LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 124 users in the forums

Whatis McCloughan doing?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
What upsets me most is that we are so thin at RB and TE. Also, I think Rossum was our best return man, and that we should have kept him and let Jason Hill or Michael Spurlock go instead, especially after signing Crabtree.

I feel like McCloughan has not made the right personnel choices at times, and quite frankly has left many of us scratching our heads.

Look at our team's offensive philosophy:

Hard nosed running between the tackles, ball control, safe passes.
Mostly 2RB, 2WR sets. Some 2TE sets. Very few 3WR sets.

Now look at our personnel.

3RBs (Including MROB who really is exclusively a special teams player)
1FB
2TEs
7WRs (What?)

What's going on here? Kory Sheets was let go (and not that he ever proved anything, but he did show a little promise). Didn't we have 4 TEs back in July? Pascoe and another guy who was playing better than Pascoe? We cut 2 of our 4 TEs in favor of keeping all these WRs?

And on the defensive side of things, we have 7 D-Linemen for our 3-4 defense (not sure if that's the norm). We also have 10DBs, including 5 safeties and 5 corners (not including Walt Harris)(not sure if that's the norm either).

But I am certain of this:

2 RBs (I exclude MROB) and 2TEs is just plain WRONG for this type of offensive philosophy.

I thought a GM is supposed to build a depth chart based on the team's philosophy. Maybe he isn't sold on the philosophy. Heck I don't know what's going on.
He's an idiot. Just overrated on this board. People make lots of excuses for him because they want to feel like we are moving in the right direction. But he has been rebuilding for years and years and we aren't better from a talent standpoint.

It scares me to death this guy will be responsible for 2 1st round picks next year. My guess is he will pick 2 Guards who can't block and yet again we will be no better off.
Right now?
The main reason why was b/c Gore is a lock at starter and Coffee was a lock as backup. Same with Davis and Walker.

Also, since we do not have a #1 WR we needed all of them hoping 1 of them would emerge as a number 1 or close to it. I know i was hoping that Hill or Jones could be a #1 and to keep them. I know what you mean though. Battle and Spurlock should of been an obvious cut, but then again for WHAT??? A third TE or 4th RB that has little chance of anything but a third permanently.

I was in agreement with this approach only because we are set at rb and TE without anyone else and Not at all set at WR...that's how you should try to look at it
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's an idiot. Just overrated on this board. People make lots of excuses for him because they want to feel like we are moving in the right direction. But he has been rebuilding for years and years and we aren't better from a talent standpoint.

It scares me to death this guy will be responsible for 2 1st round picks next year. My guess is he will pick 2 Guards who can't block and yet again we will be no better off.

You know what to do, since you obviously know so much more about football than McCloughan, polish up your surely impressive resume and send it on in.

I'm sure Jed would fire Scot and hire you in a hot second...
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

You know what to do, since you obviously know so much more about football than McCloughan, polish up your surely impressive resume and send it on in.

no kidding. What a joke, all these armchair GMs.

And anyone who doesn't think we're more talented now than in 2004 is a f**king moron.
Originally posted by mississippi_sam:
What upsets me most is that we are so thin at RB and TE. Also, I think Rossum was our best return man, and that we should have kept him and let Jason Hill or Michael Spurlock go instead, especially after signing Crabtree.

I feel like McCloughan has not made the right personnel choices at times, and quite frankly has left many of us scratching our heads.

1FB
2TEs
7WRs (What?)

What's going on here? Kory Sheets was let go (and not that he ever proved anything, but he did show a little promise). Didn't we have 4 TEs back in July? Pascoe and another guy who was playing better than Pascoe? We cut 2 of our 4 TEs in favor of keeping all these WRs?

And on the defensive side of things, we have 7 D-Linemen for our 3-4 defense (not sure if that's the norm). We also have 10DBs, including 5 safeties and 5 corners (not including Walt Harris)(not sure if that's the norm either).

2 RBs (I exclude MROB) and 2TEs is just plain WRONG for this type of offensive philosophy.

I thought a GM is supposed to build a depth chart based on the team's philosophy. Maybe he isn't sold on the philosophy. Heck I don't know what's going on.

Trust me I'm not a huge McCloughan fan but everything you are referring to sounds like coaching decisions which is not Scotts responisbility.

Cutting 2 TE is not scotts call
Keeping 7 WR is not scotts call

Basically all the personnell decisions that you are referring to ultimately is Singletary's call. It looks like he kept who he feels the best 53 are regardless of position.

PErsonally I agree we should have 3 TE and kept only 5 WR six MAx. I also feel we should have not released Rossum and that Spurlock should have been released if anyone(that appeared to be Sings call too). If we keep 5 WR we would have been able to carry an extra OL and still carry 3 TE.

My problem with Scott is that he has not done anything to improve the QB or OL positions in the past 4 years. I want results tommorrow.Hill needs to step it up orgive way to Alex or Davis or soemone that is going to be productive at the position. Right now the way Hill looks, Arnaz Battle and Michael robinson would be a better fit.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

And anyone who doesn't think we're more talented now than in 2004 is a f**king moron.
So when are we gonna bring Mike Holmgren in? Should we start making billboards like Bills fans?
Originally posted by E-49er:

1FB
2TEs
7WRs (What?)

Trust me I'm not a huge McCloughan fan but everything you are referring to sounds like coaching decisions which is not Scotts responisbility.

Basically all the personnell decisions that you are referring to ultimately is Singletary's call. It looks like he kept who he feels the best 53 are regardless of position.

PErsonally I agree we should have 3 TE and kept only 5 WR six MAx. I also feel we should have not released Rossum and that Spurlock should have been released if anyone(that appeared to be Sings call too). If we keep 5 WR we would have been able to carry an extra OL and still carry 3 TE.

My problem with Scott is that he has not done anything to improve the QB or OL positions in the past 4 years. I want results tommorrow.Hill needs to step it up orgive way to Alex or Davis or soemone that is going to be productive at the position. Right now the way Hill looks, Arnaz Battle and Michael robinson would be a better fit.

I'm thinking a long the lines of 5 receivers and an extra OL and RB. Keeping with the Running game theme...

Originally posted by ObePwnD:

1FB
2TEs
7WRs (What?)

I'm thinking a long the lines of 5 receivers and an extra OL and RB. Keeping with the Running game theme...

YEah I could see that working. I said TE because we only have 2 TE and Delanie isnt the best blocker at that position.

1FB
2TEs
7WRs (What?)

YEah I could see that working. I said TE because we only have 2 TE and Delanie isnt the best blocker at that position.

I hear you.

1FB
2TEs
7WRs (What?)

Hey "E", did you put anything down in Vagas on the odds of the Niners making the playoffs? What are the odds?

1FB
2TEs
7WRs (What?)

Agree!
Originally posted by HessianDud:

Are we more talented?

~ No pass rush.
~ No franchise QB. A bust wasted #1 pick.
~ No offensive line still after years and years of picking O linemen.
~ No WR's.
~ Big Safety problems.
~ No KR / PR.
~ No depth at RB.

Yeah we are so much more talented after years and years of wasted picks.
Share 49ersWebzone