There are 215 users in the forums

singletary MAKING BIG MISTAKES.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by nyfl9erfan:
SanDiego,

I must laugh at the way that you incite the board. You have always been negative but your original and repeated use of "PEP RALLY" as the definitive adjective for the coach's timeout's just shows how little you really know. Wait, it actually perfectly captures your bias against Sing, the Yorks, the 49'ers, and whomever.

Because you describe it as a "PEP RALLY" timeout, that's what it is? That says to me that you have never played football (likely any TEAM sport for that matter) as you clearly do not get it. The two examples cited in this thread have yielded mixed; one good an one bad result...but you keep calling it a PEP RALLY timeout.

Has anyone ever said to you "Hey, wait a second and think about what you are doing (or about to do, or where you are or whatever)?. Maybe in your case not, because you seem to be fairly close to all-knowing and omniscient.

Any good leader will keep his/her fingers on the pulse of the team being led and occasionally ask for a quick check on status, focus, whatever, to insure that the TEAM is focused on the immediate task at hand.

Does it always work? Not always, but from experience, it helps. Maybe you ought to check your 'focus' (or have a PEP RALLY with yourself), see if your TEAM (of one or two, I am sure) can maintain their focus to accomplish the task at hand, whatever TF yours is.

PS - my apologies to other posters in this thread for quoting something on the 2nd page...I am too tired to read all of the drivel to get to the end...

-9fA
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
The whole time out issue is nitpicking for the sake of something to complain about. Mike Singletary is Mike Singletary and he is his own individual, if he wasn't you'd complain about that.

And if you truly believe Coaches like BW, Jimmy Johnson or any other HC (be it one who is good to great or one who is not cut out to be a HC) would not call or have not called a timeout because they see their players are gassed (which is fairly normal last I checked when the D is on the field for nearly 2/3rd's of the game), are losing their focus due to being frustrated and flustered which in turn usually causes mental mistakes to be made then you are being ignorant to that fact.

No matter how prepared you are one small mental mistake can lead to a big play or chain of mental mistakes that results in a momentum swing in your opponents favor. "Pep Rally" timeouts are in fact common in the NFL and are called to try and stop a team's momentum and get your team back on the same page and get your guys a quick breather. It has nothing to do with the team's preparation during the week and you can't really prepare for all in game adjustments that teams will make. You seriously need to stop being ignorant to the fact and accept it. You don't have to like it but you should become accepting of it because it likely will never go away.

Here's the problem blowing your timeouts also leads to missing out on a momentum swings. Either it costs you time at the end of the half which potentially costs you points or it costs you a challenge which is probally going to be a momentum swinging play, and in our case definetily was.

You can't burn multiple timeouts early in the half on rah rah speeches. That's poor management.

Which is why teams practice the no huddle and 2 minute offense and have to be prepared to run it with all or none of your timeouts. They prepare for situations like that.

Also sometimes those challenges are not overturned no matter how clear it is to you or me if the ref can't see indisputable evidence they can't overturn the call and there are times that refs flat out blow a reviewed call. You can't count on a challenge to swing the momentum thus why you have to assure your team doesn't allow for too many mental mistakes and if calling a timeout to get everyone back on the same page is what is needed then do it. You preferably want to save your timeouts but you have to use them to your advantage and sometimes a "pep rally" timeout can work to your advantage. Others it will bite you in the ass but so much of football is risk vs reward and you have to take certain risks.

Our team should practice the 2 minute offense and be prepared to run it with no timeouts. WOW.

Really? That's a nice way to put this young under talented team at a huge disadvantage.
Originally posted by nyfl9erfan:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I do have a big problem with PEP RALLY TIMEOUTS. That should be ZERO. PEP RALLY's are for practice. Game timeouts are to stop the clock at the end of half or end of game or for challenges.

Yelling at other teams players is well below HC material.

It's not like we are wasting them like Mike Martz. I agree with what you are saying but both times they where needed. Basically Singletary sees us losing momentum and falling apart and he tried to stop it. Nothing wrong with using them to try to turn around the game.

The timeouts WERE NOT NEEDED! A complete waste. Timeouts are for:

~ End of half.
~ End of game.
~ Challenges.

That is it period. If a HC doesn't know that he shouldn't be HC.

at this post..... Timeouts maybe for those three things, but they have been used for various reason through out football history.... I LOVE THE WAY SINGLETARY chooses to use ours.....

you my look at it as a Pep talk.... I look at it as situations were our defense looked tired and were giving up considerable yardage......so a timeout to rest them and at the same time rest them mentally for a short period of time, while reminding them what the situation is and what to look out for....is very necessary, I don't expect our Defense to play Perfect all the time.

like I have said before Atlanta's coach Smith made a wonderful decision to call for a playaction and a deep pass after that timeout..... he knew that the 9er defense wanted to make a play bad for each other and coach....and were most likely going to be aggressive.......so I think everyone on Defense learned from that play....in the future, yes SD we are still going to use those types of time outs, in the future I'm sure they will look out for a misdirection play after those types of time outs.....

