There are 72 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Beginning games with short plays?

Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Bring back the 15 scripted plays!

im pretty sure i read an article on the home page that interviewed Raye and he said he scripted the first 20 plays.

I cant find the article now it was a couple of days ago. I could be wrong

lolz. i dont even wanna see that script.

run
run
run
punt
run
run
pass
punt
run
run
run
punt
run
pass
run
punt
run
run
run
punt
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Bring back the 15 scripted plays!

im pretty sure i read an article on the home page that interviewed Raye and he said he scripted the first 20 plays.

I cant find the article now it was a couple of days ago. I could be wrong

lolz. i dont even wanna see that script.

run
run
run
punt
run
run
pass
punt
run
run
run
punt
run
pass
run
punt
run
run
run
punt

i was wrong its the first 12 plays
Taking a page from Bill Walsh, new offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye will script the 49ers' opening plays long before kickoff of the opener against Arizona on Sunday.

Raye's list of plays goes about a dozen deep. Game circumstances might prevent him from running them in his preferred order, but other than that, they're set.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/sportsheadlines/ci_13312929

here is what i read

On whether he has always scripted his first plays:

Raye: "I've done it for as long as I've been coaching. I think Bill Walsh probably started it. I've coached with enough people that coached with him over the years that somewhere it became a part of what I started to do as a coordinator."

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/10/alls-quiet-in-final-hour-of-trade-deadline.html

so he scripts the first 12 plays i have no idea where i got the number 20 from
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
i say we throw a hail mary to crabtree on the first play !

i second that! set the stage early! would be nice, but i forgot we have Hill throwing
[ Edited by mryan1004 on Oct 22, 2009 at 11:48 AM ]
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
This thought keeps going over & over in my head

First play of the game we start from our own 17 yard line, it's a PA play, Crabtree catches a 15 yard pass and takes it all the way for a 83 yard TD.

Too bad it wont happen

not gonna happen birdman. deal with it.

I said 70 yard TD the day we drafted him lol
the first play to crabtree should be the one that morgan did against the falcons but crabtree doesnt get caught at the 1 yard line
the first play to crabtree should be the one that morgan did against the falcons but crabtree doesnt get caught at the 1 yard line

that was bad coverage and no safety help, Crabtree is gonna be a marked man, which in turn may be right up our skiddish qb's alley, so he can just dump the ball to him quickly on a slant pattern
Originally posted by Juniorminime:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Why not take a couple shots downfield out of a 4 WR package then a 2 TE package...keep em guessing rather than send Gore/Coffee up the middle three plays in a row then punt

Do we even have a 4 WR package??

I have yet to see one, it would be nice to see it, we could even run out of that formation, but Raye is so out of touch I doubt we'll ever see him mix it even a little bit...man I miss having a creative OC

This type of offense is entirely predicated on misdirection, primarily the Play Action Pass.

I'm sorry, but our running game has done absolutely nothing to warrant a defense to fall for the Play Action therefore, this is what happens.

We run for a yard, maybe 2 and now the defensive coordinator feels fine with the run defense of the front 7 and begins to call more defenses to stop the "threating" 3rd and 7 pass play.

We try and play action, FS, SS and MLBs do not bite so they stay with their assignments. At the same time, Hill barely has time to throw and quickly checks it down.

Some QBs are exeptions. Aaron Rodgers and Big Ben are very poise in the pocket and have the arm to get the ball out with velocity in a split second.

MOST QBs vision gets worse as they are pressure more often and it looks as if they are playing against 14 men on defense which is why they cannot find open players deeper down field.

Take a look at Peyton Manning during years he was sacked a lot: not very impressive.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Take a look at Peyton Manning during years he was sacked a lot: not very impressive.

That's the longest reach I've ever seen.
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by Joecool:

That's the longest reach I've ever seen.

Don't worry, I have ruled out Alex Smith under Hostler a long time ago due to the clueless offense we were running.

One thing is for sure, Shaun Hill protects the ball from the strip sacks better than any QB we have had up to this point for the past 5 years. His numbers are slightly better but his turnover ratio under similar conditions is multiples better.