I think we can all agree that our defense has played relatively well as a whole. The main weakness is pass rush, but we have an above average and functional defense in our one-gap 3-4 scheme this season.
But what about after the 2009-2010 season?
- Our starting NT will be a free agent
- Haralson has failed to live up to his new contract thus far
- Manny Lawson has not and may not ever become that ideal pass rusher
- Michael Lewis will most likely be done with the 49ers
With the talent and depth available in the free agency and draft classes of 2010, and our current players strengths, wouldn't we get more talent and bang for our buck by opting for a base 4-3 defense?
- Lawson will fit better as a 4-3 LB. Haralson can be used as a rotational pass rushing threat at OLB or DE.
- Balmer can be utilized as a starter at the DT position.
- Guys like Adewale Ogunleye, Mark Anderson, and Derrick Burgess will be available as 4-3 DEs that have demonstrated the ability to rush the passer.
- Players like Aaron Kampman and mis-utilized in their current schemes and may be aquired via free agency or through trade for reasonable price.
- Many of the top DE prospects are "tweeners" but some of the bigger frame prospects can play and dominate in the 4-3 defense.
So what do you think?
[ Edited by GEEK on Oct 24, 2009 at 12:50 PM ]