Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Whatis McCloughan doing?

Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
He's an idiot. Just overrated on this board. People make lots of excuses for him because they want to feel like we are moving in the right direction. But he has been rebuilding for years and years and we aren't better from a talent standpoint.

It scares me to death this guy will be responsible for 2 1st round picks next year. My guess is he will pick 2 Guards who can't block and yet again we will be no better off.

You know what to do, since you obviously know so much more about football than McCloughan, polish up your surely impressive resume and send it on in.

I'm sure Jed would fire Scot and hire you in a hot second...

no kidding. What a joke, all these armchair GMs.

And anyone who doesn't think we're more talented now than in 2004 is a f**king moron.

Are we more talented?

~ No pass rush.
~ No franchise QB. A bust wasted #1 pick.
~ No offensive line still after years and years of picking O linemen.
~ No WR's.
~ Big Safety problems.
~ No KR / PR.
~ No depth at RB.

Yeah we are so much more talented after years and years of wasted picks.

I don't normally agree with your very negative outlook but I have to agree on:

Pass rush ------ constantly neglected and we are still waiting for any improvement to this unit from our drafts. This is another glaring miss by McCloughan.

QB ------ still an issue at this point. Hill and Smith just don't appear tobe answer. I will admit to being bit curious about the addition of Davis and if he will make any kind of an impact or not.

Offensive Line ------ This is where I think that McCloughan has fumbled and fumbled and fumbled. This has been the main reason the offense has been rated so poorly every year. I know some will point to lack of talent but if this group had been good the offense would have been more productive. Just to many sacks and hits on the QB's period. He has been too cheap to pay for good OG's.

Scot M. = not the answer.
absolutely nothing, most of his picks have been a disaster....when does his contract expire?
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
absolutely nothing, most of his picks have been a disaster....when does his contract expire?
  • Mex49
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
He's an idiot. Just overrated on this board. People make lots of excuses for him because they want to feel like we are moving in the right direction. But he has been rebuilding for years and years and we aren't better from a talent standpoint.

It scares me to death this guy will be responsible for 2 1st round picks next year. My guess is he will pick 2 Guards who can't block and yet again we will be no better off.

You know what to do, since you obviously know so much more about football than McCloughan, polish up your surely impressive resume and send it on in.

I'm sure Jed would fire Scot and hire you in a hot second...

no kidding. What a joke, all these armchair GMs.

And anyone who doesn't think we're more talented now than in 2004 is a f**king moron.

Did you just thank Nolan?
Originally posted by Daniel2778:

Drafts are crap shoots. Every football fan knows this...if you think differently, you're entitled to your opinion. In this Forbes article below, I read about the top 5 teams who are most successful at drafts and the 5 worst teams. Of course, the Cots, Patriots, and Steelers are mentioned in this article. However, not all three on in the top 5...in fact both the Patriots and Steelers on in the bottom 5 worst drafting teams.

My point in mentioning this is that it isn't fully drafting that makes a team, it is Free Agency, and Coaching as well. I don't think McCloughan is the best GM out there, but I also can't say he is the worst (nor in the bottom 10 in the league). Players that have come to SF under McCloughan are: Willis, Gore, Staley, V. Davis, J. Smith, M. Lawson, N. Clements, M. Lewis, D. Goldson, and W. Harris. Yes, some of these players also came when Nolan was here but so was McCloughan. All of these players could either start or would have started on many other teams in the NFL. Now yes you could also make a BIG list of players that have been brought in...mainly draft wise, who have not panned out. The fact is, ALL NFL teams have this...except every one of them needs to hit more than they bust. Also, you need to hit on ones that complement one another too. I would be all for bringing in Holmgren to be the Niners GM, even Shanahan if he wanted too. Other than that...give me the Colts, Broncos, or Giants top talent man for GM. However, if they don't do that I'm also ok with having McCloughan have another year.

Forbes Article
Originally posted by ninerempire25:
When Martz was our OC last year did we have 5 WR's ??

Now that we have an OC that wants to run the ball more , now we have 7 ......WTF ??

I'm still bummed we lost Kory Sheets.

He doesn't know what he is doing. Neither does Singletary. Neither does SILVER SPOON JED YORKIE.

Stop trolling, just stop, leave Niner Talk alone, some people actually try to have a intelligent discussion, seriously...stop.
[ Edited by TheG0RE49er on Oct 25, 2009 at 9:07 AM ]

Other than the Alex Smith thing, he can't be overrated. I mean Joe Staley, the best defensive player in the NFL, maybe best player in the game in P-52. Getting Clements and Mike Lewis in here, along with J-Smooth. Frank Gore, even Glen Coffee, getting Moran Norris back. I mean those are a lot of quality football players, even some great football players in there, if that's overrated, I want to be overrated too.

That statement is silly.
People keep saying carry another OL why? We have 9 on the 53 man roster and at least on on the practice squad. I agree 7 Wr are too and a 3rd TE might be nice. But more average to below average OL doesn't make any sense.
We should've gave Spurlock the boot when Crabtree signed. He isn't doing anything special.
Also, you have to look at this from a business standpoint. Professional football is a business, and so are the 49ers. Sure we want to win championships because superbowls equal more fans, endorsements, more MONEY!

I'm not sure how much money Rossum was due to make with salary and bonus combined, but I'm sure it was more than they would have to pay a first time year guy like Spurlock, or even Jason Hill who is like 5th on the depth chart.

Billy Bajema was a great blocking tight end for us when we had him... We let go of the guy because he was making $950,000 a year just to block. Shoot, the 49ers were paying Vernon Davis millions of dollars to block, but at least he's showing some signs of improvement.

At the end of the day, it comes down to this.... money! I just hope we do well going forward with our season and future drafts and personnel decisions.

GO NINERS!!! whoop these texans!!!!!
McCloughan doesn't make the decisions about who starts, who returns kicks, who's innactive or anything of that nature.