There are 163 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alright, I am calling it big time...talent is as talent does.

Originally posted by Spoonerism:
Good to know he catches bricks because that is exactly what Hill puts up.

beat me to it.
Originally posted by B650:
Rice caught bricks too. I'm seeing the similarities already.


it was well documented that Rice had been doing this forever. I'm sure that's where any receiver got the idea.



Crabtree is the best WR we have. Start him. Plain and simple.
Unfortunately, much of Crabtree's success depends on how the O-Line performs. If they can't protect and we can't run the ball, CBs will press more and Hill will have less time, meaning Crabtree won't even see the ball. Still, I've got a feeling he's the real deal. Let's just hope our O-Line doesn't put a damper on his debut.
Originally posted by gravelburn:
Unfortunately, much of Crabtree's success depends on how the O-Line performs. If they can't protect and we can't run the ball, CBs will press more and Hill will have less time, meaning Crabtree won't even see the ball. Still, I've got a feeling he's the real deal. Let's just hope our O-Line doesn't put a damper on his debut.

I was all over these posts, and this one brought me down. I drink kool aid too, and expect to see a much more disaplined "unit" on offense Sunday. The focal point of the bye week. Watch us score.
Originally posted by B650:
Rice caught bricks too. I'm seeing the similarities already.


I remember reading as a kid that Jerry caught bricks because his father was in masonry.

Can the original poster find an article about Crabtree and bricks? I found this:


"When I was younger, my brother used to throw the ball as hard as he could. He was six years older than me," Crabtree said. "I got tired of catching it with my chest - it was kind of hurting my chest. So I started using my hands more."

The 49ers' newest receiver said he also practices catching tennis balls one- and two-handed in order to "try to see the ball the whole way."

Rice had his bricks thrown by his bricklayer father, Crabtree has his tennis balls.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 23, 2009 at 6:35 AM ]
I was really turned off by the holdout, I didnt think we could sign him...but if he gets at least 5 catches and a TD in his debut...I'm gonna be drinking kool aid the rest of the season
Kind of a neat video here as well:


http://www.ninersnation.com/2009/5/3/863561/top-5-reasons-michael-crabtree-has
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 23, 2009 at 6:37 AM ]
There is almost no denying that Crabs has the potential to be a stud. Most likely a Boldin type who uses his size and skill to make plays. (He doesn't have breakaway speed, but has he other tools to create seperation or to make a play without seperation.)

But as you said, talent is as talent does, and he is at perhaps the most other position dependant spot on the field. And unfortunatly, our biggest, most glaring needs in terms of derth of talent on this team are on the Oline and at QB. And we did NOTHING this off season to address that.

As such, there is only so much anyone on the offense can do, in spite of individual efforts or talent.

And being a rook who missed all of TC and the first part of the season, there is only so much Crabs will be able to do early on and perhaps for most of the season. Hell, it's pretty rare for any rookie WR who was in camp to make a big impact year one.

So, while I agree that Crabs is the most talented WR on our roster, and his skills fit our offense (great for screens and short passes with YAC), it will be hard for him to make the impact he could or should until the talent around him improves.

Having him is better than not having him, but between who is blocking for him and throwing to him and his lack of experience, I wouldn't expect too much too quick.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by Spoonerism:
Good to know he catches bricks because that is exactly what Hill puts up.

beat me to it.

i still cant believe that shot
We can only hope.

However, I think you have to take this "talent is as talent does" to it's logical conclusion. We do not have the talent at QB to do anything. We have the RB, the emerging TE, and now, *hopefully* the WR. Still no QB, and that is what makes everything click. By the time we get one, Hopefully Gore still has it left in the tank, Davis has become more polished as a receiver, and Crabs as developed. That way the new kid actually has the tools around him to be successful.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Kind of a neat video here as well:


http://www.ninersnation.com/2009/5/3/863561/top-5-reasons-michael-crabtree-has

Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Kind of a neat video here as well:


http://www.ninersnation.com/2009/5/3/863561/top-5-reasons-michael-crabtree-has


Yeah, kind of weird about the top 5, not sure if he is being real or not. The WR comparison is cool though.
Originally posted by elguapo:
i think he will be a top 10 wr by the end of the year....the question is will he even get the chance to show his stuff or make enough plays??? probably not but that doesn't change the fact that he will be great. WHEN he gets the ball he will do some god if not great things.

At the very least by the end of the year i think he will be a #1 wr and that's what the niners do need.

What?
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by elguapo:
i think he will be a top 10 wr by the end of the year....the question is will he even get the chance to show his stuff or make enough plays??? probably not but that doesn't change the fact that he will be great. WHEN he gets the ball he will do some god if not great things.

At the very least by the end of the year i think he will be a #1 wr and that's what the niners do need.

What?

Yeah, given the games his has missed and the fact that there has to be some learning curve (just for any rook, let alone one who has missed all of TC and this many games) that is pretty much impossible.