There are 145 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Loss to Houston: Are Our Playoff Dreams Over ?

At the rate the offense is going the 49ers won't make the playoffs unless Raye seriously opens up the offense and the O-line keeps struggling despite changes along with the QB(Hill or Smith).

Although I do support Smith I wouldn't call myself pro Smith (hello Kolohe),I also support Hill and hope he improves so the 49ers will be better off and if not,there has to be a change at QB and there's no doubt in my mind Sing will do so if necessary.

When they play Indy I hope they go at them like the Raiders did to Philly and blitz/harass Manning like crazy otherwise he will eat them alive.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
even if we win this game, sneak into the playoffs as a wild card, we're still not gonna do anything. Not until we get a legit QB.

there have been several superbowl winning teams that did not have a great QB. I am not saying we're going to win the superbowl but it still doesn't mean that we will not get into the playoffs as a division winner (we play in the NFC West very realistic) and you never know what's going to happen when you get into the playoffs
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by matt49er:
even if we win this game, sneak into the playoffs as a wild card, we're still not gonna do anything. Not until we get a legit QB.

there have been several superbowl winning teams that did not have a great QB. I am not saying we're going to win the superbowl but it still doesn't mean that we will not get into the playoffs as a division winner (we play in the NFC West very realistic) and you never know what's going to happen when you get into the playoffs

Exactly. The playoffs is an entirely different platform once (and if) we get there. The question is whether or not we can, especially if we suffer another devastating loss against a team that we should beat. I feel that IF Sing/Raye continue to play it safe, we're gonna get rocked in Houston tomorrow..........
Ray is the reason that we will never be in the playoffs !
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Quote:

[img=]
  • Mex49
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:

The Texans are not a pushover team anymore. While we have our work cut out for us, like every team we play, we have to start playing complete games. Ball control, chain moving, scoring offense to go along with our up and coming defense. This bye week was supposed to take care of our inept offense all the way around. We have to wait and see if what was broken is now fixed. We have a lot to watch for today on offense, to see if our coaches can call plays to fit our strengths and overcome our many exposed weaknesses. If we dont win in Texas, and Arizona is good enough to beat NY in NY. Then we know two things. Our dream of us being a playoff team, just by taking the NFC west, were an aberation. And, we just arent there yet, because you have to beat good teams as well as beatable teams, like the Cards did last year.

We have to pull off upsets to win the west, plain and simple. I'm not saying Houston is a good team, but they would be a good team to upset at home. By us. Today will tell. Go niners.
No but a loss would hurt us while a win would put us in pretty good shape to at least have a good shot at winning the division.
HaHa cant throw out of a wet paper sack!!!!!!! LOL LOL Love it!!!!!!
  • dust-7
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by cNiner:
Ray is the reason that we will never be in the playoffs !

Possibly. But again, remember, Manusky's D gave up 35 points in just the first half in the previous game.

35 points. The D dropped from top 10 down to a bit above 20. They threaten to fall again, against the HOU receivers if there's still no consistent pressure on the QB.

Let HOU try the short passes. Maybe we get a pick or fumble. But no long bombs over Roman, or Clements or whatever. No playing off the HOU receivers by five yards or more. And get somebody up there on an actual pass rush.

The 49ers not only CAN win this, they better win this game.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:

I hate these comparisons, the recent teams that won Super Bowls with mediocre or worse Qbs had the best defenses in the league those years, the 49er defense is not even top ten, even though it is improved over years past. Also Shaun Hill is no where near as good as a Dilfer or Brad Johnson. You niner fans keep thinking Dilfer was never any better than the 49er version, he was. Shaun Hill is the bottom of the QB pile, name another team he could start for.
On to the question at hand, I still think even with a Houston loss the team could finish at 9-7 and possibly get in the play-offs.
I believe the answer is yes, we showed alot in the 2nd half with Alex on offense and the defense played very well also giving up only 1 big play and 1 50 yard FG.
The defense will be in much better position with Smith at QB we will not have to punt from inside our own 10 yard line every single possession putting pressure on the D.
The O has some weapons that Alex looked good using in VD/Crabtree/Morgan(who needs to be playing every down over Bruce).
9ers still win the division ending at 9-7 or 10-6 IMO.