LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 294 users in the forums

You've got to be kidding......

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
If this is true, exactly what value does Spurlock have? Why is he on the roster? Adds nothing to the team at all.

Cutting Rossum and letting Sheets get away when the team only had 2 true RBs (robinson is not a true RB), 7(!!!) WRs on a "power" running team. And now Coffee returning kicks???

The decision making here is baffling.

especially when you think a team like the colts only has 5 wr's on their roster.
so..we all think coffee is going to fail?

Because he cant run the ball? Not like he had the best holes to work with....

Give the guy a chance
Originally posted by ads_2006:

Give the guy a chance

it's not just the fact that coffee will be returning kicks. It makes NO sense. He's the #2 running back. Spurlock is sitting on the sidelines with his thumb in his ass waiting for them to call a taser play so he can sniff the grass. On top of all that, they cut the best return man we've had in a long long time. All these moves just make no sense. Especially when you look at the type of offense we run. 7 Wr's on a power running team!! And you have your #2 RB returning kicks??
This is only good news if Walker is now our running back and we need to give him more touches because he has much mor runnung instinct than Coffee and isn't he bigger?
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

Give the guy a chance

it's not just the fact that coffee will be returning kicks. It makes NO sense. He's the #2 running back. Spurlock is sitting on the sidelines with his thumb in his ass waiting for them to call a taser play so he can sniff the grass. On top of all that, they cut the best return man we've had in a long long time. All these moves just make no sense. Especially when you look at the type of offense we run. 7 Wr's on a power running team!! And you have your #2 RB returning kicks??

I understand that and I agree. No reason to keep all those individuals.

However, we have to wait until we get the official word. I personally think J.Hill should get a shot at returning kicks.

Some people just think coffee is going to fail...that idk
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

Give the guy a chance

I understand that and I agree. No reason to keep all those individuals.

However, we have to wait until we get the official word. I personally think J.Hill should get a shot at returning kicks.

Some people just think coffee is going to fail...that idk

I'd love to see J.Hill touch the field way more often. When he and morgan were getting equal reps, I think Hill looked better.
Originally posted by MadMartz:
Originally posted by gravelburn:
Originally posted by MadMartz:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by djfullshred:

Seriously though, my comment is directed to those that sound off as though they are outraged about who they are trying to use as a return person before we even see that player get his chance to do it. I am not saying there is no place for discussion. It is the arrogant " know better than those dumb coaches"attitude that I am cracking on.

I don't understand how that's an act of "arrogance" at all. We are fans, this is our favorite NFL team on earth, and we feel like if there's a decision we disagree with we should be able to talk about it. If that's what you're talking about, I guess I'm arrogant. If a player is doing well on the practice field but not on the Football field, who the hell cares how he does in practice?

"Dude had 25 amazing catches in practice on Thursday!"
"Wow, how did he do during the game???"
"He had 1 catch for -1 yard. Looked terrible out there."

Uh...

It is arrogance when someone says a guy is going to suck at something before they have seen them ever try it. That attitiude fits the very definition of arrogance, and is the opposite of humlity, whereas someone would say they don't know until they see it.

I understand that people don't like to be called out on arrognace. It puts them in a defensive position. But a rose by any other name is still a rose.

Exactly, he never returned kicks in college so he isnt a returner. Now a rose is a rose but you cant call a rose a tulip.

As far as I know, Ronnie Lott didn't play CB in college, yet made it to the Pro Bowl at that position. I'm not saying Coffee will be a great returner, but the fact that he didn't return kicks in college has no bearing on whether or not he can return kicks. Also, those who are ready to point at his struggles filling in for Gore, remember he's a rookie and has been running behind an O-Line that's been pretty bad so far. There were a few times he didn't show good vision, but part of that might be him trying to stick to the play rather than just playing. He's got a ways to go as a pro football player, but it's waaay premature to be writing him off. Give the kid a chance. I'm sure most guys here weren't stellar at their jobs the first couple months either.

But Lott led the nation in INTs in college proving he had cover skills. What has Coffee done to prove he is even remotely a returner? I just dont see it working out. For you guys who think returner is no big deal just think back to Brandon Williams(and his fumbles and bobbles) and he was a returner in college and still couldnt cut the mustard. This is the NFL which is a different beast all together.

How about we find out this Sunday, then talk about how he did? If he does well, I am correct that we should hold off on harsh criticism. If he fails, I am still correct. Because all I am saying is give people a chance before putting them down.
This just in, next week Vernon davis will be the long snapper on special teams.
Maybe he showed something in practice. Thats usually how coaching desicions are made.
Hope we can get some decent returns.

Originally posted by boomer49er:
"No returning: Tight end Delanie Walker, who returned four kickoffs in the Atlanta game, will not return kicks Sunday in Houston. That duty goes to rookie running back Glen Coffee."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/23/SP371A9GD8.DTL

So we replace the joke of having a TE as our primary return man, and replace him with.........a slow RB with very little movement. If we just want to find the biggest man to return the ball lets just put Joe Staley back there, he was a TE after all......

Guys we have on the team with return experience:

Nate Clements
Reggie Smith (great return man in college)
Arnez Battle

I mean come on, can we at least put a guy back there who has a chance to break one for a big gain?

yeah and lets put Alex to PR !
Maiocco just tweeted that Singletary said that Walker will still handle kickoffs and Battle will handle punts.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Maiocco just tweeted that Singletary said that Walker will still handle kickoffs and Battle will handle punts.

Looks like Sing must have seen the outrage in this forum.
Originally posted by DesiDez:

Yep, Coffee must have muffed a couple in practice already! For those who thought this was a good idea, HA!
What's really funny is that anyone would actually suggest that Nate Clements should return kicks. Yes.. lets have our starting corner risk injury and return kicks when he doesnt have the speed to take anything the distance anyway.

Coffee, Battle, whatever... I think the Niners have much more pressing worries like stopping Andre Johnson and Matt Schaub.
Share 49ersWebzone