LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 325 users in the forums

Alex Smith Bandwagon

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm not one to rub it in anyone's face (with the exception of that joke thread I made) but I'm very happy that Alex smith is starting to prove me right.

Let's not hail him as the second coming of Steve Young yet but he looked pretty damn good today. We should all hope he keeps it up.
Originally posted by boomer49er:
If Alex keeps going there is certainly no reason to draft a QB. Now 3 TDs in a half isn't going to happen week in and week out, but you guys know what I'm saying.

Right now our draft needs are on the offensive line and we need a game breaking offensive/special teams skill player. A guy that we can get on the field in many ways and get the ball to. He needs to be a return man, RB, slot receiver, ect.

Eric Berry can be a big player at Saftey and return for us...he would be a good pick i think
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
1 half of football doesn't wipe out four years of mediocre play.

We'll just have to wait and see.
We have been discussing Smith vrs Hill in other forums and Like I said before, Smith opens up our offense where Hill makes us too easy to game plan for. Smith is by far and away a better QB then Hill and I think three TD's in half a game and over 200 yds passing hitting on like 15 of 22 is pretty darn good. Yea he did throw a INT but I will take that as long as he is putting up better numbers than Hills game numbers of 17-29 for 172 yards and 1 TD or 0 TD's. Gore will have a much better season with Smith in as the QB and I expect much better numbers now from our WR's as Smith can hit them deep and Hill cannot.
In 11 halves of the season we had a boring, predictable and uneventful offense but in one half with Alex we looked like a real team. Alex can do it next year, give him some real protection and we will be a team that will scare people. We have all the weapons we need.
Originally posted by boomer49er:
If Alex keeps going there is certainly no reason to draft a QB. Now 3 TDs in a half isn't going to happen week in and week out, but you guys know what I'm saying.

Right now our draft needs are on the offensive line and we need a game breaking offensive/special teams skill player. A guy that we can get on the field in many ways and get the ball to. He needs to be a return man, RB, slot receiver, ect.

+safety
If Smith can become the quarterback he was always meant to be, we can draft a new offensive line to make him and our rushing game even better. We should also draft or put a speedy burner receiver in there to return kickoffs and punts. Once Bruce retires, we'll have a receiver set that looks like Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Brandon Jones and Jason Hill. I like the sound of that. We really need to lock up Vernon before he hits free agency.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
"Alex Smith looked better today than any time during the 2006 season". - Gary Plummer.

I agree. With that said, I still wanna draft a QB next year.

I think the Niners can wait a while now before deciding that. It would be so nice not having to use one of those picks on a QB.
  • Kelv
  • Veteran
Its clear that Smith deserves a chance now, it really was an excellent performance from the guy with presumably little time with the first team. Will be interesting to see how he copes with the added pressure of being the starter. Back up QBs are nearly always the most popular players on the team and with so much expectation after the 2nd half today I wonder how he'll react. Hopefully he comes through...
  • NinersCluebat
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by crzy:

This.

And hoping he can continue the good play, but lets take it for what it is.

That must have been hard for you.
Originally posted by Psinex:
If Smith can become the quarterback he was always meant to be, we can draft a new offensive line to make him and our rushing game even better. We should also draft or put a speedy burner receiver in there to return kickoffs and punts. Once Bruce retires, we'll have a receiver set that looks like Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Brandon Jones and Jason Hill. I like the sound of that. We really need to lock up Vernon before he hits free agency.

Or better yet a speedy running back like CJ Spiller.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinersCluebat:

This.

And hoping he can continue the good play, but lets take it for what it is.

It does when the QB he replaced has played even more mediocre ball than him. At least we have an upgrade.
Plummer also gave props to QB Coach Mike Johnson. He said Smith's dropbacks and ability to read his progressions looks much faster. He said Mike Johnson has been working with Alex all off-season. I know its early, but Plummer also said he thinks Alex looked even better than at any point during that 2006 season with Norv Turner.
[ Edited by PTulini on Oct 25, 2009 at 1:59 PM ]

Youre kidding right?

To just generalize all of Smith's career is horrible.

He was just beginning to progress when he got injured before the whole JTO and Hill crap.
Share 49ersWebzone