When did Bill Walsh ever use timeouts like use? When did Jimmy Johnson ever use timeouts like this?

If he wants to be the motivational PEP RALLY guy mabye he can be our MASCOT instead of our HC. I'm calling rediculous when I see it. It's absurd they way he uses timeouts and he WILL COST US GAMES!

SanDiego,

I must laugh at the way that you incite the board. You have always been negative but your original and repeated use of "PEP RALLY" as the definitive adjective for the coach's timeout's just shows how little you really know. Wait, it actually perfectly captures your bias against Sing, the Yorks, the 49'ers, and whomever.

Because you describe it as a "PEP RALLY" timeout, that's what it is? That says to me that you have never played football (likely any TEAM sport for that matter) as you clearly do not get it. The two examples cited in this thread have yielded mixed; one good an one bad result...but you keep calling it a PEP RALLY timeout.

Has anyone ever said to you "Hey, wait a second and think about what you are doing (or about to do, or where you are or whatever)?. Maybe in your case not, because you seem to be fairly close to all-knowing and omniscient.

Any good leader will keep his/her fingers on the pulse of the team being led and occasionally ask for a quick check on status, focus, whatever, to insure that the TEAM is focused on the immediate task at hand.

Does it always work? Not always, but from experience, it helps. Maybe you ought to check your 'focus' (or have a PEP RALLY with yourself), see if your TEAM (of one or two, I am sure) can maintain their focus to accomplish the task at hand, whatever TF yours is.

PS - my apologies to other posters in this thread for quoting something on the 2nd page...I am too tired to read all of the drivel to get to the end...

Yeah, I thought PEP RALLYs had cheerleaders, mascots, and bonfires and stuff. I didn't see any of those in the huddle during Singletary's timeout.

You gonna have a PEP RALLY with yourself like he suggests, SD? lol.

Seems you've been accused of hyperbole in the first degree.
The whole time out issue is nitpicking for the sake of something to complain about. Mike Singletary is Mike Singletary and he is his own individual, if he wasn't you'd complain about that.

And if you truly believe Coaches like BW, Jimmy Johnson or any other HC (be it one who is good to great or one who is not cut out to be a HC) would not call or have not called a timeout because they see their players are gassed (which is fairly normal last I checked when the D is on the field for nearly 2/3rd's of the game), are losing their focus due to being frustrated and flustered which in turn usually causes mental mistakes to be made then you are being ignorant to that fact.

No matter how prepared you are one small mental mistake can lead to a big play or chain of mental mistakes that results in a momentum swing in your opponents favor. "Pep Rally" timeouts are in fact common in the NFL and are called to try and stop a team's momentum and get your team back on the same page and get your guys a quick breather. It has nothing to do with the team's preparation during the week and you can't really prepare for all in game adjustments that teams will make. You seriously need to stop being ignorant to the fact and accept it. You don't have to like it but you should become accepting of it because it likely will never go away.

Here's the problem blowing your timeouts also leads to missing out on a momentum swings. Either it costs you time at the end of the half which potentially costs you points or it costs you a challenge which is probally going to be a momentum swinging play, and in our case definetily was.

You can't burn multiple timeouts early in the half on rah rah speeches. That's poor management.

Which is why teams practice the no huddle and 2 minute offense and have to be prepared to run it with all or none of your timeouts. They prepare for situations like that.

Also sometimes those challenges are not overturned no matter how clear it is to you or me if the ref can't see indisputable evidence they can't overturn the call and there are times that refs flat out blow a reviewed call. You can't count on a challenge to swing the momentum thus why you have to assure your team doesn't allow for too many mental mistakes and if calling a timeout to get everyone back on the same page is what is needed then do it. You preferably want to save your timeouts but you have to use them to your advantage and sometimes a "pep rally" timeout can work to your advantage. Others it will bite you in the ass but so much of football is risk vs reward and you have to take certain risks.

Our team should practice the 2 minute offense and be prepared to run it with no timeouts. WOW.

Really? That's a nice way to put this young under talented team at a huge disadvantage.

So now you're saying that the timeouts should be saved to be used during 2 minute offense cuz "this young under talented team" would need them then?

But the same "young under talented team" SHOULDN'T use a TO to regain their composure when they struggle in the first quarter?

You're not making sense here.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Oct 22, 2009 at 4:55 PM ]
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

So now you're saying that the timeouts should be saved to be used during 2 minute offense cuz "this young under talented team" would need them then?

But the same "young under talented team" SHOULDN'T use a TO to regain their composure when the other side hands it to them in the first quarter?

You need them for:

~ End of half
~ End of game
~ Challenges

But the same "young under talented team" SHOULDN'T use a TO to regain their composure when the other side hands it to them in the first quarter?

You need them for:

~ End of half
~ End of game
~ Challenges

Sez who?

I agree that time outs should be considered precious, to be used carefully and sparingly.

But if a coach sees his team struggling, panic stricken, or perhaps just sleep walking, I am unaware of any rule that says that coach cannot call a timeout and address the situtation, anytime during the game. Particularly with a "young, undertalented team," such a timeout may be necessary at times other than those you've randomly listed.

