch % as he caught only 23.7% of passes thrown to him.

http://stats-dont-lie.blogspot.com/2010/01/random-notes-from-2009-nfl-season.html

All I hear is how Alex has his passes dropped. Didn't seem to bother Aaron Rodger's having a career year with arguably the worst offensive line in the NFL last year.

Betterdayz do yourself and us a favor. Go buy a Packers jersey or better yet a cheese head hat. Find a Packers fan site and register. I think the betterdayz you used here wouldn't work there tho because it's obvious you think they are in a better position than the team fan site you are on now.

I need to get everyone's sizes first. There are quite a few people here that feel the same way. Let me know if you need one too.
i think its about time i make a new pic
Originally posted by 9eridiot:

True. But, we did something about the O-line (2 1sts). That changes expectations. The worry is there's been no upgrade at QB.

When? Right outta the gate? Sorry, but it's pretty possible... maybe even likely... that our OL will be anything but an upgrade early on. Iupati, I don't worry too much about... but Anthony Davis' pass protection reminds me of Kwame Harris' thus far. Such a weak link in the OL could spell disaster for the offense as a whole... and people would still be wondering why our QB can't complete passes with 2 seconds of time.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
To BillBird

This is such an old argument. Just because you say that you want Alex to do well doesn't mean anything.

For an example: The Seattle Game where Smith had perhaps his best game. Go back and look at the comments. The "ACP" or whatever people are calling the haters these days, for the most part, harped on the last throw, or said "he's only had one 300 yd game now" etc.

You see that since the ACP's (and the Alexcusionists or whatever they are called) are both emotionally invested in Alex's Success or failure for personal/ pride/ validation reasons, they interpret things with a bias. That is the problem. So what some on here are saying is that it doesn't matter what Smith does well (again as evidenced by the Seattle game last year) The ACP's will focus on any negatives to make themselves feel like their view is correct. While on the other hand the real hard core Alexcusionists will do the same thing by over-looking his faults. IT is so funny when somebody from one faction calls out the other - like you just did - for doing something that they themselves are promulgating in posts all the time.

To DTComposer:

RE: Alex Smith

Response: BULL

I personally don't believe Alex had one good game last year. He had some average games. He had some below average games. And -- in others -- he just sucked.

I hope you're not referring to the game AT Seattle. If you call this "good quarterbacking," then we will never agree on this point. Heck -- I don't think we'd agree on what's black and what's white.

Good quarterbacks do not have games like Alex had against the Bears -- in front of the home crowd. Good quarterbacks take advantage of their counterparts when they throw five interceptions in one game. Good quarterbacks turn a five-pick game into blowouts.

Good quarterbacks do not play the Rams to a first half tie during the last game of the regular season.

Did you miss those games? And you're calling me biased? Really?

you're absolutely in denial if you think you're unbiased.

Along with Shaj, ZRF and Norcal, you're one of the most staunch unwavering critics there are.

-9fA

Fine. I'm in Denial. It ain't just a river in Egypt.

This just in: Alex Smith sucks.

lol, I can respect that

-9fA
Originally posted by 9eridiot:

True. But, we did something about the O-line (2 1sts). That changes expectations. The worry is there's been no upgrade at QB.

When? Right outta the gate? Sorry, but it's pretty possible... maybe even likely... that our OL will be anything but an upgrade early on. Iupati, I don't worry too much about... but Anthony Davis' pass protection reminds me of Kwame Harris' thus far. Such a weak link in the OL could spell disaster for the offense as a whole... and people would still be wondering why our QB can't complete passes with 2 seconds of time.

Look, they can't do much more than spend the #1 & #2 pick on the o-line. Add Westbrook at RB and you've made some investments that should raise expectations for payoffs today, tomorrow, or next year. The same can't be said for the QB position.

Where is the upgrade there? It's neither in personnel, nor scheme.

So, these OL and RB investments must compensate for the QB position and ensure we overcome the inability to "complete passes with 2 seconds of time".

You can either keep searching for that perfect O-line (if you've got the money), or you can invest in QB or scheme to raise the competency of the QB position.
From the looks of it, Alex is going to be throwing to Morgan, Ginn, and Delanie on Sunday.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
From the looks of it, Alex is going to be throwing to Morgan, Ginn, and Delanie on Sunday.

I hope no one uses that as an excuse when Alex has a sub par game.

mmm gotta love that confidence!
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

not like he's lead me to believe otherwise.

• Nes49
  • Veteran

Cool. Get that work in with them & develop.

not like he's lead me to believe otherwise.

Go watch the Jacksonville game from last year.
Originally posted by Nes49:

that sucks our 3 best offensive players will be out on sunday
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Preseason!

Its time to develop our depth now
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Preseason!

Its time to develop our depth now

its not that i just dont feel like hearing how bad our 1st team O is eventhough were missing our top 3 offensive players
Share 49ersWebzone