The only guess that I can make is that they are hiding certain guys on the roster because they factor into the longterm future of the team, but they don't want to let go of the guys who do not (Battle and Bruce).
1. Bruce- He still has something to contribute IF used correctly. However, he should not be starting. I don't expect much more than what we got last year from Bruce, and we have at least 3 receivers who can give what Bruce has as far as production is concerned.
2. Morgan- Clearly factors into the long and short term future of the team. Needs to be given more opportunities.
3. Hill- Factors into the long term future of the team (since they seem to be unwilling to let the guy go).
4. Jones- The biggest question mark. All of the money he was paid to do what?
5. Spurlock- If this guy isn't going to be used as a KR/PR, cut him. We have enough young/unproven receivers to develop.
6. Battle- veteran preference here. We already know what we will get out of Battle as a receiver and as a returner (see the Dennis Erickson era). I like Battle and have been one of his biggest supporters. However, we know what we are going to get out of him. If Spurlock can do a better job returning kicks, then Battle should be the one that is de-activated or cut.
7. Crabtree- no explanatio needed.
So with this list, we lose 1 or 2 guys and have 4 young receivers to ride into the future with.
This fan site is dedicated to the 49ers and their fans. It is in no way affiliated with the NFL or any of its teams. All teams and players mentioned on this site are registered trademarks of the NFL. The use of any team names, words, trademarks, logos or photos have been used for descriptive purposes only. The content and information from other sites is the property of their respective owners. Player and team photos used with permission from USA TODAY Sports Images.