There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Things I am looking for/hoping for going into the Texans game

Things I am looking/hoping for in the Texans game;

Coming out and looking good, at least the 1st quarter, teams coming of bye's almost always dominate at least the 1st quarter. It is a bad sign if we come out and struggle early in the game after having a bye.

Offensive line: It all starts with these guys, they have to get it together. Staley has been our only offensive lineman playing solid football thus far. David Baas really needs to step it up and while I don't like rotating offensive lineman, I hope with Rachal rotating with Adam Snyder, it will force him to step up and get more focused. I think Tony Pashos will do a solid job at RT. I have never been a big Eric Heitman fan. The Texans have a good front 4 and a aggressive front 7, so this group will have their hands full.

Shuan Hill: I just wonder if Hill got exposed vs the Falcons and he is a starting quarterback in the NFL. He does a lot of little things well but he can't get the ball down the field and he struggles getting rid of the ball when he is being chased because he has almost no arm strength. He has to step it up and play at least solid and show that he can make a throw or two down the field (15-20+yds)

Our Secondary vs the Texans receivers: The Texans obviously have Andre Johnson who is one of the two best, if not the best WR in the NFL. But they also have Kevin Walter, Jacoby Jones, Owen Daniels at TE and Steve Slaton is good at catching the football out of the backfield. Clements will have his hands full with Johnson but I think he can do an effective job, he just can't let or miss any tackles with that guy. I like Spencer on Walter and Goldson on Daniels but uh oh, Mark Roman is starting this week at SS...

Our Pass Rush: We have regressed in the pass rush department almost every week since game 1, IMO. Parys Haralson had a great game vs AZ but has basically dissapeared since. He must step it up and show he is a starter in this league. I also look for Ahmad Brooks to get some more snaps. I know most QB's are not the same when they have pressure on them but Schaub is one of those guys who is great when he has time but struggles when he has pressure coming at him, I want to see some Patrick Willis blitzing up the middle and some other guys besides Justin Smith coming with a pass rush.

Our Return game: This is a huge problem on our team right now. I am not comfortable with Arnaz Battle returning punts, I would rather have Michael Spurlock or Brandon Jones returning punts. I do think Delaine Walker is a solid KR, he has a nice burst and uses his weight and momentum well on KR's (for the most part). We also have to do a good job of covering the Texans Jacoby Jones when he is returning kicks.

Oh and Michael Crabtree.... I am pumped to see this kid play and with all the great things I have been hearing and reading about him, I am that much more excited. That being said, there is no way I expect him to have a 6-8 catches, 100+yd game. I just can't see it from a guy who signed 3 weeks ago and in this offense. I do think he will help this team even if he does not catch many passes. I also think he is not going to play as much as some people migh think he is. I think Sing has the Texans maybe thinking that way on purpose, but while Crabtree will start, I think he only plays 20-25 snaps. Still I think he will have an impact in this game. I also am excited to see what Morgan can do as the slot WR and I think/hope you will see him rotate some with Issac Bruce.

Bottom line: We have to win this game, this is a big game coming out of our bye. We lose this game and we are 3-3 going into Indy next wk. Winning this game would obviously put us to 4-2 and give us a little cusion and room for error going down the stretch but losing would be a big setback and really limit our chances of winning the division. It's simple for us, we have to run the ball, play good defense and not turn the ball over. But we (Jimmy Raye/Shuan Hill) also have to show we can be a little creative and move the ball through the air. Getting a early lead would be huge, esspecially if we can get up 10-0 or 14-0 because it will limit the Texans playaction bootlegs that they do oh so well.