Its not like Singletary called two timeouts in a row to try to "ice" a kicker, like a certain super bowl winning, HOF coach once did.

Pretty thin evidence upon which to base your sweeping condemnation of Coach Singletary. IMHO.

You need them for:

~ End of half
~ End of game
~ Challenges

Sez who?

I agree that time outs should be considered precious, to be used carefully and sparingly.

But if a coach sees his team struggling, panic stricken, or perhaps just sleep walking, I am unaware of any rule that says that coach cannot call a timeout and address the situtation, anytime during the game. Particularly with a "young, undertalented team," such a timeout may be necessary at times other than those you've randomly listed.

Its not like Singletary called two timeouts in a row to try to "ice" a kicker, like a certain super bowl winning, HOF coach once did.

Pretty thin evidence upon which to base your sweeping condemnation of Coach Singletary. IMHO.

If the team is struggling, panic stricken or sleep walking that is a direct reflection on the HC.
it took Nolan like 2 years for us to hate him and after 1 game it sounds like u guys wanna give him the boot already. chill people it was one game

You need them for:

~ End of half
~ End of game
~ Challenges

Sez who?

If the team is struggling, panic stricken or sleep walking that is a direct reflection on the HC.

Especially so IF HE DOESN"T CALL A TIME OUT to address the problem.

So, presumably then you have reversed your original position, and are now impressed that Singletary was heady enough to see a problem and immediately address it with a PEP RAL. . . er, time out.

Congrats. You have either completely reversed yourself, or you are attempting to perfect the fine art of talking out of both sides of your mouth, at once.
Originally posted by gravelburn:
The argument that Crabtree shouln't get much time because he doesn't know the playbook is like saying Braylon Edwards should have sat out the first few games with the Jets while he learned their playbook. The fact is you want your best weapons on the field. I can't imagine Crabtree knows the playbook as well as Morgan, but the coaches obviously think that despite his late arrival, he still has some play-making ability that would be a waste if he were to be on the sideline.

Of course Singletary has to worry about how any preferential treatment might affect the rest of the team, but if Crabtree produces, no one will question it. Then again if he doesn't produce, Singletary needs to pull him back.

At this point we can't judge either way. We'll know more on Sunday (if the O-Line and Hill execute) and will continue to learn more with every week. Singletary IS taking a chance by throwing Crabtree into the mix right away, but he obviously thinks it's a risk worth taking. I'd rather have that kind of a coach than one not willing to take a risk when the outcome could help the team. Of course, as I said, whether this risk pays off remains to be seen.

Singletary is a dynamic coach who does things differently than what we're used to seeing from other NFL coaches. He takes some risks and pays for it at times. He's also very new at this and is continuing to learn. And that's what's most important- that he learns from the mistakes he makes. This team is not going to win it all this year (barring something miraculous), so right about now I welcome Singletary's risk-taking and learning.

Up until this last game, as a fan you had to be impressed with the team's (well at least the defense's) new-found inspired play. If we can see more of that along with more maturity and consistent execution, Singletary could be building something special. We definitely have lots of room for improvement in all areas, but let's not be so quick to label a decision bad because we're a long way from knowing how this story will end. I certainly prefer this to a coach who doesn't make adjustments despite obvious flaws. Have a little patience, because Singletary inherited a bad team. Change takes time (whether it be bad team to good team or HOF LB to NFL head coach) and that's whet we've got to give Singletary.

I only have one thing to address in your conundrum.

Braylon Edwards is a 5 year Vet.

Crabs is a Rookie with absolutely ZERO experience at the NFL level.

I mean you might as well have stated something along the lines of...

"Well Brett Favre started for the Vikings without having Camped with them and learned their playbook, so Nate Davis should be starting because he lit up 3rd and 4th teamers in the Preseason and he did go to Camp."

See the inequality here?

Edwards is a PROVEN Receiver who knows how to run NFL routes.

Crabtree has had what 2 weeks of catchup?

~Ceadder

well you know what they say....go BIG or go home
  • bambam52
  • Info N/A
and all of this happens when we loose to the Atlanta falcons a good playoff team , alright they just whoop us on all phases FACE IT ,DEAL WITH IT coach sing will have this team back on track
Originally posted by bambam52:
and all of this happens when we loose to the Atlanta falcons a good playoff team , alright they just whoop us on all phases FACE IT ,DEAL WITH IT coach sing will have this team back on track

I don't mind if we lose but it's the mis management of the timeouts and play calling and personnel management that concern me.
  • bambam52
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by bambam52:

I don't mind if we lose but it's the mis management of the timeouts and play calling and personnel management that concern me.

thats fair but when coffee is on the field making 12 players and the offense not able to get the snap before that play clock expires what can he do take the penalty and besides we gotta realize that its actually his first official year as coach

You need them for:

~ End of half
~ End of game
~ Challenges

Sez who?

So what are you saying, Sing should do nothing? Or should he... call a timeout and regroup?
Share 49ersWebzone