There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The future of our defense

  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 17,149
I think we can all agree that our defense has played relatively well as a whole. The main weakness is pass rush, but we have an above average and functional defense in our one-gap 3-4 scheme this season.

But what about after the 2009-2010 season?

- Our starting NT will be a free agent
- Haralson has failed to live up to his new contract thus far
- Manny Lawson has not and may not ever become that ideal pass rusher
- Michael Lewis will most likely be done with the 49ers

With the talent and depth available in the free agency and draft classes of 2010, and our current players strengths, wouldn't we get more talent and bang for our buck by opting for a base 4-3 defense?

- Lawson will fit better as a 4-3 LB. Haralson can be used as a rotational pass rushing threat at OLB or DE.

- Balmer can be utilized as a starter at the DT position.

- Guys like Adewale Ogunleye, Mark Anderson, and Derrick Burgess will be available as 4-3 DEs that have demonstrated the ability to rush the passer.

- Players like Aaron Kampman and mis-utilized in their current schemes and may be aquired via free agency or through trade for reasonable price.

- Many of the top DE prospects are "tweeners" but some of the bigger frame prospects can play and dominate in the 4-3 defense.

So what do you think?
[ Edited by GEEK on Oct 24, 2009 at 12:50 PM ]
We really need Eric Berry now!

Go 49ers!
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 17,149
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
We really need Eric Berry now!

Go 49ers!

Except that won't solve our pass rushing woes.
Im so sick of hearing how switching to a 43 is going to solve all of our problems. Our D is obviously on the right track and is only 1 or 2 players away from being great and you want to start over with a new scheme? Tell me how you think a team that has been learning a scheme for the past 4 seasons is going to get better by starting over learning a new defense.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
We really need Eric Berry now!

Go 49ers!

Except that won't solve our pass rushing woes.

Plenty of pass rushers on the market this offseason as well as OL.
Stay with the 3-4 defense. We need a stud playmaker either at safety or rush linebacker!
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 17,149
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Im so sick of hearing how switching to a 43 is going to solve all of our problems. Our D is obviously on the right track and is only 1 or 2 players away from being great and you want to start over with a new scheme? Tell me how you think a team that has been learning a scheme for the past 4 seasons is going to get better by starting over learning a new defense.

I just listed in my original post why it may be more feasible for us to have a BETTER defense by going back to the 4-3 defense to utilize our current talent.

It's not something I'd want. I love the 3-4 defense and hope we can find a way to bring a top 5 D to SF. But I am not sure if it's feasible.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Stay with the 3-4 defense. We need a stud playmaker either at safety or rush linebacker!

I completely agree.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
We really need Eric Berry now!

Go 49ers!

im watching eric berry put nasty hits on EVERY alabama player right now.

GET HIM ON THIS TEAM.

best player in the 2010 draft.
need a legyt pass rusher should be number 1 priority. peppers possibly. second get mount cody in the draft and let hime play NT . then need another safety since michael lewis career is reaching its end. I think Oline is more of a need though this offseason if we don't get to the defense.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Im so sick of hearing how switching to a 43 is going to solve all of our problems. Our D is obviously on the right track and is only 1 or 2 players away from being great and you want to start over with a new scheme? Tell me how you think a team that has been learning a scheme for the past 4 seasons is going to get better by starting over learning a new defense.

I just listed in my original post why it may be more feasible for us to have a BETTER defense by going back to the 4-3 defense to utilize our current talent.

It's not something I'd want. I love the 3-4 defense and hope we can find a way to bring a top 5 D to SF. But I am not sure if it's feasible.

Thats not what I read at all. And what makes you think we have the talent for a 43 when you have never seen most of our young players play within a 43 in the NFL?
Our D is already pretty solid. Hopefully we could we could pick up OJ Atogwe seeing as he's dating Sings daughter and a D lineman from the FA or draft. Though I think we should focus on O-lineman with our two first rounders unless we can trade down.
Originally posted by Mospeed:
Our D is already pretty solid. Hopefully we could we could pick up OJ Atogwe seeing as he's dating Sings daughter and a D lineman from the FA or draft. Though I think we should focus on O-lineman with our two first rounders unless we can trade down.

Actually I think if we focus on o linemen trading down to accumulate mid round picks to get them is the best option.

Knee injuries take two years to come back from and he could be cheap after this year
Originally posted by Jax49er:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
We really need Eric Berry now!

Go 49ers!

im watching eric berry put nasty hits on EVERY alabama player right now.

GET HIM ON THIS TEAM.

best player in the 2010 draft.

Yes Sir he should be on our radar the dude is a playmaker!!