Big game, I feel the same way going into this game like I did when we were going into the Arizona game opening week....Uncertain! Im just not sure what to expect but I do know we need to win!
Guys in particular who need to step it up starting tomorrow;

Whole O-Line but we need Rachal and Pashos to play well

Shuan Hill

Parys Haralson

Kentwan Balmer (with Ray McDonald hurting and a game-time decision, Balmer could see a lot of action)

Our KR-PR's

Nate Clements
good post the only thing that worries me is our o-line and secondary, hopefully they will step it up. i will be at this game and im hoping gore bounces back and crabs gets at least one catch
Originally posted by GoreForMore:
good post the only thing that worries me is our o-line and secondary, hopefully they will step it up. i will be at this game and im hoping gore bounces back and crabs gets at least one catch

I like our secondary, though Roman in there, not so much. Still for a game or two, I can live with Roman as the starter. He is actually better suited to play SS than FS because of his lack (closing) speed and playmaking skills. He does tackle well and at SS he won't have to be in pass coverage as much or asked to make plays on the ball as much. Goldson will have to countinue to play well and step it up and cover a lot of ground. Clements, Spencer, Bly, TB....I like all four of them at cornerback. I think you may see some Marcus Hudson this week as im sure he is taking snaps at safety with Lewis and Smith out.

Our O-Line worries me to, esspecially going up against a good Texas D-Line. Now word is Mario Williams may not play and he has been pretty limited by a shoulder injury all year so that is good news. A big matchup to watch is Antonio Smith vs Tony Pashos.
haha im looking for a win and hopefully an autograph or 2
I just hope we win!
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Oct 24, 2009 at 3:26 PM ]
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I just hope we win!

That would be enough for me.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Things I am looking/hoping for in the Texans game;

Coming out and looking good, at least the 1st quarter, teams coming of bye's almost always dominate at least the 1st quarter. It is a bad sign if we come out and struggle early in the game after having a bye.
Through 5 games, this hasn't happend once....I've always believed you have to come out swinging, but we don't and I wouldn't expect it under the Sing-Raye Era.

Offensive line: It all starts with these guys, they have to get it together. Staley has been our only offensive lineman playing solid football thus far. David Baas really needs to step it up and while I don't like rotating offensive lineman, I hope with Rachal rotating with Adam Snyder, it will force him to step up and get more focused. I think Tony Pashos will do a solid job at RT. I have never been a big Eric Heitman fan. The Texans have a good front 4 and a aggressive front 7, so this group will have their hands full.
Well they have to do something because itthis group looks confused, overmatched, and just plain brow-beaten. We've have got to do something about the A gap blitzes becuase they are going to keep sending it.
Shuan Hill: I just wonder if Hill got exposed vs the Falcons and he is a starting quarterback in the NFL. He does a lot of little things well but he can't get the ball down the field and he struggles getting rid of the ball when he is being chased because he has almost no arm strength. He has to step it up and play at least solid and show that he can make a throw or two down the field (15-20+yds)
With a Qb like Hill, you have to have a solid game plan, for the blitzes, changing the play at the line, and covering up a lack of arm strength. We don't screen enough, throw quick slants or EVER challenge down field. DCs everywhere could take a week off when they play us. Stop Gore, crowd the box, blitz often.

Our Secondary vs the Texans receivers: The Texans obviously have Andre Johnson who is one of the two best, if not the best WR in the NFL. But they also have Kevin Walter, Jacoby Jones, Owen Daniels at TE and Steve Slaton is good at catching the football out of the backfield. Clements will have his hands full with Johnson but I think he can do an effective job, he just can't let or miss any tackles with that guy. I like Spencer on Walter and Goldson on Daniels but uh oh, Mark Roman is starting this week at SS...
This is going to be a real battle to watch. This is how effective Offenses work in the NFL. #1 receiver, #2 receiver, great TE, dynamic RB. Can't cover all that 100% of the time.I hope Manusky dials something speacial up.
Our Pass Rush: We have regressed in the pass rush department almost every week since game 1, IMO. Parys Haralson had a great game vs AZ but has basically dissapeared since. He must step it up and show he is a starter in this league. I also look for Ahmad Brooks to get some more snaps. I know most QB's are not the same when they have pressure on them but Schaub is one of those guys who is great when he has time but struggles when he has pressure coming at him, I want to see some Patrick Willis blitzing up the middle and some other guys besides Justin Smith coming with a pass rush.

Apparently it is going to require extra guys coming in order to generate a pass rush.

Our Return game: This is a huge problem on our team right now. I am not comfortable with Arnaz Battle returning punts, I would rather have Michael Spurlock or Brandon Jones returning punts. I do think Delaine Walker is a solid KR, he has a nice burst and uses his weight and momentum well on KR's (for the most part). We also have to do a good job of covering the Texans Jacoby Jones when he is returning kicks.
Coverage teams must keep tabs on Jones, and I don't give a rats ass WHO a return guy is but we need to figure it out and stick with it. Battle isn't bad at punts, but isn't a real threat.

