There are 269 users in the forums

Chances of 3 or...4 Receiver Sets?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
What I would really like to see with the addition of Crabs to our sack...of receivers is to utilize some 3 receiver sets the rest of the season. Preferably Crabs, Josh Morgan and Brandon Jones, with Bruce subbing in occasionally. And if we're feeling cheeky, 4 receiver sets with Bruce (or preferably Jason Hill) in there. Not that our punter Hill could get it to everyone in the set.

Question, in a 3 or 4 receiver set, would Vernon still be part of the route tree or would he be kept in to block or subbed out?
I'll make sure too bookmark this thread.
I would hope there is no chance of 4 receiver sets since our receivers suck ass.
with hill at qb, not a chance for a 4 wr set. i can see us use 3 wr set when we are behind in the games.

If alex was the qb, i can see us going to a 3wr or 4wr set only because of his arm strength, im not saying he is accurate enough to hit the receivers, but atleast he has the tools to allow us to use the 4wr set
  • krizay
  • Veteran
For us to be successful passing. I truly believe we need to either keep the TE in to block or both backs in to block.

I don't care what set we are in we need more than the 5 guys up front to be successful.
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
with hill at qb, not a chance for a 4 wr set. i can see us use 3 wr set when we are behind in the games.

If alex was the qb, i can see us going to a 3wr or 4wr set only because of his arm strength, im not saying he is accurate enough to hit the receivers, but atleast he has the tools to allow us to use the 4wr set

Last night I had one of those moments where I realized if I were a coach on an opposing team, I wouldn't exactly be scared of the Niners offense. It would be very easy to plan a defensive scheme to stop this offense.

Bring up a DB or two to stack the box, possibly run blitz on almost every play, especially on first down. If they don't run on 1st, definitely will run on 2nd. Overload the right side of the line on almost every play. Double Crabtree and VD.
3 wide, 1 TE, 1 RB. draw play for 2.5 yards.

but seriously, the addition of crabs gives us another very good blocking WR and a legit deep threat so i can see the running game opening up more. hopefully we keep shaun hill up long enough for him to hit the receivers but gore and crabs are definitely a much needed boost of fire power to our anemic offense
The only time I remember seeing a 4 wide set this year, VD was lined up at WR.

I don't think the offense has had 4 WRs on the field at the same time this year. Kinda strange considering that we have 7 of them......
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
I would hope there is no chance of 4 receiver sets since our receivers suck ass.

Let's see in a 4 reciever set it would go reciever 1 covered, reciever 2 covered, reciever 3 sack........
So far this year, every time we have gone 4 wide, Vernon has been one of the receivers. If we went 4 wide with Vernon lined up at TE to block, that would mean we'd have an empty backfield. For some reason I don't see Raye trying something like that.

Putting Vernon in the backfield to block and then slip out for a dump pass would be a good plan. Of course, I doubt we make it that easy on ourselves.
Originally posted by Daniel2778:

It's not because of the qb, it's because the OL sucks to bad we cannot risk having so many WR's on the field because they cannot protect. We really need to because IMO we have 4 good WRs in Crabtree/Morgan/Jones/Hill and another has been that is guaranteed to see the field in Bruce.
After seeing what Alex Smith is capable of, we saw 3 and 4 receiver sets in this very game against the Texans. With Jason Hill and Brandon Jones deactivated, we had substandard receivers in our set, when it should've looked like: Crabtree, Morgan, Brandon Jones and Isaac Bruce.

If Alex is starting next week, we need to get his favorite receiver in training camp into the lineup. Smith was routinely throwing bombs to Brandon Jones in August. He must be happy that Hill has finally been benched, now that there's a QB who can throw vertically taking snaps behind center.

With Alex Smith in there, he incorporates the deep passing game and speedy players like Brandon Jones and Jason Hill, which in turn, also opens up the running game, since the defense can't clump all their line and DB's right in the middle of the field...which is predictably where we were running for no yardage.

I think we all saw throughout the season and particularly the Atlanta game that coaches had figured out how to stop Shaun Hill. It continued throughout the 1st half of the Texan's game as well. Except Alex Smith is not the kind of one dimensional player that Shaun Hill is. He adds numerous possibilities rather than simply managing the game, as evidenced by Jimmy Raye's playcalling suddenly looking like Mike Shanahan.
Share 49ersWebzone