There are 115 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does Frank Gore mask our real problems?

Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Frnak was shut down vs Arizona, he only has one good game

O-line

Yet he still scored our two touchdowns that game. He was shut down (statistically) but still proved that he is the key to our offense. If Crabtree shows up he, like Gore, will make everyone around him, and on that side of the ball, better.

Thats just what great players do.

Blizzuntz..
yeah he was shut down running the ball vs AZ
and had a huge game vs Seattle
and got hurt in Minny.

hmm so he only played 2 games..and in the AZ game he had 2 tds...
seems like hes 2/2

playoffs '10 baby
[ Edited by momoney925 on Oct 23, 2009 at 5:42 PM ]
Originally posted by backontop:
Kind of hard to hide the fact that the OLine is probably the weakest OLine in the league

But he still seems to be able to run behind it. Imagine what he could do behind a good line...
It's because Barlow's always hurt.
He's basically another lineman protecting Hill. Gore gets the
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Silly question.

You take a teams best player away of course the team is not as good.

The great teams are the ones who can plug someone in his place and not miss a beat.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Kind of hard to hide the fact that the OLine is probably the weakest OLine in the league

But he still seems to be able to run behind it. Imagine what he could do behind a good line...

take away the 2 runs against Seattle and he is struggling just as much as Coffee
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Frnak was shut down vs Arizona, he only has one good game

O-line

Yet he still scored our two touchdowns that game. He was shut down (statistically) but still proved that he is the key to our offense. If Crabtree shows up he, like Gore, will make everyone around him, and on that side of the ball, better.

Thats just what great players do.

And I would have scored that second TD against ARI he was so wide open.

Does SanDiego also realize that we were within a half a foot on the backline from beating the Vikings without Gore?

I love Frank, but he's not Walter Payton.

IF you want to debate me about Gore's impact in Ari, I'm all for it.

but I still stick by my comment that great players make everyone around them better. Yes our o-line has been horrible, but Gore has proven he can lead us to scores, and if expectations are met, Crabtree will have a similar affect.
[ Edited by global_nomad on Oct 24, 2009 at 11:21 AM ]
Bingo for SDniner. After the first game frank missed, i wondered if our OL was really that bad...suspect, at least. The last game showed what many have suspected, but now know for certain, and that is with Gore running behind 1 or 2 good to decent blockers, we are a different team, and the other team cannot tee off on our QB, because we could run OR pass. With no gore, and 3 or 4 OL just awful, our woeful OL is on display, and last game, the display was pitiful...ok, pathetic. Somehow, i just don't see how a potential world beating WR can help an OL who gets our QB hit, sacked, or laid on his back every play. I could definitely see how a high pick OT (Oher) would have helped our #1 glaring problem.

But here's the thing. This line looked lousy last yr, and same for yr before. JoeC, i did not see our OL play well last yr, except in maybe in a few games. Mainly what i saw was a team needing a pair of starting OL from the draft, and an FA (Faneca was there but mcCLOWN didn't even take a sniff...he doesn't do OL, staley being the exception and i still have hopes for chilo). With frank, 3 or 4 lousy OLs can play poorly, but 1 or 2 can be enough for frank to scare another team. The book is out on this team...no frank, & we can't run with a for schidt OL, so everybody on D pins their ears back and drills shaun. Texasniner had it right, and so does SD. We are bereft of 3 starting slots on OL, and with no frank, everybody knows we can't run, because our OL can't block.
Our problems this year on offense are bad Oline, really bad oline, and at time the worst oline in the league. they give the running game no chance and hill no chance in the passing game.
gore is an elite player at rb in the league and he changes everything for us. adding a weapon like crabtree does the same thing. after crabs makes a few plays teams are going to start accounting for him and they won't be able to stack the box opening things up for the passing game.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
So are we really any good as a team when you take Gore out of the equation?

I don't think the Colts are very good without Peyton Manning, so does that mean they aren't a good team? No it does not. The Colts ARE a good team because the fact of the matter is Peyton Manning IS PART OF THE TEAM. Same thing with Frank Gore for us.
Gore has had two nice long runs that have been scores and yes that makes the line seem better than it is. The O line has run blocked well in the past years but they have consistently been bad at pass protection and blitz pick up for years now ------ and Gore helps them there too.

SanDiego49er : Hopefully Crabtree becomes another threat that helps this offense be more productive ------ I know that I am praying for those YAC and the scoring that Crabtree did in college.
[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Oct 25, 2009 at 2:51 AM ]
  • Mex49

Whose fault is that? They should not be asked back
Gore doesn't mask the problems, he highlights them. Aside from two great runs, he generally gets nothing.

Since the defenses line 8 guys up close, he will break one now and then. DCs seem to be ok with that.

Sure better than trying to defend last year's offense...
  • dust-7
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by carlgo:
Gore doesn't mask the problems, he highlights them. Aside from two great runs, he generally gets nothing.

Compare this with the 'noname' 1982 team.

What's the greatest difference?

D? We have Willis. Back then Lott. We have some name FA. They had Dean, Hacksaw, etc.

They became dominant. This D - SHOULD be, but isn't.

I'd hate to put it on Roman. But that team didn't have a Mark Roman. He's become our latest Sammy Smith. And I believe they played the 4-3. And they had guys who could play that, with Dean rushing.

As for the O, they had no name back or WR. Clark was good, but who knew? We've got an NFL star RB in Gore and now a phenom in Crabtree.

So why this O when compared with that O?

Everyone knows.

A) Joe Montana v Shaun Hill
B) Samurai Mike v Bill Walsh

Maybe some disagree with me.
Maybe just a bit, but...

I love when they talk about us on TV, it's the least they can do since not showing the games on the East Coast...

today on NFL countdown sunday with Boomer and them. Boom first pointed out that Gore's our offensive weapon and gonna have to have a good game in order for us to win. When they talked about Crabtre making a difference, Hodge said Johnson had more catches, yards, and Td's than all our WR's combined, and that the solution, (on the teleprompter), showed a photo of Shaun Hill and next to it, it read, "Has to distribute the ball to his WR's more, and pointing out that that VD is his main target, and should go to him more in todays game."

After it went back to Crabtree making a difference, while going back and forth on Crabtree's college skillz, Tom yelled out and Key, and coach agreed, "I think you need to worry about the Qb more, rather than what Crabtree can do on the field".

So thats why i say nah no masking it. Today is gonna say who we are.