Oh and Michael Crabtree.... I am pumped to see this kid play and with all the great things I have been hearing and reading about him, I am that much more excited. That being said, there is no way I expect him to have a 6-8 catches, 100+yd game. I just can't see it from a guy who signed 3 weeks ago and in this offense. I do think he will help this team even if he does not catch many passes. I also think he is not going to play as much as some people migh think he is. I think Sing has the Texans maybe thinking that way on purpose, but while Crabtree will start, I think he only plays 20-25 snaps. Still I think he will have an impact in this game. I also am excited to see what Morgan can do as the slot WR and I think/hope you will see him rotate some with Issac Bruce.

I think Crabs is a distracted for the Texans more then anything. I'd say he gets 4 catches for 45 yards and a score. The thing with multiple receiver sets is pass protection....do we have that?
Bottom line: We have to win this game, this is a big game coming out of our bye. We lose this game and we are 3-3 going into Indy next wk. Winning this game would obviously put us to 4-2 and give us a little cusion and room for error going down the stretch but losing would be a big setback and really limit our chances of winning the division. It's simple for us, we have to run the ball, play good defense and not turn the ball over. But we (Jimmy Raye/Shuan Hill) also have to show we can be a little creative and move the ball through the air. Getting a early lead would be huge, esspecially if we can get up 10-0 or 14-0 because it will limit the Texans playaction bootlegs that they do oh so well.
I agree with everything you say here. We need this game and winning this game is the difference between a Mike Nolan team and what we'd expect a Mike Singletary team to be.
Big game, I feel the same way going into this game like I did when we were going into the Arizona game opening week....Uncertain! Im just not sure what to expect but I do know we need to win!
Originally posted by GoreForMore:
haha im looking for a win and hopefully an autograph or 2

Im expecting a solid turnout of 49er fans at the game tomorrow....
pass rush, pass rush, pass rush will be the key to this game. We give Shaub all day, we're done.
Things that will happen:
Crabtree will have a nice game and will open things up for the offense
Bruce will be the one that takes the hit in playing time regardless of who starts
Gore will have a huge game
The offense will score between 24-35 pts
The defense will give up no more than 14 pts
P.Haralson will have 2 or more sacks
Clements will have his best game of the year
Pashos will do a nice job
Snyder will do much better than Rachal at RG
Roman will be responsible for a min of 1 TD
THE 9ERS WILL WIN BIG
Manusky needs to show that he can coach. time to ramp up some new blitzes. It's apparant that Manny and Parys aren't gonna get it done send some pressure. And not that standard blitz up the middle that the whole league has watched on tape. Secondary gonna get toasted any way you cut if there is no pressure on Schaub might aswell send some heat.
I would love to see Jimmy Raye call a bomb to Crabtree on our very first offensive play of the game. We used to do this pretty regularly in the golden era with Montana to Rice, and Young to Rice. Always takes the opposing secondary out of their game a bit. And when it works its an incredible way to get things rolling.
Originally posted by ninerlegacy:
I would love to see Jimmy Raye call a bomb to Crabtree on our very first offensive play of the game. We used to do this pretty regularly in the golden era with Montana to Rice, and Young to Rice. Always takes the opposing secondary out of their game a bit. And when it works its an incredible way to get things rolling.

we always script our 1st few plays and they always run up the gut the 1st play. i agree with you run a play action to crabtree deep and see what the kid can do.
The O line will continue to be average at best, with Stalay playing like an All Pro. Gore will rip a few big gains during a fight that otherwise keeps him humble. Gore will score ! We will have receivers and tight end open much of the time but Hill will be scrambling for his life and be lucky to get the ball to our open players. Our defense will be knockng the snot out of this team like the season is on the line, Roman will do well enough, he was a starter on the Green Bay superbowl teams and the only reason the Vikins won was because Favre did his magic, you have to accept that.

Bottom line....They score more points even though we beat the crap out of them.

We need to upgraqde to O line.